Safe Mobo and Hd Temps, Relying on Heatsink Alone?

Veli-Pekka Tštilš

Hi,
Hardware newbie Qs on component temperatures.

Specs:

I'm running a very quiet audio PC with an AMD 64 5200+ (cool and quiet
and speed fan) on an Asus M2V Mobo, a passive Ati X300 video card, 4 GB
800 MHz RAM (3.5 GB visible after MIO), a SATA2 HD (acoustical
management) and USB-audio and MIDI hardware. The case is by Antec. The
machine runs very quietly having had the boxed stock cooler changed to a
Scythe Ninja Mini.

Questions:

The heatsink appears to be wonderfully good in that even if I set the
CPU fan to 0 percent the temps are about 40 +/-2 for the CPU, HD and
Mobo in normal operation after hours of use. Is this too good to be
true, i.e. does it make sense to keep the NInja Mini completely disabled
relying on the heatsink alone? As a bit of a hack, I've got the speed
fan CPU cooler limits at 0 % to 0 % and the maximum temp at 45 so the
CPU fan only kicks in, should the machine start heating seriously. I
suppose this kind of operation would be supported in the BIOS, too, but
have yet to look.

I'm not worried about the CPU since my old athlon would happily run at
60 C and besides most of my usage is light: inet stuff, programming,
MIDI sequencing with external hardware and the occasional soft synth or
emulated DOS game. Howabout the HD and Mobo temps, though, what is
normal for them? I have Googled plenty but haven't found any very good
sources so far. I recall HDD health nagging on my previous machine when
the HD temp was over 50, but it isnt on this machine, even in extensive
disk searching. HOwabout mother boards, one would think that 40 C isn't
bad at all but thought I'd ask just to be on the safe side.

Feel free to point me to a suitable FAQ if there's one, too. I'm sure
questions like these get asked quite often, actually. Googling brought
up several forum posts on the subject but there were none that could
give definitive ansers to HD and Mobo temps.

Any help appreciated.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tštilš ((E-Mail Removed))
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila