SATA adapter in NW8000?

Bill Martin

Hi,

Anyone know if any of the pata/sata adapters on ebay work in the old
nw8000? I don't need screaming performance, just has to work with XP
& HP bios on this machine.

Thanks,
Bill

"Bill Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jr5gmm$e2j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know if any of the pata/sata adapters on ebay work in the old
> nw8000? I don't need screaming performance, just has to work with XP
> & HP bios on this machine.

Finding a reliable stand-alone SATA controller that is a reliable boot
adapter has been a problem for me too. I find with multiport units that I
can stick a boot device in port 0, and as soon as I put a device on an
additional port 1 to 3, the port 0 device stops beeing seen during the BIOS
bootup process.

I have not found a SATA host adapter that has a standalone BIOS application
with configuration options that can be invoked during the boot process,
before Windows starts to load.

Bill Martin

On 06/17/2012 11:14 PM, W wrote:
> "Bill Martin"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jr5gmm$e2j$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone know if any of the pata/sata adapters on ebay work in the old
>> nw8000? I don't need screaming performance, just has to work with XP
>> & HP bios on this machine.

> Finding a reliable stand-alone SATA controller that is a reliable boot
> adapter has been a problem for me too. I find with multiport units that I
> can stick a boot device in port 0, and as soon as I put a device on an
> additional port 1 to 3, the port 0 device stops beeing seen during the BIOS
> bootup process.
>
> I have not found a SATA host adapter that has a standalone BIOS application
> with configuration options that can be invoked during the boot process,
> before Windows starts to load.

Thanks for your reply. I decided to stay on the "safe" side, and ordered
a 120GB PATA drive. Think that is as big as I can go for this era of
machine...anyway, I will know in a couple of weeks how it works out.