Shuttle ak32vn problem

RNA

I just bought a shuttle ak32vn motherboard and an AMD 2400 processor to
update for my wife. All installed ok, but the board posts as an AMD 1800+
cpu. it runs fine like this, but I'd like full power of the CPU.

I changed J2 to 133 fsb and the cpu posts as AMD 2400+, but upon start-up
of winXP it gets to the wlecome screen and then I hear a "click" and the
system reboots. I flashed the bios (ak32v006) and still same problem.

The system:

AK32VN 3.1
AMD 2400
1 x 512 micron ddr 2700 (tested OK on other system)
Antec case 350 W
ATI 9000 pro

I bought this combo because the final price was $69 for both.

Any suggestions on the rebooting problem?

Thanks,

Bob

John Hufnagel

Bob:

In the past month, I've built two of these units.

One would not even beep with an ATI Rage Pro Maxx (dual processor)
video board. Putting in a Rage 128 Pro board solved that problem.
However, I don't think the video is your problem - I'd bet on the
memory.

Try this -

Go into setup and select the frequency/voltage settings page.

You should see the frequency at 133 MHZ..
Try reducing the frequency by stages until the system is stable.
If you're lucky, this will get you back most of the power of the 2400+

BTW, the machine I'm using is running stable with Kingston memory
256-pc2100 at 147mhz. The second machine runs just fine at 133mhz
with 512-pc2100 (Crucial), but overclocking it to 140 mhz eventually
caused it to lock up.

Good Luck

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:45:49 -0500, "RNA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just bought a shuttle ak32vn motherboard and an AMD 2400 processor to
>update for my wife. All installed ok, but the board posts as an AMD 1800+
>cpu. it runs fine like this, but I'd like full power of the CPU.
>
> I changed J2 to 133 fsb and the cpu posts as AMD 2400+, but upon start-up
>of winXP it gets to the wlecome screen and then I hear a "click" and the
>system reboots. I flashed the bios (ak32v006) and still same problem.
>
>The system:
>
>AK32VN 3.1
>AMD 2400
>1 x 512 micron ddr 2700 (tested OK on other system)
>Antec case 350 W
>ATI 9000 pro
>
>I bought this combo because the final price was $69 for both.
>
>Any suggestions on the rebooting problem?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

Dave

Hello all,
Sounds like my scenario except mine won't do anything. No fan coming on, no
beeps, nada
AK32VN v3.1
AMD 2400
1 x 256 Kingston ddr 333MHz PC2700 (NEW, supposedly backwards compatable to
266MHz DDR (PC2100))
Antec case 300watt PS (also tried new Allied 300watt PS) both worked fine
with my Asus P2B
eVGA nVidia 32 MB AGP 4x/2x/1x video card (NEW)

I tried it out of the case on it's static bag (with power switch wiring to
MB)............nada
Does it have to be grounded to the case? I have built other systems before
without this type of problem.

Do you think, in my case, that I need different memory?
For this board Kingston lists 266MHz DDR PC2100 226X64C25
I will try to buy compatible memory tomorrow.

Sounded like a good deal, MB and CPU for under $70, but hmmmmmmm. :-)
thanks in advance,
dave AKA vwdoc1

"RNA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401292ff$0$36155$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought a shuttle ak32vn motherboard and an AMD 2400 processor to
> update for my wife. All installed ok, but the board posts as an AMD 1800+
> cpu. it runs fine like this, but I'd like full power of the CPU.
>
> I changed J2 to 133 fsb and the cpu posts as AMD 2400+, but upon

start-up
> of winXP it gets to the wlecome screen and then I hear a "click" and the
> system reboots. I flashed the bios (ak32v006) and still same problem.
>
> The system:
>
> AK32VN 3.1
> AMD 2400
> 1 x 512 micron ddr 2700 (tested OK on other system)
> Antec case 350 W
> ATI 9000 pro
>
> I bought this combo because the final price was $69 for both.
>
> Any suggestions on the rebooting problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Dave

Well I have solved my problems (yes more than 1) and it finally lives!

I found three problems:
1. I had power sw lead plug in wrong area. I hate "simple" instructions.
<:-)
2. New video card was completely dead or not working on this motherboard.
:-(
3. It needed that specific ram (I went to Office Depot and bought exactly
the correct type).
Kingston lists 266MHz DDR PC2100 226X64C25. Rebate for it too! :-)

I guess even though it says "backwards compatible" it may not be since I
tried the Kingston 333MHz PC2700 and it did not boot back up. I believe
this MB does not like anything higher than PC2100!

