I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
next Macintosh.

I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-25 12:15 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
> next Macintosh.

Sexy Disk Drive?

> I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
> don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
> drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?

I would hope on the SSD. In effect, the directory structure that a
virgin install would result in, as well as after adding users.

Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
> on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

But those folders go inside the user's home folder. If the Users folder is
on the SSD and I I move those folders out of the user's home folder, they
won't be protected by my user password.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Tim Streater

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm considering getting an SDD as well as a conventional hard drive with my
> next Macintosh.
>
> I know that in such a configuration, the OS comes installed on the SDD, but
> don't know what else is installed on it, and what is installed on the hard
> drive. For instance, where are the Users and Applications folders located?

Yes, it's just a disk, so everything comes on it as normal.

I bought the low end Mini (hence, these days, with an empty slot), and
an SSD and extra memory from Crucial. Then I sent it all off to be
installed by a professional outfit and so now have a decent speed
machine. Cheaper than buying a config with SSD from the Apple Store.

--
Tim

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-25 12:44 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
>> on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

> But those folders go inside the user's home folder. If the Users folder is
> on the SSD and I I move those folders out of the user's home folder, they
> won't be protected by my user password.

If you follow the Apple OS X "preset" structure for music, photos,
documents, then yes.

But you certainly don't have to and I don't know of an application that
won't access files outside the defaults/presets (not entirely sure about
iTunes).

For example, my photos are (99.99%) within:

~/documents/photography/photographs

rather than in

~/Pictures

And those phots could indeed be on a separate drive such as

/volumes/drobo/photos

if desired.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Tim Streater

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
> > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

> But those folders go inside the user's home folder.

Only by default.

> If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
> the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.

Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
your HDD, otherwise?

--
Tim

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-25 12:57 , Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and

>> so > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed
>> things up.
>>
>> But those folders go inside the user's home folder.

> Only by default.
>
>> If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
>> the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.

> Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
> your HDD, otherwise?

Thanks, I forgot to address the password / owner issue.

I'd add to that that you can use the FileVault feature as well for both
the 2nd internal volume and external volumes.

--

Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Relegate HDD to large file collections, databases, music, photos and so
> > > on. Though edits (photos) could be done on the SSD to speed things up.

> > But those folders go inside the user's home folder.

> Only by default.
>
> > If the Users folder is on the SSD and I I move those folders out of
> > the user's home folder, they won't be protected by my user password.

> Why not? You created them, you own them. What do you expect to do with
> your HDD, otherwise?

Well, I was hoping to be able to put the Users folder on the HDD, and keep
all my documents there, with the OS and applications staying on the SSD.

But if the next generation of iMac offers SSDs greater than the current
256G, I just may get only an SSD, and forego an HDD entirely. (Depending
on price, of course.)

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks, I forgot to address the password / owner issue.
>
> I'd add to that that you can use the FileVault feature as well for both
> the 2nd internal volume and external volumes.

How would that affect other users?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For example, my photos are (99.99%) within:
>
> ~/documents/photography/photographs
>
> rather than in
>
> ~/Pictures

Both of those are in your Home folder, though.

> And those phots could indeed be on a separate drive such as
>
> /volumes/drobo/photos

And therefore accessible from any user account on the computer, right?

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as