SATA on IS7-V2

Howard Nelson

Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100 IDE
HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a 250gb
SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just bought
a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and have
updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both IDE
controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.

According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2 IDE
drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
channels.

The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on boot
but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just the
400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj. Rather
than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized as a
SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.

I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Howard

Andy

Have you tried forcing the WD to run at 150MB/s?
<http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341&p_si d=Gk7tikJi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_ sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3J vd19jbnQ9NDUsNDUmcF9wcm9kcz0yMDMmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wd j0xLjIwMyZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2V hcmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWp1bXBlc iBzZXR0aW5ncw**&p_li=&p_topview=1>

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:06:01 -0700, "Howard Nelson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100 IDE
>HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a 250gb
>SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just bought
>a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
>won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and have
>updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both IDE
>controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.
>
>According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2 IDE
>drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
>channels.
>
>The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on boot
>but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
>configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just the
>400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj. Rather
>than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized as a
>SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.
>
>I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Howard

Howard Nelson

How do I do that. It came as a "bare" drive from Newegg. Was advertised as a
150MB/sec drive. I imagine that is why it was heavily discounted. Both SATA
drives on my system are speced at 150MB/sec. Is there something in the Bios
I can set to force this?

Howard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....hp?p_faqid=133
7&p_created=1112379341&p_sid=Gk7tikJi&p_accessibil ity=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p
_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3 Jvd19jbnQ9NDUsNDUmcF9wcm9k
cz0yMDMmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0xLjIwMyZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYX JjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2Vh
cmNoX2ZubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWp1bXBlci BzZXR0aW5ncw**&p_li=&p_top
view=1>

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:06:01 -0700, "Howard Nelson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100

IDE
> >HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a

250gb
> >SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just

bought
> >a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
> >won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and

have
> >updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both

IDE
> >controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.
> >
> >According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2

IDE
> >drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
> >channels.
> >
> >The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on

boot
> >but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
> >configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just

the
> >400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj.

Rather
> >than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized

as a
> >SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.
> >
> >I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Howard

Howard Nelson

"Howard Nelson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aKZwi.3155$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Abit IS7-V2. 2gb ram 2.4gP4, Win 2K SP4 with all updates. Have 2 ATA100

IDE
> HD on IDE 1 controller and 1 CDRW and 1 DVD on IDE 2 controller. Had a

250gb
> SATA 150 drive on SATA 1 controller and everything worked fine. Just

bought
> a 400gb SATA 150 drive and installed it on the SATA 2 controller but bios
> won't recognize it. Bios is latest listed on ABIT site (V12 2004) and have
> updated Intel drivers from intel site (6/2007). Have set BIOS with both

IDE
> controllers set for auto and SATA controller set for enhanced.
>
> According to the manual with these settings I should be able to handle 2

IDE
> drives on each IDE controller and 2 SATA drives one each on the 2 SATA
> channels.
>
> The BIOS recognizes all 4 IDE devices and the one of the SATA drives on

boot
> but will not recognize the second SATA drive. I have tried all
> configurations of the ON BOARD IDE device settings. When I hook up just

the
> 400gb SATA drive it is recognized but as jjjjjggggjjjjggggjjjjgggjj.

Rather
> than WD 400gb hard drive which it is. The Seagate SATA HD is recognized as

> SEAGATE 250gb SATA drive.
>
> I am at my wits end. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Howard

Additional info

This is a SATA 150 drive WD4000KD but when I jump the "force 150" jumper it
makes no difference. Controller handles other Seagate 250 gb SATA drive OK.
On board controller just won't identify this drive even if the Seagate drive
is removed from system.
On post the BIOS recognizes a 500gb SATA drive as BzBzBzBzBz..........Bz
etc. All other drives recognized for what they are. Any ideas out there? Bad
drive?

Howard