SB2000 startup

Huge

My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

Any suggestions as to why?

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

haydude

On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
of my disks.

The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
such a power off, it never fails.

Hope this helps.

Huge

On 2008-06-23, haydude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

> I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
> to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
> as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
> it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
> of my disks.
>
> The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
> wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
> such a power off, it never fails.
>
> Hope this helps.

It does, thanks. Perhaps I should start looking for a replacement power supply?

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

DoN. Nichols

On 2008-06-23, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-06-23, haydude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
>>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
>>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

>> I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
>> to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
>> as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
>> it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
>> of my disks.
>>
>> The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
>> wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
>> such a power off, it never fails.
>>
>> Hope this helps.

> It does, thanks. Perhaps I should start looking for a replacement power supply?

Or perhaps pull the power connectors, spray with a good contact
enhancer such as DeOxit (I would suggest the predecessor Cramolin, but
that was shut down by the ozone layer problem), and work the connectors
on and off a few cycles. Note that there is the large connector which
carries the power to the system, and the smaller one which carries sense
signals back to the power supply. For that matter -- give the power
cord connector a similar treatment, in case it is oxidizing. (You
might try simply replacing the power cord while you are at it.)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Paul Gress

haydude wrote:
> On 23 Jun, 08:39, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.

> I have the same problem, only in my case, it may take several attempts
> to turn on (but it started just as you describe it). Sometimes it goes
> as far as spinning the first disk and then shuts down one second into
> it. Having done it several times, it damaged the first cylinder on one
> of my disks.
>
> The solution I have found is to shutdown the system with "init 0",
> wait for the OPB prompt and pull the power plug. When turned on after
> such a power off, it never fails.
>
> Hope this helps.

OK, this happens with my Blade 2500. After trying as you did to try to
start it, I have since learned to press the button ever so slowly and as
soon as it starts powering up, let go of the button without pressing it
fully. For me, my guess is its hardware, or the switch in particular.

Paul

Huge

On 2008-06-24, Trinean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Huge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g3njvu$s6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to why?

> If you can disconnect the keyboard/mouse and instead hook a serial
> connection to ttya, then maybe you can see if it spits out any error before
> shutting down. Sometimes it's as simple as a CPU not being torqued properly.
>
> Assuming you have no way to troubleshoot this way you can remove both CPUs
> and install just CPU0 torqued down properly and see if it works. Should you
> still have issues remove this and put CPU1 in CPU0's slot and see if that
> works any better.
>
> The SB2000 should have come with a green torque tool.

I didn't even realise that SB2000s had torqued down CPUs. They look like plugin
modules to me, like the ones in an U60. But I haven't looked lately.

And no, it didn't come with a torque tool.

On 2008-06-26, Huge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-06-24, Trinean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Huge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:g3njvu$s6$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My SB2000 has just started displaying a slightly worrying (and irritating)
>>> fault; when it's switched on, it only runs for about 15 seconds and then
>>> switches itself off. On the second time of asking, it's fine.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to why?

>> If you can disconnect the keyboard/mouse and instead hook a serial
>> connection to ttya, then maybe you can see if it spits out any error before
>> shutting down. Sometimes it's as simple as a CPU not being torqued properly.
>>
>> Assuming you have no way to troubleshoot this way you can remove both CPUs
>> and install just CPU0 torqued down properly and see if it works. Should you
>> still have issues remove this and put CPU1 in CPU0's slot and see if that
>> works any better.
>>
>> The SB2000 should have come with a green torque tool.

> I didn't even realise that SB2000s had torqued down CPUs. They look like plugin
> modules to me, like the ones in an U60. But I haven't looked lately.
>
> And no, it didn't come with a torque tool.

Hmm ... there are two formats of torque tool.

The older one which came in the SB-1000 mostly is a loop of 1/8"
diameter spring steel wire bent so when the proper torque is reached,
the ends of the loop touch. It is normally mounted in a bright green
plastic holder (the same color as the rings on the screws which mount
the CPU modules) which is slid between the two disk drive slots.

