SB51: Good Video Card Upgrade

sjc

I have had a SB51 for a few years for the kids computer.

What is a good AGP video card that I can upgrade to that works well. I
am not looking for anything SUPER, but just a little enhancement. Just
looking for something that runs a litte faster, and runs cool, and
doesn't use much power, as I only have the 200Watt Power Supply.

I am considering cards like:

Geforce MX4000 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
Radeon 9250 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
Radeon 9600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X

Any other recommendations would be GREAT!

Thanks!

NewMan

My daughter was using the ATI 7500. It was OK with Sims2 University,
but when Sims2 Nightlife came out, it hit the wall.

The upgrade I got was an nVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB of RAM. This
card can do 4X and 8X, so it was an ideal choice for an upgrade. The
capper was that it was only $89 CDN$ at London Drugs in Canada. Here
is a link for product info:

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...3-LX&family=13

With a card that good and that cheap, it is just hard to beat. And
nVidia to boot. Sorry to all the ATI users out there. I have been
computing for decades. 99% of all problems I have had with video cards
has been with ATI cards! They play the "OEM" game, and frequently do
not support a card if it was not "built by ATI". What horse ****. This
is the same thing that turned me off of US Robitics modems.

The kicker for me was a few years back. We upgraded a number of
Win98se machines to WinXP. These machines had ATI Rage IIC cards in
them. The Win98se drivers made full use of the cards capabilities. But
the onyl driver for WinXP was the Micro$haft one! And it only support
ed 800 x 600! What collaosal BULLSHIT! We were forced to upgrade our
cards because of non-existant support for WinXP at the hands of ATI.
ANd I can assure you, not one ATI card did we purchase! All ATIs were
replaced with nVidia. I get to spec new systems, and I wont have an
ATI card, period.

Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary. But I highly
recommend the nVidia cards.

BTW, our SG51 has the 200W supply as well. No problem running the
FX5500 card with 256MB of memory at all. It is fast, and cool.

hth

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:34:22 -0500, sjc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have had a SB51 for a few years for the kids computer.
>
>What is a good AGP video card that I can upgrade to that works well. I
>am not looking for anything SUPER, but just a little enhancement. Just
>looking for something that runs a litte faster, and runs cool, and
>doesn't use much power, as I only have the 200Watt Power Supply.
>
>I am considering cards like:
>
>Geforce MX4000 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
>Radeon 9250 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
>Radeon 9600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
>
>Any other recommendations would be GREAT!
>
>Thanks!

sjc

Thanks for the info! I checked out the card at Newegg....and it is
only $39.00 (US) after a $15 mail in rebate! Wow....that sounds like
a deal. The eVGA website says the FX5500 needs a 250 watt PS...which
makes me a little nervous. I would think if I works in your, it will
work in my little SB51.

Any other recommendations out there?

sjc

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:01:09 -0800, NewMan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My daughter was using the ATI 7500. It was OK with Sims2 University,
>but when Sims2 Nightlife came out, it hit the wall.
>
>The upgrade I got was an nVidia GeForce FX5500 with 256MB of RAM. This
>card can do 4X and 8X, so it was an ideal choice for an upgrade. The
>capper was that it was only $89 CDN$ at London Drugs in Canada. Here
>is a link for product info:
>
>http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...3-LX&family=13
>
>With a card that good and that cheap, it is just hard to beat. And
>nVidia to boot. Sorry to all the ATI users out there. I have been
>computing for decades. 99% of all problems I have had with video cards
>has been with ATI cards! They play the "OEM" game, and frequently do
>not support a card if it was not "built by ATI". What horse ****. This
>is the same thing that turned me off of US Robitics modems.
>
>The kicker for me was a few years back. We upgraded a number of
>Win98se machines to WinXP. These machines had ATI Rage IIC cards in
>them. The Win98se drivers made full use of the cards capabilities. But
>the onyl driver for WinXP was the Micro$haft one! And it only support
>ed 800 x 600! What collaosal BULLSHIT! We were forced to upgrade our
>cards because of non-existant support for WinXP at the hands of ATI.
>ANd I can assure you, not one ATI card did we purchase! All ATIs were
>replaced with nVidia. I get to spec new systems, and I wont have an
>ATI card, period.
>
>Just my personal experience, your mileage may vary. But I highly
>recommend the nVidia cards.
>
>BTW, our SG51 has the 200W supply as well. No problem running the
>FX5500 card with 256MB of memory at all. It is fast, and cool.
>
>hth
>
>On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:34:22 -0500, sjc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have had a SB51 for a few years for the kids computer.
>>
>>What is a good AGP video card that I can upgrade to that works well. I
>>am not looking for anything SUPER, but just a little enhancement. Just
>>looking for something that runs a litte faster, and runs cool, and
>>doesn't use much power, as I only have the 200Watt Power Supply.
>>
>>I am considering cards like:
>>
>>Geforce MX4000 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
>>Radeon 9250 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
>>Radeon 9600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
>>
>>Any other recommendations would be GREAT!
>>
>>Thanks!

BigSky

I was able to run a Gforce 5600 Ultra (requires a power plug) but eventually
started having weird video problems in more challenging games. I suspected
that the power supply may be inadequate but tried a Radeon 9700 Pro anyway
(also needs external power). This was a no go. So, I finally got the best
video card that doesn't require external power...the Radeon 9600XT from
eBay. Works like a champ with Battlefield 2, Middle Earth, etc...but then I
don't have all the video eye candy turned to the highest settings either.
Still gives my son fairly smooth screen play.

Shuttle says they burned in a system configured with 1GB ram, 3GHz P4,
Radeon 9800Pro, etc for 2 days. I think they are nuts on this 200W PS. If
money was no object and I hadn't purchased the 9600XT yet, I'd buy the 250
or 300 W PS and go for a 9800Pro or 9800XT.

"sjc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have had a SB51 for a few years for the kids computer.
>
> What is a good AGP video card that I can upgrade to that works well. I
> am not looking for anything SUPER, but just a little enhancement. Just
> looking for something that runs a litte faster, and runs cool, and
> doesn't use much power, as I only have the 200Watt Power Supply.
>
> I am considering cards like:
>
> Geforce MX4000 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card
> Radeon 9250 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
> Radeon 9600 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X
>
> Any other recommendations would be GREAT!
>
> Thanks!

NewMan

Well, one could always buy the 250W P/S!

For reference, I am using a Pentium 4 "Mobile" processor in my SB51G.
The up-side: I get the increased throughput of the Northwood Core, the
"downside": Since the FB51 mobo does not support "speed step"
technology, I can't jump to 2.8 GHz, and am runnng at 1.6 GHz. The "Up
side", the 1.6GHz Northwood is still faster than a 1.8 GHz Willamette!
And at 1.6 GHz, it is less of a drain on the 200W Power supply! Hit
that combo quite by accident, but it works, and works well. Stable and
solid as a rock. If you are running at faster speeds near the upper
limit of the motherboard like 2.8 or 3.0 GHz, then you may well need
to beef up to the 250W P/S. Only one way to find out for sure!

Keep up posted on what you do and how it goes.

hth