SATA ports on the ASUS M4N78 PRO motherboard?

Daniel Prince

I am thinking of buying an ASUS M4N78 PRO motherboard. It has six
SATA ports. The manual says that ports five and six must be used in
RAID or AHCI mode. What types of drives can be used in AHCI mode?
What types of drives can NOT be used in AHCI mode?

The manual also says, "Due to chipset limitations, when you set any
of the SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode
simultaneously."

Does this mean that if you have two drives in a mirrored RAID, you
cannot use any optical drive or any single hard drives? Thank you
in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,

andy

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 00:20:44 -0700, Daniel Prince
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am thinking of buying an ASUS M4N78 PRO motherboard. It has six
>SATA ports. The manual says that ports five and six must be used in
>RAID or AHCI mode. What types of drives can be used in AHCI mode?

Hard.
>What types of drives can NOT be used in AHCI mode?

Optical.

>The manual also says, "Due to chipset limitations, when you set any
>of the SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode
>simultaneously."
>
>Does this mean that if you have two drives in a mirrored RAID, you
>cannot use any optical drive or any single hard drives?

No.