Secondary 80 gig Drive not found.

Howard Huntley

I just added a Secondary 80 gig Drive to my Blade 100. I can not see
the drive any place in df, format, fdisk or smc. this is my second
attempt at adding the second drive. I don't want it as any kind of
raid or mirroring sys I want the entire drive as storage. The drive is
configured as cable select. Can any one give me any directions.

Doug McIntyre

Howard Huntley <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I just added a Secondary 80 gig Drive to my Blade 100. I can not see
>the drive any place in df, format, fdisk or smc. this is my second
>attempt at adding the second drive. I don't want it as any kind of
>raid or mirroring sys I want the entire drive as storage. The drive is
>configured as cable select. Can any one give me any directions.

Have you 'devfsadm' or done a reconfigure boot yet?

DoN. Nichols

On 2008-09-09, Howard Huntley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just added a Secondary 80 gig Drive to my Blade 100. I can not see
> the drive any place in df, format, fdisk or smc.

Did you try "probe-scsi-all" from the OBP (boot ROM) command
level at the "ok" prompt? This can tell you whether the computer can
even *see* the drive.

Or maybe it will need to be "probe-ide-all" -- I don't have one
up at present to check which works there.

And what OS are you running? If Solaris 10, try this from the
root prompt:

devfsadm

which should create the /dev/disk and /dev/rdsk entries. It will take a
while (not sure how long with only two disks and a slow system like
that). It should not take more than a couple of minutes I think.

Or -- as alternatives, you can either issue the command

touch reconfigure

and then reboot. Or back down to the OBP (boot rom level) and type

boot -r

which does the same thing.

If you had had the other disk in the computer when you installed
Solaris, it would have offered to let you add that to the system at that
time.

Anyway *then* try "format" for partitioning it and then newfs
for creating filesystems on the partitions which you have created. You
may need to actually run the full format from within the format menu
before you can partition it.

Then you will need to create mount points (with mkdir) add them
to /etc/vfstab so they will be mounted automatically.

> this is my second
> attempt at adding the second drive. I don't want it as any kind of
> raid or mirroring sys I want the entire drive as storage. The drive is
> configured as cable select. Can any one give me any directions.

You have my suggestions above -- what I would try with Solaris
10 on a Sun Blade 100. If the OS is something else -- the game will
change totally.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Barry OGrady

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:34:34 -0400, Howard Huntley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just added a Secondary 80 gig Drive to my Blade 100. I can not see
>the drive any place in df, format, fdisk or smc. this is my second
>attempt at adding the second drive. I don't want it as any kind of
>raid or mirroring sys I want the entire drive as storage. The drive is
>configured as cable select. Can any one give me any directions.

man zpool.

Barry
=====
Home page