SABERTOOTH X58 sometimes loses RAIDo

ulixi@emmail.it

Hi, I have a new PC and something I get problems with RAID0.
I use Windows 7, Asus SABERTOOTH X58 motherboard, one hard drive for
OS and two hard drives with RAID0.
Sometimes I cannot open that Volume because my PC don't see that
Volume, I think there is a problem with drives. When I turn off my PC
and then turn on it, the problem disappear. Why do I have that
problem? Can I solve it?
Thanks

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi, I have a new PC and something I get problems with RAID0.
> I use Windows 7, Asus SABERTOOTH X58 motherboard, one hard drive for
> OS and two hard drives with RAID0.
> Sometimes I cannot open that Volume because my PC don't see that
> Volume, I think there is a problem with drives. When I turn off my PC
> and then turn on it, the problem disappear. Why do I have that
> problem? Can I solve it?
> Thanks

There are problems with the Intel RST driver.

Either you want to use the Intel RAID driver that comes with
Windows 7. Or, look for a much more recent driver.

There is also at least one registry hack you can try.

The site to get the answers on, is here. Take your time
and do a site specific search for more information. This
issue, of RST dropping drives, having degraded arrays,
has been known for a while, so there are many many posts
here on the subject.

http://communities.intel.com/message/102024?tstart=0

I also notice, when reading some of the threads on that
forum, that little is known about how RST works. And the
little things are discovered by the users, rather than
by reading the manual. For example, the Intel software
delivers a warning, when no warning is needed. It also
apparently will not correct errors when they happen, but
actual drive errors are resolved by doing some kind of
Drive Verify in the management console for the array.

Since you're using RAID 0, there is no redundancy, so
doing Drive Verify would be pointless. There is no
rebuild to do either. You are doing the correct procedure,
which is to turn off the computer, as recovery of the RAID 0
will work, as soon as both drives are detected. So the
procedure you're currently doing, is the best you can do.

But to fix the issue long term, you can try changing driver
versions, using the LPMSTATE registry hack, and also
check to see if you have any other RAID controllers
present in the system. At least one user, noted his X58
motherboard, only has RAID problems on the Intel ports,
when an LSI Logic RAID controller is added to the
system.

So it's a complicated issue, in terms of what triggers it,
and what may fix it. And communities.intel.com is where
all the affected users meet, to discuss it.

Paul

ulixi@emmail.it

Paul, thanks a lot for your suggestion.
I know a little english and I'm afraid to make a mistake. I'd like to
change driver to SABERTOOTH X58, can you help me telling the precise
driver I have to download, please?
Is it sufficient I install the new driver or do I have to make some
other process too?
Thanks again

>There are problems with the Intel RST driver.
>
>Either you want to use the Intel RAID driver that comes with
>Windows 7. Or, look for a much more recent driver.
>
>There is also at least one registry hack you can try.
>
>The site to get the answers on, is here. Take your time
>and do a site specific search for more information. This
>issue, of RST dropping drives, having degraded arrays,
>has been known for a while, so there are many many posts
>here on the subject.
>
>http://communities.intel.com/message/102024?tstart=0
>
>I also notice, when reading some of the threads on that
>forum, that little is known about how RST works. And the
>little things are discovered by the users, rather than
>by reading the manual. For example, the Intel software
>delivers a warning, when no warning is needed. It also
>apparently will not correct errors when they happen, but
>actual drive errors are resolved by doing some kind of
>Drive Verify in the management console for the array.
>
>Since you're using RAID 0, there is no redundancy, so
>doing Drive Verify would be pointless. There is no
>rebuild to do either. You are doing the correct procedure,
>which is to turn off the computer, as recovery of the RAID 0
>will work, as soon as both drives are detected. So the
>procedure you're currently doing, is the best you can do.
>
>But to fix the issue long term, you can try changing driver
>versions, using the LPMSTATE registry hack, and also
>check to see if you have any other RAID controllers
>present in the system. At least one user, noted his X58
>motherboard, only has RAID problems on the Intel ports,
>when an LSI Logic RAID controller is added to the
>system.
>
>So it's a complicated issue, in terms of what triggers it,
>and what may fix it. And communities.intel.com is where
>all the affected users meet, to discuss it.
>
> Paul

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Paul, thanks a lot for your suggestion.
> I know a little english and I'm afraid to make a mistake. I'd like to
> change driver to SABERTOOTH X58, can you help me telling the precise
> driver I have to download, please?
> Is it sufficient I install the new driver or do I have to make some
> other process too?
> Thanks again
>

>> There are problems with the Intel RST driver.
>>
>> Either you want to use the Intel RAID driver that comes with
>> Windows 7. Or, look for a much more recent driver.
>>
>> There is also at least one registry hack you can try.
>>
>> The site to get the answers on, is here. Take your time
>> and do a site specific search for more information. This
>> issue, of RST dropping drives, having degraded arrays,
>> has been known for a while, so there are many many posts
>> here on the subject.
>>
>> http://communities.intel.com/message/102024?tstart=0
>>
>> I also notice, when reading some of the threads on that
>> forum, that little is known about how RST works. And the
>> little things are discovered by the users, rather than
>> by reading the manual. For example, the Intel software
>> delivers a warning, when no warning is needed. It also
>> apparently will not correct errors when they happen, but
>> actual drive errors are resolved by doing some kind of
>> Drive Verify in the management console for the array.
>>
>> Since you're using RAID 0, there is no redundancy, so
>> doing Drive Verify would be pointless. There is no
>> rebuild to do either. You are doing the correct procedure,
>> which is to turn off the computer, as recovery of the RAID 0
>> will work, as soon as both drives are detected. So the
>> procedure you're currently doing, is the best you can do.
>>
>> But to fix the issue long term, you can try changing driver
>> versions, using the LPMSTATE registry hack, and also
>> check to see if you have any other RAID controllers
>> present in the system. At least one user, noted his X58
>> motherboard, only has RAID problems on the Intel ports,
>> when an LSI Logic RAID controller is added to the
>> system.
>>
>> So it's a complicated issue, in terms of what triggers it,
>> and what may fix it. And communities.intel.com is where
>> all the affected users meet, to discuss it.
>>
>> Paul

You look on the Intel site.

"Intel Rapid Storage Technology 12/15/2010 10.1.0.1008 Latest Drivers"

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...st%22&lang=eng

The eventual "download" button, is on the far right of the web page.

Scroll over to the right, so you can see the button to click.

I think you should download "iata_cd.exe", as the description
says it is "multi language" Perhaps you will get Italian
labels on the interface that way ?

HTH,
Paul

ulixi@emmail.it

Thanks a lot, it seems to work fine.

>You look on the Intel site.
>
>"Intel Rapid Storage Technology 12/15/2010 10.1.0.1008 Latest Drivers"
>
>http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...st%22&lang=eng
>
>The eventual "download" button, is on the far right of the web page.
>
>Scroll over to the right, so you can see the button to click.
>
>I think you should download "iata_cd.exe", as the description
>says it is "multi language" Perhaps you will get Italian
>labels on the interface that way ?
>
>HTH,
> Paul

ulixi@emmail.it

Paul, that files works very fine! THANKSSS!

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Paul, that files works very fine! THANKSSS!

You're welcome :-)

I guess Intel fixed it.

Paul