S2460 BIOS...interesting

R. J. Salvi

I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported chip"
error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be so kind
to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing mine.

Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS Ver.
2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I won't
know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same chipset, it
looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite correctly. This might
be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't mentioned. fwiw...

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XcvTd.12058$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be
>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
>mine.
>
> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I
> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
> mentioned. fwiw...
>
> --
> Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
> http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
> San Diego, CA USA
> (858) 485-7514

What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

R. J. Salvi

<SnowGhost> wrote in message
news:421eea2a$0$30554$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XcvTd.12058$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
>>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd be
>>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
>>mine.
>>
>> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
>> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed, I
>> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
>> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
>> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
>> mentioned. fwiw...

> What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
San Diego, CA USA
(858) 485-7514

Miloman

"R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iCOTd.29377$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <SnowGhost> wrote in message
> news:421eea2a$0$30554$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:XcvTd.12058$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I had version 1.04 BIOS and when flashing, I'd receive an "unsupported
> >>chip" error message. So I called Tyan tech support and asked if they'd

be
> >>so kind to send me a version 1.05 chip because I had problems flashing
> >>mine.
> >>
> >> Well...they sent me a new chip alright...one from the Thunder K7, BIOS
> >> Ver. 2.14. And you know what? It boots up! Until I get an OS installed,

> >> won't know if there are any issues, but given they both use the same
> >> chipset, it looks promising and it also recognizes the CPUs quite
> >> correctly. This might be a Tyan unsupported tweak that they haven't
> >> mentioned. fwiw...

> > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

> If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

Is there any news?
Paul (ver curious!)

R. J. Salvi

"Miloman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42395710$0$800$(E-Mail Removed) t.nl...
> "R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iCOTd.29377$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <SnowGhost> wrote in message
>> news:421eea2a$0$30554$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:XcvTd.12058$(E-Mail Removed)...

> be

>> > What, if any, improvements or changes are there, do you know?

>> If I have time to work on it this weekend, I'll post the info.

> Is there any news?
> Paul (ver curious!)

Sorry guys, I haven't gotten into it yet. I'll try to take some digipics of
the various BIOS screens and post a URL for you to view them. I've just been
overwhelmed with biz and haven't had time to explore the 2460. As soon as I
do, I'll be sure to post results.

Fwiw, the box has WinXP SP2 installed and it runs perfectly/hauls ass.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
San Diego, CA USA
(858) 485-7514

Re: S2460 - Beep codes... del.puncutation_&_chars.except-this-ch.u&r*r#i.tz-to.email@cts.com Tyan 0 07-20-2003 03:18 PM
Tiger s2460 Dual AMD BIOS bug ? version 1.03 Clueless Tyan 1 07-18-2003 05:36 AM
TSM 2.13 and still no S2460 support Ron Fluegge Tyan 8 07-15-2003 11:37 PM
Need a case for S2460 gd Tyan 2 07-07-2003 06:51 PM
Re: Is ANYONE running linux with s2460? Richard A. Hecker Tyan 0 06-27-2003 07:05 PM