Well let me see if this motherboard works well for me. Not bad for being
basically free after rebates. 8^)
Now off to make sure it posts 2400 by changing J2 to 133 fsb.
I enjoy learning tips from others, it makes things easier. <g>

later,
dave

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)_PLEASE> wrote in message
news:Y0%Rb.5666$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello all,
> Sounds like my scenario except mine won't do anything. No fan coming on,

no
> beeps, nada
> AK32VN v3.1
> AMD 2400
> 1 x 256 Kingston ddr 333MHz PC2700 (NEW, supposedly backwards compatable

> 266MHz DDR (PC2100))
> Antec case 300watt PS (also tried new Allied 300watt PS) both worked fine
> with my Asus P2B
> eVGA nVidia 32 MB AGP 4x/2x/1x video card (NEW)

RNA

Glad to hear you solved your problem. I was able to get up to 1.95 Ghz
(132 x 15) and it runs fine. I think the 2700 memory might be an issue even
though it's backward compatible. I did find another quirk at this
setting - the system won't post from a cold start, but if I hit the reset
button afterwards it starts up fine and works great.

One more thing to play with.

The cpu is running cool at about 38 C.

I hope to enjoy this "cheapo" system.

Bob

"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)_PLEASE> wrote in message
news:CTeSb.6053$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Well I have solved my problems (yes more than 1) and it finally lives!
>
> I found three problems:
> 1. I had power sw lead plug in wrong area. I hate "simple" instructions.
> <:-)
> 2. New video card was completely dead or not working on this motherboard.
> :-(
> 3. It needed that specific ram (I went to Office Depot and bought exactly
> the correct type).
> Kingston lists 266MHz DDR PC2100 226X64C25. Rebate for it too! :-)
>
> I guess even though it says "backwards compatible" it may not be since I
> tried the Kingston 333MHz PC2700 and it did not boot back up. I believe
> this MB does not like anything higher than PC2100!
>
> Well let me see if this motherboard works well for me. Not bad for being
> basically free after rebates. 8^)
> Now off to make sure it posts 2400 by changing J2 to 133 fsb.
> I enjoy learning tips from others, it makes things easier. <g>
>
> later,
> dave
>
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)_PLEASE> wrote in message
> news:Y0%Rb.5666$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > Hello all,
> > Sounds like my scenario except mine won't do anything. No fan coming

on,
> no
> > beeps, nada
> > AK32VN v3.1
> > AMD 2400
> > 1 x 256 Kingston ddr 333MHz PC2700 (NEW, supposedly backwards compatable

> > 266MHz DDR (PC2100))
> > Antec case 300watt PS (also tried new Allied 300watt PS) both worked

fine
> > with my Asus P2B
> > eVGA nVidia 32 MB AGP 4x/2x/1x video card (NEW)

Dave

Hi Bob,
I think that is the only reason why I bought it.............CHEAP! lol

I just did not expect soooo many issues trying to get it up and running.
(NEW video card dead, wrong ram, wrong connections by me).
ME <:-), what did you get up to 1.95 GHz (132x15)?
Could it be on a cold start something is too fast for the rest of the
system, but when you reset it the system has caught up.
I don't know what I am saying, but want to learn! lol
I changed the J2 jumper and got the post to say 2400.

I took that new video card back and that PC2700 and got my money back. <g>
I am using one of my old AGP Diamond Stealth III540 with 32 MB video card
and my 2 year old Antec case but I bought a new PS.
Total I will have spent on this computer comes to $183 (mb+cpu+cooler+PS+256
ram+40gWDHD+DVDdrive+floppy) +tax so I did not count the case and video
card. Yeah I call it cheap but hopefully when I play with it more, fast and
reliable!! (fingers crossed)

later,
dave

"RNA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401b3d34$0$12826$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glad to hear you solved your problem. I was able to get up to 1.95 Ghz
> (132 x 15) and it runs fine. I think the 2700 memory might be an issue

even
> though it's backward compatible. I did find another quirk at this
> setting - the system won't post from a cold start, but if I hit the reset
> button afterwards it starts up fine and works great.
>
> One more thing to play with.
>
> The cpu is running cool at about 38 C.
>
> I hope to enjoy this "cheapo" system.
>
> Bob

P. Roach

Hello Guys,

I've been reading your posts and think you may be able to help me too.
I just built a new system similar to yours and it won't even go to
the initial boot up.

Here's what I have, AK32VN motherboard, AMD 2400+ CPU, 9200 Video
Card, 400W case, and 2 - 256MB PC2100 memory. Everything is brand
new. When I turn it on, the box fan goes on, the CD-Rom and Floppy
lights go on, the hard drive starts up (little whirring sound), and
the CPU Fan goes on. then nothing else. No beeps, no nothing.

I've built a number of computers but never had this happen. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Ppat

EGK

On 2 Feb 2004 06:54:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (P. Roach) wrote:

>Hello Guys,
>
>I've been reading your posts and think you may be able to help me too.
> I just built a new system similar to yours and it won't even go to
>the initial boot up.
>
>Here's what I have, AK32VN motherboard, AMD 2400+ CPU, 9200 Video
>Card, 400W case, and 2 - 256MB PC2100 memory. Everything is brand
>new. When I turn it on, the box fan goes on, the CD-Rom and Floppy
>lights go on, the hard drive starts up (little whirring sound), and
>the CPU Fan goes on. then nothing else. No beeps, no nothing.
>
>I've built a number of computers but never had this happen. Any
>suggestions?

