SAS cables???

My new T7500 has an integrated SAS controller.

So I bought a SAS HD to put in it.

But the power and data inputs on the drive seem to
want one cable, not two. The pins seem identical to
a SATA drive, but there is solid plastic between the
power and data side.

The new machine just has the regular SATA power connections,
and the SAS ports on the mother board look just like the
data ports for SATA.

Is there a converter cable that I can put my SATA data and
power cables into with a SAS output connector? I tried Google,
and newegg, but I am not sure if any of the items would
work.

Or should I return the drive and get a SATA one?

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My new T7500 has an integrated SAS controller.
>
> So I bought a SAS HD to put in it.
>
> But the power and data inputs on the drive seem to
> want one cable, not two. The pins seem identical to
> a SATA drive, but there is solid plastic between the
> power and data side.
>
> The new machine just has the regular SATA power connections,
> and the SAS ports on the mother board look just like the
> data ports for SATA.
>
> Is there a converter cable that I can put my SATA data and
> power cables into with a SAS output connector? I tried Google,
> and newegg, but I am not sure if any of the items would
> work.
>
> Or should I return the drive and get a SATA one?

Would this work? Fuzzy picture, but it looks right.

http://www.xpcgear.com/sas-sff-8482-...converter.html

I have one of the four pin power cables.

--

<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My new T7500 has an integrated SAS controller.
>
> So I bought a SAS HD to put in it.
>
> But the power and data inputs on the drive seem to
> want one cable, not two. The pins seem identical to
> a SATA drive, but there is solid plastic between the
> power and data side.
>
> The new machine just has the regular SATA power connections,
> and the SAS ports on the mother board look just like the
> data ports for SATA.
>
> Is there a converter cable that I can put my SATA data and
> power cables into with a SAS output connector? I tried Google,
> and newegg, but I am not sure if any of the items would
> work.
>
> Or should I return the drive and get a SATA one?

This photo is better, and it looks as if it should work:

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/pr...ter-Cable.html

But I only counted 22 pins in the SAS drive, 15 on the power side, 7 on
the data side. Where am I missing the 7 pins?

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

me

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> My new T7500 has an integrated SAS controller.
>>
>> So I bought a SAS HD to put in it.
>>
>> But the power and data inputs on the drive seem to
>> want one cable, not two. The pins seem identical to
>> a SATA drive, but there is solid plastic between the
>> power and data side.
>>
>> The new machine just has the regular SATA power connections,
>> and the SAS ports on the mother board look just like the
>> data ports for SATA.
>>
>> Is there a converter cable that I can put my SATA data and
>> power cables into with a SAS output connector? I tried Google,
>> and newegg, but I am not sure if any of the items would
>> work.
>>
>> Or should I return the drive and get a SATA one?

> Would this work? Fuzzy picture, but it looks right.
>
> http://www.xpcgear.com/sas-sff-8482-...converter.html
>
> I have one of the four pin power cables.
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Andrew,

I have installed sata drives in my T7500, since the MB connectors are
standard sata ones as far as I can tell, plus the drive I bought with it was
also a sata one.

For information, I also have a PE840 bought a few years ago, with a separate
PCIe SAS 5i controller and it has a set of "combined power and sata"
connectors on it that fit sata drives without problem. I vaguely recall
that there were several "backplane" options when I bought that one and,
because it confused me a little, I spoke directly to Dell to choose the type
I wanted (which was sata not SAS). So I don't know for sure, but I'm
guessing that maybe you need to specify "SAS" when you purchase, so that the
correct cable looms are provided.

Perhaps one of the knowledgeable chaps on this news group can explain the
interface difference between sata and SAS drives?

Oh my, it's almost 03:30 here again, so I'd best be off to bed again!

Cheers,

JR.

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> My new T7500 has an integrated SAS controller.
>>>
>>> So I bought a SAS HD to put in it.
>>>
>>> But the power and data inputs on the drive seem to
>>> want one cable, not two. The pins seem identical to
>>> a SATA drive, but there is solid plastic between the
>>> power and data side.
>>>
>>> The new machine just has the regular SATA power connections,
>>> and the SAS ports on the mother board look just like the
>>> data ports for SATA.
>>>
>>> Is there a converter cable that I can put my SATA data and
>>> power cables into with a SAS output connector? I tried Google,
>>> and newegg, but I am not sure if any of the items would
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Or should I return the drive and get a SATA one?

>> Would this work? Fuzzy picture, but it looks right.
>>
>> http://www.xpcgear.com/sas-sff-8482-...converter.html
>>
>> I have one of the four pin power cables.
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

> Andrew,
>

> I have installed sata drives in my T7500, since the MB connectors are
> standard sata ones as far as I can tell, plus the drive I bought with it was
> also a sata one.

