Setting up cheap RAID. Advice on drives

doddie

Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using 2x
160GB > SATAII

Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget is
about 60 quid

seen this one from Amazon ...
Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
30.99

thanks for looking

Brownz \(Mobile\)

doddie wrote:
> Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using
> 2x 160GB > SATAII
>
> Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget
> is about 60 quid
>
> seen this one from Amazon ...
> Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
> 30.99
>
> thanks for looking

nnngggg - maxtor - noooooo !

I would be looking at Hitachi or Samsung if it were my system.

To get really reliable then budget for an enterprise class sata drive.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

DCA

Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
> doddie wrote:
>
>> Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using
>> 2x 160GB > SATAII
>>
>> Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget
>> is about 60 quid
>>
>> seen this one from Amazon ...
>> Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
>> 30.99
>>
>> thanks for looking
>>

> nnngggg - maxtor - noooooo !
>
> I would be looking at Hitachi or Samsung if it were my system.
>
> To get really reliable then budget for an enterprise class sata drive.

Ehh - why not Maxtor? He needs to test his RAID so a perfect solution!

DCA

kony wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:46:26 GMT, "Brownz \(Mobile\)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> doddie wrote:
>>
>>> Got a Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 DS3 REV2 wanting to setup a raid using
>>> 2x 160GB > SATAII
>>>
>>> Can anyone recommend make/model of drives to get, reliable? my budget
>>> is about 60 quid
>>>
>>> seen this one from Amazon ...
>>> Maxtor 250GB S/ATA2 7200rpm 8MB Cache, SATA 300 Hard Drive
>>> 30.99
>>>
>>> thanks for looking
>>>

>> nnngggg - maxtor - noooooo !
>>
>> I would be looking at Hitachi or Samsung if it were my system.
>>

> Ironically, that is a Seagate designed and manufactured
> drive with a Maxtor label. Haven't you kept up with the
> state of affairs after Maxtor was bought by Seagate?

what is? the hitachi or the samsung - neither to my knowledge!

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:30:03 +0100, "doddie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip>

>So raid 0 the way to go for now, will there be much speed increase compared
>to single drive?
>

>Specs...
>
>Intel Duo E8200 oc to 3.2 ghz
>2GB Crucial
>512mb Asus 8800 GT TOP
>XP
>
>Thanks for all the replys :-)

I'd really be interested to hear back from you as to whether you
actually see any speed improvement. I had a RAID 0 setup on a board
several years ago (dual PATA drives, not SATA) and I found it just a
bother, with no descernable improvement at all. I now have a
RAID-capable board but haven't tired setting RAID up, since my
previous experience was disappointing.

--
Charlie Hoffpauir

DCA

kony wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:24:13 GMT, DCA
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>> Ironically, that is a Seagate designed and manufactured
>>> drive with a Maxtor label. Haven't you kept up with the
>>> state of affairs after Maxtor was bought by Seagate?
>>>

>> what is? the hitachi or the samsung - neither to my knowledge!
>>

> Where in the world do you get Samsung from? The Maxtor is a
> Seagate, it is fairly common knowledge among those who kept
> up with such things.

Yes - I know