Safari in Snow Leopard not saving web pages as PDF

2cents

In Tiger using Safari, I could drag an alias to the System/Library/PDF
Services folder from any user-created folder in Documents and when I
wanted to save a webpage as a PDF, I'd click on the Print icon or select
Print from the menu and click on the PDF drop down button on the left.
The name of that folder would be in the list and I just selected it and
the entire webpage would be saved as a PDF. In Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and
Safari 4.0.4, only the last page is saved as a PDF doing the same thing.
If I copy and paste the webpage into a text edit window, I can save it
as a PDF okay. Any answers to why Safari is not cooperating anymore?

2cents

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <4d56de4c$0$23754$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> 2cents <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In Tiger using Safari, I could drag an alias to the System/Library/PDF
> > Services folder from any user-created folder in Documents and when I
> > wanted to save a webpage as a PDF, I'd click on the Print icon or select
> > Print from the menu and click on the PDF drop down button on the left.
> > The name of that folder would be in the list and I just selected it and
> > the entire webpage would be saved as a PDF. In Snow Leopard 10.6.3 and
> > Safari 4.0.4, only the last page is saved as a PDF doing the same thing.
> > If I copy and paste the webpage into a text edit window, I can save it
> > as a PDF okay. Any answers to why Safari is not cooperating anymore?

> In both Tiger and SL you can save webpages by Command Save and
> choose webarchive.

That's not an answer. I know that I can save as web archive. I don't
want to do that. I've been saving web pages as PDF files because they
are the smallest file size - check out the difference in size between a
PDF and a web archive of the same page. The problem is that suddenly,
my Save as PDF command from the Print dialog started clipping off the
first page of everything, not just in Safari but even from other
programs. Any solutions to that?

2cents

In article <ijecrc$ckp$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tempuser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The latest release of Snow Leopard is 10.6.6. Try updating your version
> (10.6.3) and see what happens. Additionally, the latest version of
> Safari is 5.0.3.

I'm aware of that too. And I'm not a slave to updating immediately to
every new release, although I've done so in this case and it didn't fix
the problem. AAMOF, the problem began with an update to Snow Leopard.
As I said, I don't have the problem when I boot into my Tiger drive.
Time to report the problem to Apple. Doesn't just happen with Safari
bit with all attempt to save as PDF from the print dialog.

AES

Different web sites seem to deliver PDF files in different fashions, and
how they're delivered can also depend in a confusing fashion on whether
you click or Option-click on the link on a web page.

For me, using a nominally vanilla Safari and Snow Leopard configuration,
PDF files are often delivered in a PDF-looking format in a PDF-looking
window --- but the contents of that window can't be Saved as a PDF using
any Safari menu commands.

If you mouse around need the bottom of the window, however, you'll find
that 4 buttons pop up. One of them Saves the contents of the window as
a proper PDF file in my Downloads folder (that is, in a Download folder
I've created on my desktop, and use as the default target for all Save
and similar commands). Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the
possibility to choose the name for the saved PDF file. It only saves
under the name assigned by the sending site, so I have to go to the
Download folder and rename it the way I want it.

A second button opens the contents of the window in Preview --
presumably as a PDF file in Preview, which could then be Saved wherever
you like. I just haven't gotten around to trying that.

Lewis

In message <4d5ae417$0$23756$(E-Mail Removed)>
2cents <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <ijecrc$ckp$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tempuser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The latest release of Snow Leopard is 10.6.6. Try updating your version
>> (10.6.3) and see what happens. Additionally, the latest version of
>> Safari is 5.0.3.

> I'm aware of that too. And I'm not a slave to updating immediately to
> every new release, although I've done so in this case and it didn't fix
> the problem. AAMOF, the problem began with an update to Snow Leopard.
> As I said, I don't have the problem when I boot into my Tiger drive.
> Time to report the problem to Apple. Doesn't just happen with Safari
> bit with all attempt to save as PDF from the print dialog.

I print to pdf all the time (many times a day) and have never seen this
behavior.

--
I WILL NOT ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO FLY Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F03

JF Mezei

Note: PDF documents were designed to be downloadable as partial
downloads. This allowed for instance the first page to be displayed
before the rest was downloaded.

This used the byterange download features of most web servers (and
browsers).

So, if you only have a partial download of a PDF document, I guess it
would not allow you to save it yet. If you scroll to the last page of
the document, it would probably force all pages to be downloaded and
perhaps then, it would allow you to save it. (just a theory , but based
on the fact that onoy portions of PDFs can be downloaded at a time, it
could explain it)