Screen blanking problems in Solaris 10

Jeff Wieland

We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
of inactivity.

Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
the secondary framebuffer is to log out.

I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
but there never seemed to be a solution.

Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
--
Jeff Wieland

vinayaga

On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
> on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
> that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
> blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
> of inactivity.
>
> Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
> and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
> the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
> the secondary framebuffer is to log out.
>
> I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
> but there never seemed to be a solution.
>
> Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
> --
> Jeff Wieland

Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

vinayaga

On Mar 25, 11:44 am, vinayaga <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 24, 6:29 pm, Jeff Wieland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > We've been having weird problems with screen blanking in Solaris 10
> > on SPARC (no idea about X64 -- we don't use it). On a Sun Blade 100
> > that we've been using for testing, the built-in M64 framebuffer will
> > blank properly - sometimes - but will then unblank after 30 minutes
> > of inactivity.

> > Something even more annoying happens if we run with two framebuffers
> > and with ximerama enabled -- if you are logged in it will only unblank
> > the primary framebuffer. The only way that we've been able to unblank
> > the secondary framebuffer is to log out.

> > I've seen some discussion about this problem in comp.unix.solaris,
> > but there never seemed to be a solution.

> > Please remove the "nospam" from my address if responding via email.
> > --
> > Jeff Wieland

> Kindly modify the /.xscreensaver file with time out option.

sorry to update the syntax.
timout: 10:00:00 # 10 hours no blank screen

vinayag

ChrisS

Jeff,

I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
hardware and/or power management functions.

Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.

So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.

Chris

Jeff Wieland

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ChrisS <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Jeff,
>
>I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
>screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
>with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
>Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
>24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
>hardware and/or power management functions.
>
>Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
>XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
>
>So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
>
>Chris

They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.

BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
--
Jeff Wieland

Jeff Wieland

In article <fsbp7e$ao0$(E-Mail Removed)> Jeff Wieland <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ChrisS <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Jeff,
>>
>>I've also seen similar activity, but only a reboot will restore the
>>screen/framebuffer. Unfortunately that's where the similarity stops
>>with our hardware. I'm using dual XVR-2500s, with NEC 20 inch and
>>Eizo 24 inch monitors. The blanking rarely, if ever, occurs on a Sun
>>24 inch monitors. So it's possibly some compatibility between the
>>hardware and/or power management functions.
>>
>>Blanking has been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced by continually updating the
>>XVR-2500 drivers when they are released from Sun.
>>
>>So ..... ensure you have the latest XVR-100 drivers installed as well.
>>
>>Chris
>>

>They were current as of about 2 weeks ago.
>
>BTW, the blanking problems show up even when at the login screen.
>--
>Jeff Wieland

After a system reboot, the monitor will blank after 10 minutes,
and unblank at 30 minutes.

As far as I can tell, Xsun is set blank after 10 minutes. The output
from "xset q" looks like (I get this from my /etc/dt/config/Xsetup
script):

Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
[stuff deleted]
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 1440 Suspend: 1620 Off: 1800
DPMS is enabled
Monitor is on
FBPM (Frame Buffer Power Management):
System is not capable of FBPM

I've tried having turning off DPMS and powerd, but we get the
same result. Weird.

--
Jeff Wieland