I am pretty sure it supports them, it has a "Dell SAS 6/iR Integrated
Workstation Controller". The documentation for that device indicates
it does support SAS drives. I am pretty sure I just need a converter
to get the power and data connections to the drive.

I will check with Tech Support.

> For information, I also have a PE840 bought a few years ago, with a separate
> PCIe SAS 5i controller and it has a set of "combined power and sata"
> connectors on it that fit sata drives without problem. I vaguely recall
> that there were several "backplane" options when I bought that one and,
> because it confused me a little, I spoke directly to Dell to choose the type
> I wanted (which was sata not SAS). So I don't know for sure, but I'm
> guessing that maybe you need to specify "SAS" when you purchase, so that the
> correct cable looms are provided.
>

> Perhaps one of the knowledgeable chaps on this news group can explain the
> interface difference between sata and SAS drives?
>

> Oh my, it's almost 03:30 here again, so I'd best be off to bed again!

BTW, the machine has two 6 pin and one 8 pin PCIe power cables. They
were rolled up and tucked deep in an empty optical drive bay. So no
power converters needed.

Thanks as always,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

me

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Would this work? Fuzzy picture, but it looks right.
>>>
>>> http://www.xpcgear.com/sas-sff-8482-...converter.html
>>>
>>> I have one of the four pin power cables.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Andrew Hall
>>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

>> Andrew,
>>

>> I have installed sata drives in my T7500, since the MB connectors are
>> standard sata ones as far as I can tell, plus the drive I bought with it
>> was
>> also a sata one.
>>

> I am pretty sure it supports them, it has a "Dell SAS 6/iR Integrated
> Workstation Controller". The documentation for that device indicates
> it does support SAS drives. I am pretty sure I just need a converter
> to get the power and data connections to the drive.
>
> I will check with Tech Support.

Andrew, I'd be interested to hear what Dell say about using SAS drives in
the T7500. I have a copy of the SAS 6i/R User Guide too, but it has a
singular lack of information about connecting any type of drive, though it
does suggest it supports SAS. I have even installed the Dell SAS RAID
storage manager software, and that allows you to configure RAID via a
Windows GUI, but it still doesn't say anything about using SAS drives.

>> For information, I also have a PE840 bought a few years ago, with a
>> separate
>> PCIe SAS 5i controller and it has a set of "combined power and sata"
>> connectors on it that fit sata drives without problem. I vaguely recall
>> that there were several "backplane" options when I bought that one and,
>> because it confused me a little, I spoke directly to Dell to choose the
>> type
>> I wanted (which was sata not SAS). So I don't know for sure, but I'm
>> guessing that maybe you need to specify "SAS" when you purchase, so that
>> the
>> correct cable looms are provided.
>>

>> Perhaps one of the knowledgeable chaps on this news group can explain the
>> interface difference between sata and SAS drives?
>>

>> Oh my, it's almost 03:30 here again, so I'd best be off to bed again!

> BTW, the machine has two 6 pin and one 8 pin PCIe power cables. They
> were rolled up and tucked deep in an empty optical drive bay. So no
> power converters needed.

Ah, that's good to know. I'd seen the cables there and just assumed they
were for the spare front bays, but no doubt they can be used to power cards
too.

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> I have installed sata drives in my T7500, since the MB connectors are
>>> standard sata ones as far as I can tell, plus the drive I bought with it
>>> was
>>> also a sata one.
>>>

>> I am pretty sure it supports them, it has a "Dell SAS 6/iR Integrated
>> Workstation Controller". The documentation for that device indicates
>> it does support SAS drives. I am pretty sure I just need a converter
>> to get the power and data connections to the drive.
>>
>> I will check with Tech Support.

> Andrew, I'd be interested to hear what Dell say about using SAS drives in
> the T7500. I have a copy of the SAS 6i/R User Guide too, but it has a
> singular lack of information about connecting any type of drive, though it
> does suggest it supports SAS. I have even installed the Dell SAS RAID
> storage manager software, and that allows you to configure RAID via a
> Windows GUI, but it still doesn't say anything about using SAS drives.

I just ordered a converter that seems to allow using the standard SATA
power and data cables. If that works I am done, if not I will deal with
Dell.