Things to try to troubleshoot..

Look in the manual for the clear cmos jumper setting. Remember to have the
machine off when you clear it. Put the jumper back to the normal setting.

Be sure the video card is seated all the way . I had a similar problem with
an ATI 9100 video card. It really took a while and a few tries to set it
seated all the way in the agp slot. I was afraid to press it down too hard
for fear of damaging the motherboard. If yours isn't seated properly, then
you're not getting power to the video card. This is the one that I think
might be your problem. If you have another video card laying around, even
an older pci card, try that.

Disconnect all the drives. If the system works, you should get the monitor
to light up and get to the bios settings.

Take out the memory and try one at a time in different slots.

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes)

P. Roach

EGK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 2 Feb 2004 06:54:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (P. Roach) wrote:
>
> >Hello Guys,
> >
> >I've been reading your posts and think you may be able to help me too.
> > I just built a new system similar to yours and it won't even go to
> >the initial boot up.
> >
> >Here's what I have, AK32VN motherboard, AMD 2400+ CPU, 9200 Video
> >Card, 400W case, and 2 - 256MB PC2100 memory. Everything is brand
> >new. When I turn it on, the box fan goes on, the CD-Rom and Floppy
> >lights go on, the hard drive starts up (little whirring sound), and
> >the CPU Fan goes on. then nothing else. No beeps, no nothing.
> >
> >I've built a number of computers but never had this happen. Any
> >suggestions?

> Things to try to troubleshoot..
>
> Look in the manual for the clear cmos jumper setting. Remember to have the
> machine off when you clear it. Put the jumper back to the normal setting.
>
> Be sure the video card is seated all the way . I had a similar problem with
> an ATI 9100 video card. It really took a while and a few tries to set it
> seated all the way in the agp slot. I was afraid to press it down too hard
> for fear of damaging the motherboard. If yours isn't seated properly, then
> you're not getting power to the video card. This is the one that I think
> might be your problem. If you have another video card laying around, even
> an older pci card, try that.
>
> Disconnect all the drives. If the system works, you should get the monitor
> to light up and get to the bios settings.
>
> Take out the memory and try one at a time in different slots.

> "There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
> didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
> - (Calvin and Hobbes)

Thanks for the advice and I will try this tomorrow. One thing, you
mentioned seating the video card, but his board has a white clip for
the card similar to the white clips used for the memory. Isn't the
card seated once the clip is snapped? Or is it possible for the clip
to snap and yet the card still needs an extra push to fully seat?

EGK

On 2 Feb 2004 17:12:00 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (P. Roach) wrote:

>EGK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 2 Feb 2004 06:54:55 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (P. Roach) wrote:
>>
>> >Hello Guys,
>> >
>> >I've been reading your posts and think you may be able to help me too.
>> > I just built a new system similar to yours and it won't even go to
>> >the initial boot up.
>> >
>> >Here's what I have, AK32VN motherboard, AMD 2400+ CPU, 9200 Video
>> >Card, 400W case, and 2 - 256MB PC2100 memory. Everything is brand
>> >new. When I turn it on, the box fan goes on, the CD-Rom and Floppy
>> >lights go on, the hard drive starts up (little whirring sound), and
>> >the CPU Fan goes on. then nothing else. No beeps, no nothing.
>> >
>> >I've built a number of computers but never had this happen. Any
>> >suggestions?

>> Things to try to troubleshoot..
>>
>> Look in the manual for the clear cmos jumper setting. Remember to have the
>> machine off when you clear it. Put the jumper back to the normal setting.
>>
>> Be sure the video card is seated all the way . I had a similar problem with
>> an ATI 9100 video card. It really took a while and a few tries to set it
>> seated all the way in the agp slot. I was afraid to press it down too hard
>> for fear of damaging the motherboard. If yours isn't seated properly, then
>> you're not getting power to the video card. This is the one that I think
>> might be your problem. If you have another video card laying around, even
>> an older pci card, try that.
>>
>> Disconnect all the drives. If the system works, you should get the monitor
>> to light up and get to the bios settings.
>>
>> Take out the memory and try one at a time in different slots.

>Thanks for the advice and I will try this tomorrow. One thing, you
>mentioned seating the video card, but his board has a white clip for
>the card similar to the white clips used for the memory. Isn't the
>card seated once the clip is snapped? Or is it possible for the clip
>to snap and yet the card still needs an extra push to fully seat?

Huh. You got me. I've never seen a video card slot with a snap like that.
My own board is the AK32l model. I would think if it snaps over a card it
would be in all the way. I was just relating my own experience and it
sounded like yours might be similar.