scan apps fail to detect scanner device with headset plugged in - please help

Adam

Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)

Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.

Any ideas?

Mike S.

In article <jg9km4$19k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>
>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>
>Any ideas?

What is the headet-to-PC interface?
Analog audio? USB?

Adam

"Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jg9lqf$e9h$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In article <jg9km4$19k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>>
>>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
>>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
>>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> What is the headet-to-PC interface?
> Analog audio? USB?

Good question. I am using the Sennheiser HD 202 (3.5 mm straight plug,
according to box).

Connecting the scanner to a "different" USB port works fine with headset
plugged in.
My guess is that the USB port "closest" to the headset port may be shared?
If so,
this is not documented in the User Manual. But, I could be missing
something.

BillW50

Adam wrote:
> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>
> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers. And
when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame! That is what open
source is all about. There is nothing professional about it. So I don't
know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

BillW50

BillW50 wrote:
> Adam wrote:
>> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>>
>> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
>> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
>> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers. And
> when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame! That is what open
> source is all about. There is nothing professional about it. So I don't
> know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

I don't understand the problem? It's all open source which means you
have the source code (or at least can get it). And there is obviously a
bug. So take some responsibility for yourself man! Fix it and recompile.
And if it is too hot in the kitchen, then what are you doing there?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix Linux

Adam

"Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jg9lqf$e9h$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In article <jg9km4$19k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>>
>>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
>>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
>>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>>
>>Any ideas?

> What is the headet-to-PC interface?
> Analog audio? USB?

Good question. I am using the Sennheiser HD 202 (3.5 mm straight plug,
according to box).

Correction ... connecting the scanner to a "different" USB port with headset
plugged in does "not" work either (contrary to my 1:30 PM post, which has
been canceled).

Aragorn

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 22:33, BillW50 conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.ubuntu...

> Adam wrote:
>> Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>> System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>>
>> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
>> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
>> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>>
>> Any ideas?

> Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

For your information, GNU/Linux has already for long surpassed
proprietary UNIX in professionalism, robustness and quality.

A great number of hardware vendors is working with the Linux kernel
development team directly and are releasing their driver code under the
GPLv2. There is no other operating system on the planet that supports
as many hardware architectures and as many hardware peripherals out of
the box as GNU/Linux.

In addition to that, 96% of the world's most powerful supercomputers are
running GNU/Linux, and it also runs on IBM mainframes, on the bare
metal. Do you seriously think that an amateurish OS with amateurish
drivers would ever be selected for those purposes?

> And when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame!

When something goes wrong in proprietary operating systems, there's
nobody to blame either. And if you won't believe that, then please read
their EULAs more carefully next time.

> That is what open source is all about. There is nothing professional
> about it.

You obviously have a very personal and totally skewed definition of the
word "professional".

> So I don't know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

You score about 3 on the troll-o-meter, and about 7 on the flame bait
meter. I guess that makes you an amateur.

--
= Aragorn =
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

Adam

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote in message
news:jg9mhb$dnm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:jg9lqf$e9h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> In article <jg9km4$19k$(E-Mail Removed)>, Adam <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>>>Host OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>>>System: ASUS N61JQ (laptop)
>>>
>>>Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
>>>detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
>>>As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?

>> What is the headet-to-PC interface?
>> Analog audio? USB?
>>

> Good question. I am using the Sennheiser HD 202 (3.5 mm straight plug,
> according to box).
>
> Connecting the scanner to a "different" USB port works fine with headset
> plugged in.
> My guess is that the USB port "closest" to the headset port may be shared?
> If so,
> this is not documented in the User Manual. But, I could be missing
> something.

Although a bit flaky (since I get I/O error every other try), I was able to
get it to scan using a "different" USB port with headset plugged in.

Sorry for the confusion.

And, I love Ubuntu ! :-)

Bob_Villa

On Jan 31, 4:55*pm, Aragorn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 January 2012 22:33, BillW50 conveyed the following to
> alt.os.linux.ubuntu...
>
> > Adam wrote:
> >> Host OS: * *Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
> >> System: * *ASUS N61JQ (laptop)

> >> Scan apps (like gscan2pdf, XSane Image Scanner, etc.) fail to
> >> detect scanner device (HP ScanJet 6350Cxi) with headset plugged in.
> >> As soon as I unplug the headset, scan apps work fine.

> >> Any ideas?

> > Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

> For your information, GNU/Linux has already for long surpassed
> proprietary UNIX in professionalism, robustness and quality.
>
> A great number of hardware vendors is working with the Linux kernel
> development team directly and are releasing their driver code under the
> GPLv2. *There is no other operating system on the planet that supports
> as many hardware architectures and as many hardware peripherals out of
> the box as GNU/Linux.
>
> In addition to that, 96% of the world's most powerful supercomputers are
> running GNU/Linux, and it also runs on IBM mainframes, on the bare
> metal. *Do you seriously think that an amateurish OS with amateurish
> drivers would ever be selected for those purposes?
>
> > And when something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame!

> When something goes wrong in proprietary operating systems, there's
> nobody to blame either. *And if you won't believe that, then please read
> their EULAs more carefully next time.
>
> > That is what open source is all about. There is nothing professional
> > about it.

> You obviously have a very personal and totally skewed definition of the
> word "professional".
>
> > So I don't know what you are expecting with a bunch of amateurs?

> You score about 3 on the troll-o-meter, and about 7 on the flame bait
> meter. *I guess that makes you an amateur.
>
> --
> = Aragorn =
> (registered GNU/Linux user #223157)

Good response...and deserved! :-)

Dirk T. Verbeek

Op 31-01-12 23:07 schreef BillW50:
> Hi Adam. Linux is an amateurish OS built with amateurish drivers.

You should take your pills.