SB62G2: moving to RAID...

Evert Meulie

Hi everyone!

Just wondering: I have a SB62G2 unit here, running Gentoo Linux. This
box currently has 1 HD. Is it possible to add a 2nd HD & turn this in a
RAID-1 system (via the hardware/BIOS) WITHOUT losing the data already
present?

The system is based on ICH5-R.

Regards,
Evert Meulie

David Jones

Yes, quite easily.

"Evert Meulie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone!
>
> Just wondering: I have a SB62G2 unit here, running Gentoo Linux. This box
> currently has 1 HD. Is it possible to add a 2nd HD & turn this in a RAID-1
> system (via the hardware/BIOS) WITHOUT losing the data already present?
>
> The system is based on ICH5-R.
>

> Regards,
> Evert Meulie

Evert Meulie

I just pop in the extra HD, and then in the RAID BIOS I can create the
volume without loss of data?
(I know I probably have to edit the boot disk in Gentoo linux, but
that's the easy part...)

Regards,
Evert Meulie

David Jones wrote:
> Yes, quite easily.
>
> "Evert Meulie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi everyone!
>>
>>Just wondering: I have a SB62G2 unit here, running Gentoo Linux. This box
>>currently has 1 HD. Is it possible to add a 2nd HD & turn this in a RAID-1
>>system (via the hardware/BIOS) WITHOUT losing the data already present?
>>
>>The system is based on ICH5-R.
>>

>>Regards,
>> Evert Meulie

mophilly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Evert Meulie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just pop in the extra HD, and then in the RAID BIOS I can create the
> volume without loss of data?
> (I know I probably have to edit the boot disk in Gentoo linux, but
> that's the easy part...)

I use SME server (RedHat 7.3) and it is a simple matter to enable the
raid support. I strongly recommend a backup of the entire machine using
rsync before attempting this.

Evert Meulie

mophilly wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Evert Meulie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I just pop in the extra HD, and then in the RAID BIOS I can create the
>>volume without loss of data?
>>(I know I probably have to edit the boot disk in Gentoo linux, but
>>that's the easy part...)

> I use SME server (RedHat 7.3) and it is a simple matter to enable the
> raid support. I strongly recommend a backup of the entire machine using
> rsync before attempting this.

Enabling RAID in BIOS? And then it will ask me which HD to use as
'source drive'? Sounds plain/simple, yes...

Now I only have to find a similar HD to the one I have... They seem to
be out-dated already...

Moving to 64 bit OS on Abit AN8 Slitheen Abit 3 05-13-2005 01:35 AM
OT: KV8MAX3 moving system drive to SATA AP Abit 1 03-11-2005 12:45 AM
NF7-s moving hardrive iov Abit 14 06-30-2004 04:52 AM
Moving XP Pro to a new motherboard and hard drive R Hallman Abit 6 05-22-2004 03:02 PM
Resolved moving winxp from old to new system. Elliott Asus 2 01-19-2004 04:49 PM