S2885ANRF Reboots or Locks Up When Case Is Jarred

J. Hinkey

I've had a S2885ANRF running two Opteron 252's for a couple of years now and have suffered reboots and lock-ups when the case is jarred. Not
every time it's touched does it do this, but every time it has re-booted or locked-up it's because of touching or jarring the case in some small
way.

I recently re-installed the OS due to a corrupted HD that was a result of one of these lock-up events.

What should I look for or replace in an attempt to cure this?
How can I tell if it's the motherboard?

The PS is the cheapest to replace - I've swapped RAM with another machine and this did not change anything.

It has a 460W - Enermax 465P-VE-24P ATX-EPS/SSI power supply, PNY Quadro FX500 AGP card, 4 GB ram, 3 SATA HDs, 6 80mm fans, and a DVD-ROM -
that's it.
Do I need a larger power supply?
A new motherboard?

Thanks for any help!

- John

abovill@gmail.com

Honestly, I'd check for shorts on the bottom of the motherboard
against the case. That would certainly cause a reboot. maybe it's
just not close enough to short unless you jar the case.

On Feb 8, 6:49 pm, "J. Hinkey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've had a S2885ANRF running two Opteron 252's for a couple of years now and have suffered reboots and lock-ups when the case is jarred. Not
> every time it's touched does it do this, but every time it has re-booted or locked-up it's because of touching or jarring the case in some small
> way.
>
> I recently re-installed the OS due to a corrupted HD that was a result of one of these lock-up events.
>
> What should I look for or replace in an attempt to cure this?
> How can I tell if it's the motherboard?
>
> The PS is the cheapest to replace - I've swapped RAM with another machine and this did not change anything.
>
> It has a 460W - Enermax 465P-VE-24P ATX-EPS/SSI power supply, PNY Quadro FX500 AGP card, 4 GB ram, 3 SATA HDs, 6 80mm fans, and a DVD-ROM -
> that's it.
> Do I need a larger power supply?
> A new motherboard?
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> - John

J. Hinkey

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Honestly, I'd check for shorts on the bottom of the motherboard
> against the case. That would certainly cause a reboot. maybe it's
> just not close enough to short unless you jar the case.
>
> On Feb 8, 6:49 pm, "J. Hinkey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've had a S2885ANRF running two Opteron 252's for a couple of years now and have suffered reboots and lock-ups when the case is jarred. Not
>> every time it's touched does it do this, but every time it has re-booted or locked-up it's because of touching or jarring the case in some small
>> way.
>>
>> I recently re-installed the OS due to a corrupted HD that was a result of one of these lock-up events.
>>
>> What should I look for or replace in an attempt to cure this?
>> How can I tell if it's the motherboard?
>>
>> The PS is the cheapest to replace - I've swapped RAM with another machine and this did not change anything.
>>
>> It has a 460W - Enermax 465P-VE-24P ATX-EPS/SSI power supply, PNY Quadro FX500 AGP card, 4 GB ram, 3 SATA HDs, 6 80mm fans, and a DVD-ROM -
>> that's it.
>> Do I need a larger power supply?
>> A new motherboard?
>>
>> Thanks for any help!
>>
>> - John

Thanks - I did not think of this and I'll take a look. I'm going to replace the PS anyways just in case.

- John

Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown Bill Barker Overclocking 4 01-06-2005 02:47 AM
Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown Bill Barker Asus 2 01-04-2005 11:25 AM
Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown Bill Barker AMD Overclocking 2 01-04-2005 12:46 AM
Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown Bill Barker ATI 0 01-03-2005 10:11 PM
Old mobo locks up intermittently and/or reboots on shutdown Bill Barker Asus 0 12-24-2004 12:28 AM