Shuttle AV49PN motherboard IRQ assignment map...

Krick

I just purchased a Shuttle AV49PN motherboard using the VIA PT800
chipset. I spent a little time getting to know the hardware and the
IRQ sharing situation before I installed Windows on it. I'm passing
this along in hopes that someone else might find it useful.

The board has 8 USB ports.
Each pair of ports requires 1 IRQ for USB 1.1
USB 2.0 requires 1 IRQ for all ports.
So in total 5 IRQs are needed.

This board also has onboard sound, LAN, and serial ata (SATA).
Each requires an IRQ.

Obviously, since the PCI spec only allows for 4 interrupt lines,
everyone has to share.

Through trial and error, I've mapped out the IRQ sharing
on this board...

PCI1 - SHARES WITH: AGP / LAN / USB1.1 / USB1.1
PCI2 - SHARES WITH: SATA / USB1.1 / USB1.1
PCI3 - SHARES WITH: SOUND / USB2.0
PCI4 - DOES NOT SHARE

Even though the PCI spec says that compliant devices have to share
IRQs, not all devices do. And even those that do share, often do so
with serious performance hits. One card in particular that I've
had problems with in the past is the SoundBlaster Audigy. If it
shares with any other device, it often results in static in the
output.

So to minimize conflicts and for best performance,
you'd probably want to put add-in PCI devices into slot 4.

If you disable SATA or onboard sound, slots 2 and 3 (respectively)
will more friendly to PCI cards.

I would avoid using slot 1 unless I really had to.

enjoy!

Krick

new motherboard bad drive letter assignment seasider Gigabyte 0 11-02-2010 11:28 AM
FA: Shuttle XPC Carry Bag, Shuttle XPC SB51G, 2.53ghz 1gb ram, 200gb hdd (UK) cybersoga Shuttle 0 01-17-2005 08:36 AM
AV49PN Boot Sequence Question... Cloaked Shuttle 4 11-10-2004 02:06 PM
shuttle SV24 IRQ problems Ross Shuttle 1 10-07-2004 10:15 PM
ga-8ik1100 - irq-sharinglist & onboard-lan irq James Watt Gigabyte 0 07-21-2003 07:59 PM