The newer kind is the same bright green, but looks like a stubby
screwdriver, and mounts in a plastic holder elsewhere in the system. I
can't tell you for sure, because I don't have an SB-2000, but I think
that it is near the drives at the junction of two pieces of sheet metal.

I have (in addition to two SB-1000s) a Sun Fire 280R (same
system board and CPU modules as the SB-1000 or SB-2000 with 900 MHz
US-III Cu CPUs) and the torque limiting screwdriver is in a different
location -- immediately visible once you open the cover -- which does
*not* switch off power unlike the SB-[12]000.

In any case, the driver releases with a click when it reaches
the right torque. IIRC, that is 5 In-Lbs, but I would have to dig out
the right manual to verify that. The bit of the screwdriver is a square
(Robertson) bit -- one of three common sizes. And yes, the torque is
critical -- too little and the connectors don't make reliable connection.
Too much, and you may damage the connectors on the board or the CPU
module.

From the Sun manual (806-4804-14.pdf, page 11) for the SF-280R
(same system board and CPUs as some versions of the SB-1000 and
SB-2000):

Your Sun Fire 280R Server Service Manual states that a torque
screwdriver is housed in the chassis between the disk drive bay
and the DVD-ROM drive bay. However, the torque screwdriver is
no longer included with the system. Instead, the torque
screwdriver is included with the optional CPU module.

Caution -- You must use the torque screwdriver to tighten the
captive screws on the CPU module the correct amount. If you
overtighten the captive screws, you can severely damage the main
logic board. If you undertighten the captive screws, you might
cause a loss of continuity and the system might not start.

Note -- You can also use an adjustable torque screwdriver set to 5
in-lbs.

The newest systems apparently did not come with the torque tool,
but (new) replacement or additional CPU modules were shipped with the
torque tool. If you have an adjustable torque-limiting screwdriver, you
can set it according to the values in the manual and get a Robertson bit
to put in to allow it to be used. Utica makes a very nice one, and the
model you want is the TS-100, but be sitting down when you read the
price. :-) There are three found on a quick eBay search, with current
bids ranging from $25.00 to $99.00, plus eBay store running from $99.00
to $219.00.

Note that the torque in the Sun manual is specified in
inch-pounds, but the TS-100 (Black Anodized) is calibrated in
inch-ounces, so you will need to multiply that 5 inch-pounds by 16 to
convert it to 80 inch-ounces.

Also -- note that the TS-30 (red anodized) is calibrated in
inch-pounds, but starts at 6. (However, it really works down at 5 well
enough for your purposes, if that is what you have.

I don't know whether the TS-35 is calibrated in Oz-In or in
In-Lbs, since I don't have one to examine.

Note that an eBay search for "Sun torque (wrench,screwdriver) is
bound to lead to frustration, because there is a brand of automotive
tools known as "Sun". That is what you get from a search. :-(

Good Luck,
DoN.

--

On 24 Jun, 02:56, "DoN. Nichols" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> * * * * Or perhaps pull the power connectors, spray with a good contact

Do you think that I did not try that?! That is not the problem!

haydude

On 24 Jun, 19:48, "Trinean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you can disconnect the keyboard/mouse and instead hook a serial
> connection to ttya, then maybe you can see if it spits out any error before
> shutting down. Sometimes it's as simple as a CPU not being torqued properly.
>
> Assuming you have no way to troubleshoot this way you can remove both CPUs
> and install just CPU0 torqued down properly and see if it works. Should you
> still have issues remove this and put CPU1 in CPU0's slot and see if that
> works any better.

Tried that too, serveral times, setting the OPB in long test mode too.
No messages before it shuts down.
Swapping, or even replacing the CPUs does not make any difference.
The two things I couldn't tru were:
- replace motherboard
- replace power supply

I tired everything else.

DoN. Nichols

On 2008-07-01, haydude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 24 Jun, 02:56, "DoN. Nichols" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> * * * * Or perhaps pull the power connectors, spray with a good contact

> Do you think that I did not try that?! That is not the problem!

You didn't *say* that you had tried that, so I suggested it just
in case you had not. I've found that it is better to assume that
anything unstated may not have been done -- no matter how logical it
might be.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564