Seeking compatible RAM for system

Bill

I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
excellent RAM. I will not overclock.

I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this to
be true or not).

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important, and
reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number of
years (passing them down...).

Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that you
have confidence with?

Thank you for considering my questions!
Bill

peter

I have confidence in G.Skill Ram.
Had some running on an older socket 939 mobo for about 2 years.
Sat on the shelf for another year and then put the unit back together
to give to someone...been running without problems for another year so far.

Looking at buying almost the same setup except want the Ripjaw 1600 Ram.
Good Value for the money with a little headroom left for OC'ing.
The 860 chip has build in memory controller which limits the voltage to 1.65
So your under that limit and still have room to OC slightly.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
> Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
> excellent RAM. I will not overclock.
>
> I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
> maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
> than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this
> to be true or not).
>
> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
> 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
>
> I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
> more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important, and
> reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number of
> years (passing them down...).
>
> Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that
> you have confidence with?
>
> Thank you for considering my questions!
> Bill

Bill

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:W%FRm.35860$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have confidence in G.Skill Ram.
> Had some running on an older socket 939 mobo for about 2 years.
> Sat on the shelf for another year and then put the unit back together
> to give to someone...been running without problems for another year so
> far.
>
> Looking at buying almost the same setup except want the Ripjaw 1600 Ram.
> Good Value for the money with a little headroom left for OC'ing.
> The 860 chip has build in memory controller which limits the voltage to
> 1.65
> So your under that limit and still have room to OC slightly.
>
> peter

Thank you for mentioning that about the 1.65 volts for the CPU--that maybe
very helpful information.
I don't have much overclocking knowledge: do you anticipate running an
Intel-860 with memory speed
close to 1600 (I saw that memory for the chip is stated at 1333 at
intel.com)? If so, do you use extra
cooling? Just curious. -Bill

> --
> If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
> or disruptive,please ignore it.
> If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
> to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
>
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
>> Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
>> excellent RAM. I will not overclock.
>>
>> I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
>> maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
>> than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this
>> to be true or not).
>>
>> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
>> 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
>>
>> I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
>> more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important,
>> and reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number
>> of years (passing them down...).
>>
>> Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that
>> you have confidence with?
>>
>> Thank you for considering my questions!
>> Bill

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
>Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
>excellent RAM. I will not overclock.

A related question: When I choose "Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS,
will the motherboard be able to figure out whether RAM expects 1.5v, 1.55v
or something else?

Thanks,
Bill

Paul

Bill wrote:
> I am planning to buy Intel-860 CPU, Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard, a
> Gigabyte fan-less graphics card (Model: GV-N98TSL-1G), and I am seeking
> excellent RAM. I will not overclock.
>
> I was looking at the following RAM because of the low latency. I thought
> maybe since it was 1.5v (and not higher) that it might produce less heat
> than some of the alternatives (I'm not really sure whether to expect this to
> be true or not).
>
> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
> 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail
>
> I would prefer to buy a more familiar name even if it cost a few dollars
> more. Being sure the RAM is compatible with the MB is very important, and
> reliability/stability is very important. I run systems for a number of
> years (passing them down...).
>
> Is this a good choice for the memory or might you recommend another that you
> have confidence with?
>
> Thank you for considering my questions!
> Bill

Check the reviews before you buy. I usually look for DOA data, to get
some idea whether a product is worth having or not. There are 23 reviews
here right now for the F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH.

The JEDEC memory standards in the past, have not considered the voltage
rating for RAM. And the reason for that, is they assume just one
operating voltage as valid. Like the 1.5V you mention. Boosting
the voltage is a foreign concept to JEDEC. They would sooner
give a nominal rating, like 1.5V +/- some tolerance. They would
feel uncomfortable stating the value is 1.5V all the way up to
1.9V or whatever. Normally, they pick a single value as a target
for all chip manufacturers to meet. A low voltage is selected,
to encourage power savings from one generation to the next.

There are at least a couple of optional standards for SPD on the DIMM.
They may enhance the reocrded info, by recording the operating voltage
to be used. If your motherboard BIOS supports such a standard,
then "Auto" would automatically consider the recorded voltage value.
Otherwise, the user is expected to set up the peak setting manually
for getting their RAM to the rated speed. If your BIOS doesn't support
those standards, then you're expected to apply the rated settings
yourself.

Nvidia/Corsairmicro EPP pseudo-standard

http://www.simmtester.com/page/news/...ws.asp?num=151

Intel XMP DDR3 extreme memory profile

http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/319124.pdf

Paul

Bill

news:hf7is9$ina$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> Nvidia/Corsairmicro EPP pseudo-standard
>
> http://www.simmtester.com/page/news/...ws.asp?num=151
>
> Intel XMP DDR3 extreme memory profile
>
> http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/319124.pdf
>
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks for a good lesson!

Bill

peter

Yes I use an aftermarket CPU heatsink..matter of fact I am still
researching aftermarket coolers as my favorite cooler company
is just now coming out with products for that chipset....Thermalright.

At the present time it seems the Noctua NH-D14 would be the one to buy.
I don't go into extreme OC'ing but I want to be sure it runs cool.
Heat Kills