SB81P. Am I screwed? :-(

Evert Meulie

Hi all!

Problems with my SB81P... :-(

During my holiday I had disconnected electricity & network. When I
reconnected the power yesterday, the SB81P came on for a split-second
and then off. When I then tried to power up the unit with the power
button, the fans came on but nothing else happened...
No signal to the screens, no BIOS-beep, nothing... :-(

I haven't gotten around yet to opening up the barebone yet...

Is this machine borked? Or is there a chance it's still alive? :-?

Regards,
Evert

Lothar_Wolf

Hey there!

I had a similar problem with my SB81P when I was assembling it. The
problem was the ram was not seated correctly.

My advise to you is to open up the case and re sit the ram. If that
doesn't work try resitting the graphics card if you have one. Worse
comes to worse try the CPU.

Hope that helps!

Andrew

PS. What CPU do you have in the box. I am looking to upgrade to a 670.
Just wondering if anyone else has heard if this has worked... as it is
theortically possible.

Evert Meulie

Hmm, I can't imagine any of those popping loose all by themselves, but
it's worth a try! ;-)
It would save me the trouble of RMA'ing the box...

I have a 650 in mine.

Regards,
Evert

Lothar_Wolf wrote:
> Hey there!
>
> I had a similar problem with my SB81P when I was assembling it. The
> problem was the ram was not seated correctly.
>
> My advise to you is to open up the case and re sit the ram. If that
> doesn't work try resitting the graphics card if you have one. Worse
> comes to worse try the CPU.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Andrew
>
> PS. What CPU do you have in the box. I am looking to upgrade to a 670.
> Just wondering if anyone else has heard if this has worked... as it is
> theortically possible.

Lothar_Wolf

Sometimes when you leave you computer for a long period of time turned
off it wont respond... because of dust. I have had similar issues in
the past. Just a suggestion.

The other problem is... one or both of your ram modules are bust.

What type of ram do you have?

Andrew

Evert Meulie

RAM: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 1024MB Kit w/two matched
CMX512-3200C2 DIMMs

Lothar_Wolf wrote:
> Sometimes when you leave you computer for a long period of time turned
> off it wont respond... because of dust. I have had similar issues in
> the past. Just a suggestion.
>
> The other problem is... one or both of your ram modules are bust.
>
> What type of ram do you have?
>
> Andrew

Lothar_Wolf

How did you go?

Find the problem?

Andrew

Evert Meulie

Well... I tried again yesterday, and then the system booted without any
problems! :-?

So then I decided against opening up the box for now... But I guess I
have to keep an eye on it... :-/

Greetings,
Evert

Lothar_Wolf wrote:
> How did you go?
>
> Find the problem?
>
> Andrew

Lothar_Wolf

Good to hear that the machine is working.

I am now running my machine with a 670. AWESOME! Kicks over the 530.
Only cost me 499AUD for the 570 too!

Andrew

Evert Meulie

I guess I cheered too early... :-/

The problem has returned. This weekend I will open up the beast and
check for loose connections, etc.

Just wondering: When the machine is connected to electricity, and the
0-1 switch on the back is set to '1', should I have any lights active on
the ethernet connection if there's a cable plugged in?
Or will these lights only come on on the SB81P when the machine is
booted up?

Regards,
Evert