SB Installation

V.Gridley

I have just upgraded from Win98 to Win2000, and have experienced some
instability in Outlook Express with sudden shut-downs. I suspect
Soundblaster is the culprit and wonder if there is an IRQ conflict
somewhere.

I see in Device Manager that SB Live has been allocated IRQ9 which it shares
with 5 other devices. I notice that IRQ5 is vacant, which is the previous
allocation under Win98.

I have tried to reinstall the hardware to force it to use IRQ5, but it
still remains on 9. There appears to be no way of changing this manually .

Am I doing the right thing? Or should I leave it on 9?

Any help would be welcome.

V.Gridley

Lenny

What makes you think your soundcard has anything to do with Outlook Express?
I just don't see the connection there.

Anyway, PCI interrupt sharing is something quite normal and common. PCI
devices are designed to handle sharing, and it's not really anything to
worry about.

Brian Gregory [UK]

"V.Gridley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brnkap$lhv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I see in Device Manager that SB Live has been allocated IRQ9 which it

shares
> with 5 other devices. I notice that IRQ5 is vacant, which is the

previous
> allocation under Win98.

IRQ sharing shouldn't matter at all with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Indeed they often seem to try and pile everything on to the same IRQs.

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).
(E-Mail Removed)

Lenny

> IRQ sharing shouldn't matter at all with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
>
> Indeed they often seem to try and pile everything on to the same IRQs.

Win2k and XP use a hardware abstraction layer, a part of the operating
system, that maps one "virtual" IRQ to a device that the driver use when it
speaks to the HAL, and then the HAL might well use a totally different
actual IRQ when it in turn accesses the hardware. So going by the
information given in the device manager isn't always going to be totally
accurate...

V.Gridley

Thanks for that comment.
I was clutching at straws. I have heard that sound cards can frequently
cause problems, so was trying to eliminate any possibility from that
source.
I have upgraded the driver from the Creative web site, but my computer has
just re-booted again whilst typing out this reply. I am still trying to
determine the cause of the problem.

V.Gridley

"Lenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eEODb.38721$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > IRQ sharing shouldn't matter at all with Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
> >
> > Indeed they often seem to try and pile everything on to the same IRQs.

> Win2k and XP use a hardware abstraction layer, a part of the operating
> system, that maps one "virtual" IRQ to a device that the driver use when

it
> speaks to the HAL, and then the HAL might well use a totally different
> actual IRQ when it in turn accesses the hardware. So going by the
> information given in the device manager isn't always going to be totally
> accurate...

Lenny

> I have upgraded the driver from the Creative web site, but my computer has
> just re-booted again whilst typing out this reply. I am still trying to
> determine the cause of the problem.

I assume you're running a recently updated virus killer (NAV 2004 works fine
for me) /scumware detector (such as AdAware)?

Also, if the problem only exhibits itself with Outlook Express, I would
suggest un/reinstalling it, or even switching to a different email client.
There ARE other ones you know, and most are actually better than M$'s
offering.

Folk

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:40:24 +0000 (UTC), "V.Gridley"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for that comment.
>I was clutching at straws. I have heard that sound cards can frequently
>cause problems, so was trying to eliminate any possibility from that
>source.
>I have upgraded the driver from the Creative web site, but my computer has
>just re-booted again whilst typing out this reply. I am still trying to
>determine the cause of the problem.
>
>V.Gridley

OK, I'm scratching at old brain cells here, but I seem to recall that
there was a bad security fix (810847) from MS that would cause OE to
puke, although I don't recall that it caused a reboot. If you have
810847 installed you could try removing it and seeing if it fixes the
problem. I'm pretty sure it was permanently fixed in SP4.

V.Gridley

It appears to be negligence on my part.

I had failed to reinstall my virus checker when setting up the new system,
and when finally installed it reported "Win32. Nachi. A worm'
The virus has now been removed and my Windows 2000 system seems to be rock
steady.

Thanks for your comments anyway.

V.Gridley

news:(E-Mail Removed)...