Shuttle + Intel Prescott CPU + XP SP2 = Lockup

Rob Chandler

Hi folks

For those of us with Shuttles + Intel Prescott chips its been
an extremely painful time since XP SP2 became available.

Everytime we update the Bios
or Install XP SP2
or Update to a later version of Windows (eg. Windows MCE 2004 +SP2 ->
MCE2005)
the machine just hangs (or reboots) when windows starts up.

Shuttle have released new Bios updates to address the SP2 problem
but it looks like they haven't addressed the problem fully yet. At least
now you can reformat and install SP2 without a hang.

Problem appears related to SP2 + Intel Prescott CPUs. The Shuttles BIOS does
not install a production level microcode update. Should be stepper level 8
or more and
my Shuttle ST61G4 is stepper level 3. To check your stepper level download
the
Intel Processor Frequency ID utility:

http://support.intel.com/support/pro...s/frequencyid/

I've been working through this with my Shuttle ST61G4
Blog: http://wiki.helpware.net/index.php?page=Shuttle

Finally I think we have a fix (from MS)

== 1 ==
About to install XP SP2?
1. Update to the latest BIOS from the Shuttle site
2. Install this MS Critical Update KB885626
3. Update to SP2

== 2 ==
Applied XP SP2 and know can't boot?
1. Rename \windows\system32\drivers\Update.sys to update.sp2 in revery mode
2. Now you can boot up.
3. Rename back to Update.sp2 back to sys
4. Apply critica update KB885626

Full description here

* http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626
* http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

Critical update KB885626 only went up a few days a go.

Feed back is welcome. I'd like to know if people are helped by the new
Update.
(E-Mail Removed)

== Extra Info ==

Rob Chandler

hang and lockup on Shuttle Sk43G system WinXP and Athlon 2000+ lchiu7 Shuttle 1 07-10-2007 12:31 PM
Portege 3505 and SP2 lockup Dan Bailey Tablet PC 4 11-04-2004 08:17 AM
Intel P4 Prescott and XP SP2 not compatible TheRedSunRiseth Asus 15 09-08-2004 08:52 PM
Prescott CPU and SP2 WSZsr Dell 9 09-04-2004 07:13 AM
Re: sp2 modem speed Re: After installation of SP2 Internet SLOW -AND- Re: sp2 modem speed Thomas Swift Sr. Gateway 1 09-02-2004 09:56 AM