Screen flickering.

Scott

My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set to
the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
version. Is this normal?

Sjouke Burry

Scott wrote:
> My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set to
> the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
> version. Is this normal?

It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
or convertor.
At low light levels the hardware starts failing
ignition of the tube.
Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

Scott

Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
brightness by a step.

Sjouke Burry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set
>> the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
>> version. Is this normal?

> It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
> or convertor.
> At low light levels the hardware starts failing
> ignition of the tube.
> Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

Bob Villa

On Nov 22, 1:28*am, Scott <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
> brightness by a step.
>
> Sjouke Burry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Scott wrote:
> >> My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set
> >> the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
> >> version. Is this normal?

> > It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
> > or convertor.
> > At low light levels the hardware starts failing
> > ignition of the tube.
> > Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

You may be good for years...just keep it at a threshold that doesn't
flicker. (I wish they made a netbook display like the ebooks have-no
back-light!)

Scott

How does text entry work on an e-ink screen? Is every character you type
considered a screen refresh? If so that would consume a lot of power for
typical text editing or spreadsheet tasks.

Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 22, 1:28 am, Scott <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
>> brightness by a step.
>>
>> Sjouke Burry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
>>> or convertor.
>>> At low light levels the hardware starts failing
>>> ignition of the tube.
>>> Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

> You may be good for years...just keep it at a threshold that doesn't
> flicker. (I wish they made a netbook display like the ebooks have-no
> back-light!)

Bob Villa

On Nov 22, 7:00*am, Scott <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> How does text entry work on an e-ink screen? Is every character you type
> considered a screen refresh? If so that would consume a lot of power for
> typical text editing or spreadsheet tasks.
>
> Bob Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Nov 22, 1:28 am, Scott <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> Will it get worse? Currently, the flickering stops when I increase
> >> brightness by a step.

> > You may be good for years...just keep it at a threshold that doesn't
> > flicker. *(I wish they made a netbook display like the ebooks have-no
> > back-light!)

I'm not talking about the way an ebook may work...only applying the
display technology (ambient rather than back-lit).

BillW50

In news:4ce9ba52$0$8930$(E-Mail Removed),
Sjouke Burry typed on Mon, 22 Nov 2010 01:33:22 +0100:
> Scott wrote:
>> My Eee PC 1000's screen flickers at intermittant intervals when set
>> to the dimest brightness setting. This is the stock Linux (Xandros)
>> version. Is this normal?

> It points to a not very good fluorecent tube,
> or convertor.
> At low light levels the hardware starts failing
> ignition of the tube.
> Advice: live with it and up the brightness a little bit.

EeePCs doesn't use florescent tubes or inverters (what you are calling a
converter). They use LEDs for back lighting. And no Scott, that isn't
normal. Although I would guess it will work for years this way.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3