SBLive Console Utility Needed

skeptic

I am in need of a BCB 3.0 compatible Console 32 application that
programs the SB Live 5.1 PCI 32-bit sound card FM-Synthesizer to play
a tone at a given duration.

Minimal requirements:
Using FM-Synthesis (OPL3(2)), generate a tone of 800 Hz for 1 solid second.
Executed as a 32-bit Console application.

This is to play through a SB Live 5.1 PCI card, which uses the "exotic"
$Dxxx address space for its control.

If anyone has such an application that can do this, PLEASE contact me.
I would love to learn how this is done using the newer SB Live 5.1 PCI
cards.

In the old days, programming the ISA OPL3(2) was VERY EASY!
But now that things have changed under Win98SE, etc., it is not quite as
easy.

I may need a special I/O DLL or something that would allow me access to
the SB Live 5.1 internal registers/dma/etc.

PLEASE let me know if you can be of assistance. Thanks!

AIM: SirSkeptic
Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Sharanga Dayananda

I don't think you can directly playback OPL-3 tones as the synth on the
Live series is a wavetable synth. I think it still has oscillators and
stuff but you have to control it through soundfonts, which are the basis
of MIDI synthesis.

You might be able to play around with this
http://developer.creative.com/landin...bcat=34&top=51

and a custom soundfont to achieve this effect. For the soundfont
generation you'll need Vienna SF Studio.

Maybe someone else can help you out. BTW, it isn't possible to directly
access the hardware anymore. The whole point of the driver is to mask
the hardware under Windows.

skeptic wrote:

> I am in need of a BCB 3.0 compatible Console 32 application that
> programs the SB Live 5.1 PCI 32-bit sound card FM-Synthesizer to play
> a tone at a given duration.
>
> Minimal requirements:
> Using FM-Synthesis (OPL3(2)), generate a tone of 800 Hz for 1 solid second.
> Executed as a 32-bit Console application.
>
> This is to play through a SB Live 5.1 PCI card, which uses the "exotic"
> $Dxxx address space for its control.
>
> If anyone has such an application that can do this, PLEASE contact me.
> I would love to learn how this is done using the newer SB Live 5.1 PCI
> cards.
>
> In the old days, programming the ISA OPL3(2) was VERY EASY!
> But now that things have changed under Win98SE, etc., it is not quite as
> easy.
>
> I may need a special I/O DLL or something that would allow me access to
> the SB Live 5.1 internal registers/dma/etc.
>
> PLEASE let me know if you can be of assistance. Thanks!
>
> AIM: SirSkeptic
> Email: (E-Mail Removed)

Lenny

> I am in need of a BCB 3.0 compatible Console 32 application that
> programs the SB Live 5.1 PCI 32-bit sound card FM-Synthesizer to play
> a tone at a given duration.

Sorry, but the Live (and Audigy) cards do not have that crappy old Yamaha
OPL3 FM synth. They're based on a digital programmable DSP, not a bunch of
fixed-function oscillators. Under win9x, Creative supplies their own
emulator for Live cards, but it's no longer available in XP (to my knowledge
at least).

There is a software emulator though that simulates a soundblaster 16 (and/or
possibly other creative stoneage hardware) on any directsound-compatible
soundcard, you might want to try that one. No, sorry, I can't remember its
name, so you'll have to google for it or maybe someone else here
remembers...

skeptic

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 08:56:18 +0000, Lenny wrote:

>> I am in need of a BCB 3.0 compatible Console 32 application that
>> programs the SB Live 5.1 PCI 32-bit sound card FM-Synthesizer to play
>> a tone at a given duration.

> Sorry, but the Live (and Audigy) cards do not have that crappy old Yamaha
> OPL3 FM synth. They're based on a digital programmable DSP, not a bunch of
> fixed-function oscillators. Under win9x, Creative supplies their own
> emulator for Live cards, but it's no longer available in XP (to my knowledge
> at least).
>
> There is a software emulator though that simulates a soundblaster 16 (and/or
> possibly other creative stoneage hardware) on any directsound-compatible
> soundcard, you might want to try that one. No, sorry, I can't remember its
> name, so you'll have to google for it or maybe someone else here
> remembers...

Direct Sound sounds like "Direct X" nonsense, something no one in their
right mind has ever been impressed with, and wdm is one of the worst evils
to have ever been introduced to windows video/sound interface.

All I want to do is simply generate a fixed-frequency tone for a specific
duration, that should not be very difficult to do! and do it without
useless proprietary windows nonsense to accomplish it!

Creative should have at least that much available in the public domain.

AGAIN:
If anyone has a console-32 (non gui) application that can play a
fixed-frequency tone (800 Hz) for one complete second, then PLEASE
CONTACT me. thanks!

I can be reached at (E-Mail Removed)
and AIM: SirSkeptic

/var/log/windowserver.log not showing up in Console utility Jeff Wiseman Apple 22 03-24-2005 01:49 AM
SBLive or AC97 Kevin C. Abit 1 10-22-2004 10:53 AM
P4P800 integrated audio, is it good enough, or should I put my sblive! back in? Bronney Hui Asus 8 08-23-2004 09:51 AM
Help needed--SBLive Platinum 5.1 troubles--can't get front end to work Phin Soundblaster Live 2 05-12-2004 07:14 AM
A7V133 + WinXP = cannot install SBLive! -DraconuS- Asus 0 10-28-2003 08:01 AM