SATA won't boot in current computer.

Terry

Here is an update to a problem I was having in the past.

I had a working computer with 3 IDE drives installed on a KT7A RAID
mobo. I was not using the IDE RAID ports for any of the drives.

I bought a new 500G SATA drive. I installed an old SATA RAID card to
give me a port for the new drive. Plugging in the drive would cause
the system to hang. The boot would report the card and the drive, but
would hang after reporting it. I could unplug the drive and the
computer would boot normally with the card installed.

I formatted the 500G drive in another machine as the boot drive and
dumped some files onto it. When I put it back in the current machine,
the boot would hang. I could boot the computer and then plug in the
drive and could read it. I tried to read some of the files and they
showed up corrupted. I tried booting again and this time the computer
would boot, but when into chkdisk and reported many corrupted files on
the drive.

I tried formatting the drive. It would format all the way to 99% and
then I would get an error that the format could not finish. I tried
this twice.

I took the drive out and put it back in my other machine. It
formatted (no system) fine in the other machine. I now have it back
in the current computer and it booted, but I am afraid I can't trust
the setup. I am copping several test files to the new drive to see if
they get corrupted again.

Does anyone have an explanation of what could have been happening with
my current setup? I will try formatting it again in the new machine.
Could the KT7A have some drive size limitation that my other machine
doesn't have? Both machines have XP. The other mobo is a P4SCT.

The bottom line is, the drive is now working, but I don't trust it.

Thank you for your time

Paul

Terry wrote:
> Here is an update to a problem I was having in the past.
>
> I had a working computer with 3 IDE drives installed on a KT7A RAID
> mobo. I was not using the IDE RAID ports for any of the drives.
>
> I bought a new 500G SATA drive. I installed an old SATA RAID card to
> give me a port for the new drive. Plugging in the drive would cause
> the system to hang. The boot would report the card and the drive, but
> would hang after reporting it. I could unplug the drive and the
> computer would boot normally with the card installed.
>
> I formatted the 500G drive in another machine as the boot drive and
> dumped some files onto it. When I put it back in the current machine,
> the boot would hang. I could boot the computer and then plug in the
> drive and could read it. I tried to read some of the files and they
> showed up corrupted. I tried booting again and this time the computer
> would boot, but when into chkdisk and reported many corrupted files on
> the drive.
>
> I tried formatting the drive. It would format all the way to 99% and
> then I would get an error that the format could not finish. I tried
> this twice.
>
> I took the drive out and put it back in my other machine. It
> formatted (no system) fine in the other machine. I now have it back
> in the current computer and it booted, but I am afraid I can't trust
> the setup. I am copping several test files to the new drive to see if
> they get corrupted again.
>
> Does anyone have an explanation of what could have been happening with
> my current setup? I will try formatting it again in the new machine.
> Could the KT7A have some drive size limitation that my other machine
> doesn't have? Both machines have XP. The other mobo is a P4SCT.
>
> The bottom line is, the drive is now working, but I don't trust it.
>
> Thank you for your time

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04..._via_chipsets/
http://groups.google.ca/groups/search?q=686b+corruption

The symptoms might not be an exact match, but maybe you can do a bit of
research into the background of this.

The hang at boot could be due to another reason.

Paul

Terry

On Sep 3, 9:35 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> > Here is an update to a problem I was having in the past.

> > I had a working computer with 3 IDE drives installed on a KT7A RAID
> > mobo. I was not using the IDE RAID ports for any of the drives.

> > I bought a new 500G SATA drive. I installed an old SATA RAID card to
> > give me a port for the new drive. Plugging in the drive would cause
> > the system to hang. The boot would report the card and the drive, but
> > would hang after reporting it. I could unplug the drive and the
> > computer would boot normally with the card installed.

> > I formatted the 500G drive in another machine as the boot drive and
> > dumped some files onto it. When I put it back in the current machine,
> > the boot would hang. I could boot the computer and then plug in the
> > drive and could read it. I tried to read some of the files and they
> > showed up corrupted. I tried booting again and this time the computer
> > would boot, but when into chkdisk and reported many corrupted files on
> > the drive.

> > I tried formatting the drive. It would format all the way to 99% and
> > then I would get an error that the format could not finish. I tried
> > this twice.

> > I took the drive out and put it back in my other machine. It
> > formatted (no system) fine in the other machine. I now have it back
> > in the current computer and it booted, but I am afraid I can't trust
> > the setup. I am copping several test files to the new drive to see if
> > they get corrupted again.

> > Does anyone have an explanation of what could have been happening with
> > my current setup? I will try formatting it again in the new machine.
> > Could the KT7A have some drive size limitation that my other machine
> > doesn't have? Both machines have XP. The other mobo is a P4SCT.

> > The bottom line is, the drive is now working, but I don't trust it.

> > Thank you for your time

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/04...86b+corruption
>
> The symptoms might not be an exact match, but maybe you can do a bit of
> research into the background of this.
>
> The hang at boot could be due to another reason.

I think I am just going to have to buy another controller card. If it
turns out to be a mobo problem, there is not much I will be able to do
about it.

Thanks