SATA Drive in a G6 400 Gateway PC

KEN

Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It has
Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned onto the
SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

KEN

I guess that's IDE drive not EIDE. Sorry.

"KEN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AyKJk.1255$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It
> has Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned
> onto the SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

Ben Myers

KEN wrote:
> Is there any way I can use an 80GB SATA drive in my old Gateway PC? It has
> Win XP installed on a 40GB EIDE drive which would have to be cloned onto the
> SATA drive, of course. Thanks in advance.

Ken,

It is definitely not recommended. But if you really want to, the best
way is to get a separate SATA adapter. With a system as old as a
G6-400, I have serious doubts that a SATA drive can be made bootable.
Doing so was messy enough with newer systems until Microsoft
slipstreamed SATA support into XP Service Pack 2... Ben Myers

KEN

Thanks Ben

news:gd8d4f$hc6$(E-Mail Removed)...