>>> For information, I also have a PE840 bought a few years ago, with a
>>> separate
>>> PCIe SAS 5i controller and it has a set of "combined power and sata"
>>> connectors on it that fit sata drives without problem. I vaguely recall
>>> that there were several "backplane" options when I bought that one and,
>>> because it confused me a little, I spoke directly to Dell to choose the
>>> type
>>> I wanted (which was sata not SAS). So I don't know for sure, but I'm
>>> guessing that maybe you need to specify "SAS" when you purchase, so that
>>> the
>>> correct cable looms are provided.
>>>

>>> Perhaps one of the knowledgeable chaps on this news group can explain the
>>> interface difference between sata and SAS drives?
>>>

>>> Oh my, it's almost 03:30 here again, so I'd best be off to bed again!

>> BTW, the machine has two 6 pin and one 8 pin PCIe power cables. They
>> were rolled up and tucked deep in an empty optical drive bay. So no
>> power converters needed.
>>

> Ah, that's good to know. I'd seen the cables there and just assumed they
> were for the spare front bays, but no doubt they can be used to power cards
> too.

Those bays take the regular SATA power cables, of which there are loads
of spares. I think they get tucked in there to help with air flow. It
is a really well build machine, there are extra cable guides in several
places.

I still have a lot to do before this is all set up. I just put CS4
Production Premium on it, but I am not finished with all the updates
yet. Next up will be the photo printer and scanner, then the old video
cards (I may decide to upgrade one of them later). I still have to
test the dimm sockets by booting with four dimms on the MB and no
riser in it.

Thanks again,

--

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have installed sata drives in my T7500, since the MB connectors are
> standard sata ones as far as I can tell, plus the drive I bought with it was
> also a sata one.
>
> For information, I also have a PE840 bought a few years ago, with a separate
> PCIe SAS 5i controller and it has a set of "combined power and sata"
> connectors on it that fit sata drives without problem. I vaguely recall
> that there were several "backplane" options when I bought that one and,
> because it confused me a little, I spoke directly to Dell to choose the type
> I wanted (which was sata not SAS). So I don't know for sure, but I'm
> guessing that maybe you need to specify "SAS" when you purchase, so that the
> correct cable looms are provided.
>

> Perhaps one of the knowledgeable chaps on this news group can explain the
> interface difference between sata and SAS drives?

I just installed the disk with the adaptor I bought. The SAS bios sees
it, as does the Windows Disk Management. It is not initialized, and
I have to figure out the difference between MBR and GPT. Windows said
it recommended GPT for drives larger than 2TB. This drive is exactly
2TB. It said other versions of windows probably could not read the
disk, but presumably if I share the disk with XP machines the local
Win 7 would take care of the reading...

Off to google...

"RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>I just installed the disk with the adaptor I bought. The SAS bios sees
>>it, as does the Windows Disk Management. It is not initialized, and
>>I have to figure out the difference between MBR and GPT. Windows said
>>it recommended GPT for drives larger than 2TB. This drive is exactly
>>2TB. It said other versions of windows probably could not read the
>>disk, but presumably if I share the disk with XP machines the local
>>Win 7 would take care of the reading...

>>Off to google...

> Nothing wrong using Google but I think I read something about GPT and
> MBR on Acronis web site or user guide for Disk Director 11. I was
> researching the 4K Sectors last nite that the new drives will have
> starting Jan. 2011 and what software will align their partitions.
> Apparently Acronis DD 11 does (not sure about 10... some say yes some
> say no) and Paragon (vers ??) does. Perhaps others do too but since
> I've got DD11 now, I wanted to know about this. To me and some
> others, they don't make it too clear without digging.

> To be honest, I still don't understand this 4k sector stuff yet but
> for the moment I just want to know I've got software to handle it for
> next year. If I'm not mistaken, some drives have it now.... perhaps
> the SSD's tho I'm not sure so I could be wrong on that. I did read
> that Windows 7 handles it so I wonder if you partition in windows 7,
> if that is a non-issue, dunno ??? Like I said, I'm still learning.

I decided to go with MBR for the new drive. I am not planning to
partition it. I went with 16k allocation units. It is mostly for
video, but I will also use it for temp files and some backups of other
machines so I decided not to go all the way to 64k.

ah

HD Upgrade: U320 SCSI or SAS? Abit 1 04-03-2007 05:10 PM
SAS/SFF hard disks and ULTRIUM tape rosgiof@hotmail.it HP 0 02-21-2007 12:11 PM
Sun T1000/T2000 + ZFS + SAS performance jwa Sun Hardware 40 09-25-2006 04:57 AM
300GB SAS Drive in X4200? Ken Mandelberg Sun Hardware 4 08-10-2006 07:19 PM
Re: sas performance on different Unix servers RolandRB Sun Hardware 1 11-10-2004 09:38 AM