SB Audigy LS crashes XP

sweepster@peoplepc.com

My Audigy LS model #SB0310 sound card crashes XP HE when a sound is
played. Doesn't matter if it's Win Media Player, a midi player or
Windows playing a sound. Using driver 5.12.1.512. Anyone know what's
the problem? Thx.

Robert B Dubrey IV

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My Audigy LS model #SB0310 sound card crashes XP HE when a sound is
> played. Doesn't matter if it's Win Media Player, a midi player or
> Windows playing a sound. Using driver 5.12.1.512. Anyone know what's
> the problem? Thx.

Off hand sounds like a bad driver or a bad sound card. Does it blue
screen on you? What do yo mean by crash?

Rob

shegeek72

Robert B Dubrey IV wrote:

> Off hand sounds like a bad driver or a bad sound card. Does it blue
> screen on you? What do yo mean by crash?

Screen goes black, then computer restarts (like hitting reset). I
looked for a newer driver, but couldn't find one. Tried installing an
older driver, but driver setup said it "couldn't find" the sound card.

Robert B Dubrey IV

shegeek72 wrote:
> Robert B Dubrey IV wrote:
>
>> Off hand sounds like a bad driver or a bad sound card. Does it blue
>> screen on you? What do yo mean by crash?

> Screen goes black, then computer restarts (like hitting reset). I
> looked for a newer driver, but couldn't find one. Tried installing an
> older driver, but driver setup said it "couldn't find" the sound card.

Sounds like a piece of hardware failing for sure there. More than
likely the sound card. Hopefully it isn't integrated so you can replace it.

Rob

shegeek72

Robert B Dubrey IV wrote:

> Sounds like a piece of hardware failing for sure there. More than
> likely the sound card. Hopefully it isn't integrated so you can replace it.

I uninstalled the driver, rebooted then reinstalled it and, so far,
things are working ok.

paulmd@efn.org

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My Audigy LS model #SB0310 sound card crashes XP HE when a sound is
> played. Doesn't matter if it's Win Media Player, a midi player or
> Windows playing a sound. Using driver 5.12.1.512. Anyone know what's
> the problem? Thx.

While the other posters are most likely correct, that the card or
driver is bad, I came across a bios update for a particular Dell
machine that fixes an Audigy sound card crash.

What are the make and model of your machine?

Folk

On 8 Jan 2007 18:07:43 -0800, "shegeek72" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Robert B Dubrey IV wrote:
>
>> Off hand sounds like a bad driver or a bad sound card. Does it blue
>> screen on you? What do yo mean by crash?

>Screen goes black, then computer restarts (like hitting reset). I
>looked for a newer driver, but couldn't find one. Tried installing an
>older driver, but driver setup said it "couldn't find" the sound card.

Sound like you may have it sorted, but if you want to prevent your
computer from automatically rebooting when an error occurs (which
allows you to actually *see* what caused the error) then do this:

1. Right-click on My Computer and select 'Properties'.
2. Click on the 'Advanced' tab.
3. In the 'Startup and Recovery' section, click on 'Settings'.
4. Under the 'System Failure' section, uncheck
'Automatically Restart'.