Should I replace my 3-cell battery with a 9-cell, in my Acer Netbook?

walterbyrd

Just bought an Acer eMachines eM250-1162 Netbook at Walmart $228. I
was disappointed to find that the 3-cell UM08A31 battery will only
last 3 hours.

It is my understanding that I can replace the 3-cell with a 6-cell, or
a 9-cell, and get longer battery life. For example, this 9-cell
battery:

http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Capac...4961797&sr=1-1

Claims "Compatible Part Numbers: UM08A31"

I suppose I also have to assume this will raise the profile of the
netbook, quite a lot.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
AJL typed on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:31:03 -0700:
> With my Eee PC netbook I went from a 4400 to a 6600 mAh battery
> without any change in the battery case size. That's because the 4400
> mAh battery had some empty cell holes inside the case and the
> replacement 6600mAh battery filled the empty holes with cells. That
> increased my use time from about 3 to 5 hours (surfing with wireless
> on). I think the extra time gained from a monster battery just isn't
> worth the pregnant look and added weight but YMMV...

I have four 5200mah and one 10440mah batteries. I actually have a
5200mah and a 10440mah with me right now out and about. I never ran out
of power yet with carrying around two batteries. Although if I do, I
guess I'll start carrying the other three around with me too. ;-)

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
walterbyrd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Just bought an Acer eMachines eM250-1162 Netbook at Walmart $228. I
>was disappointed to find that the 3-cell UM08A31 battery will only
>last 3 hours.
>
>It is my understanding that I can replace the 3-cell with a 6-cell, or
>a 9-cell, and get longer battery life. For example, this 9-cell
>battery:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Capac...4961797&sr=1-1
>
>Claims "Compatible Part Numbers: UM08A31"
>
>I suppose I also have to assume this will raise the profile of the
>netbook, quite a lot.

Why not return it and invest the extra cost in a netbook that comes with a
factory standard battery having higher capacity?