SHUTTLE SN45G V3.0. Unreliable

Chris

I am now on my third SN45.
They seem to last for a month or so and then die. No power or attempt to
boot

Have I been unlucky or is this just a poor machine?

Chris

NewMan

If you are on your third mobo, then I would have a close look at your
power supply. If you have a power supply that has improper voltages,
cannot handle the load placed on it, or is sending spikes into your
motherboard, then it could be killing them.

Find a tech and put the P/S on a scope to check for ripple and spikes.
Measure all the voltages under load and make sure they are correct.

Sometimes problems do not show up until the circuits are under load.

A defective or intermittent P/S could also fail to generate a "poer
good" signal. If the mobo deos not detect the power good signal, then
it wont turn on in an attempt to protect the mobo.

These days a P/S, even an excellent one, is pretty inexpensive.

hth, and let us know!

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:50:52 -0000, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am now on my third SN45.
>They seem to last for a month or so and then die. No power or attempt to
>boot
>
>Have I been unlucky or is this just a poor machine?
>
>Chris

joe.choate@gmail.com

My Rev 2 did same thing. Booted up one morning then nothing. Getting it
RMA'd from Australia is hopeless - i've sent it away in Sep '05 and I'm
still waiting.

I've tested with external power supply before shipping it out. Swapped
cpu & ram & video. Dead as.

NewMan wrote:

> If you are on your third mobo, then I would have a close look at your
> power supply. If you have a power supply that has improper voltages,
> cannot handle the load placed on it, or is sending spikes into your
> motherboard, then it could be killing them.
>
> Find a tech and put the P/S on a scope to check for ripple and spikes.
> Measure all the voltages under load and make sure they are correct.
>
> Sometimes problems do not show up until the circuits are under load.
>
> A defective or intermittent P/S could also fail to generate a "poer
> good" signal. If the mobo deos not detect the power good signal, then
> it wont turn on in an attempt to protect the mobo.
>
> These days a P/S, even an excellent one, is pretty inexpensive.
>
> hth, and let us know!
>
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:50:52 -0000, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I am now on my third SN45.
> >They seem to last for a month or so and then die. No power or attempt to
> >boot
> >
> >Have I been unlucky or is this just a poor machine?
> >
> >Chris

Chris

I'm glad that it's not just me.

I like the form factor and the price, but they are way to fiddly to assemble
and ubreliable to be worth it.
Such a shame.

Newman's comments are interesting but I don't have a 'scope handy and I
can't see anywhere selling Shuttle internal power supllies so I can't go
down that road.

I shall wait for a new SN45 and put it on EBay (with a note of my
experiences). Will probably fettch 10 pounds :-))

Thanks

Chris

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My Rev 2 did same thing. Booted up one morning then nothing. Getting it
> RMA'd from Australia is hopeless - i've sent it away in Sep '05 and I'm
> still waiting.
>
> I've tested with external power supply before shipping it out. Swapped
> cpu & ram & video. Dead as.
>

> NewMan wrote:
>
>> If you are on your third mobo, then I would have a close look at your
>> power supply. If you have a power supply that has improper voltages,
>> cannot handle the load placed on it, or is sending spikes into your
>> motherboard, then it could be killing them.
>>
>> Find a tech and put the P/S on a scope to check for ripple and spikes.
>> Measure all the voltages under load and make sure they are correct.
>>
>> Sometimes problems do not show up until the circuits are under load.
>>
>> A defective or intermittent P/S could also fail to generate a "poer
>> good" signal. If the mobo deos not detect the power good signal, then
>> it wont turn on in an attempt to protect the mobo.
>>
>> These days a P/S, even an excellent one, is pretty inexpensive.
>>
>> hth, and let us know!
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:50:52 -0000, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am now on my third SN45.
>> >They seem to last for a month or so and then die. No power or attempt
>> >boot
>> >
>> >Have I been unlucky or is this just a poor machine?
>> >
>> >Chris

Eric Parker

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm glad that it's not just me.
>
> I like the form factor and the price, but they are way to fiddly to

assemble
> and ubreliable to be worth it.
> Such a shame.
>
> Newman's comments are interesting but I don't have a 'scope handy

and I
> can't see anywhere selling Shuttle internal power supllies so I

can't go
> down that road.

Chris

You are in the UK, right ?
Both these people sell replacement Shuttle PSUs.
I'm not recommending either particularly.
I put one in an SN41G2 recently from MD.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...5265&GroupID=9

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...Page=2&SortBy=

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Chris

Thanks for the URLs.

I'll give them a go

regards,

Chris

"Eric Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43e9af27$0$1451$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm glad that it's not just me.
>>
>> I like the form factor and the price, but they are way to fiddly to

> assemble
>> and ubreliable to be worth it.
>> Such a shame.
>>
>> Newman's comments are interesting but I don't have a 'scope handy

> and I
>> can't see anywhere selling Shuttle internal power supllies so I

> can't go
>> down that road.
>>

> Chris
>
> You are in the UK, right ?
> Both these people sell replacement Shuttle PSUs.
> I'm not recommending either particularly.
> I put one in an SN41G2 recently from MD.
>
> http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...5265&GroupID=9
>
> http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.a...Page=2&SortBy=
>
> Eric
>
> --
> Remove the dross to contact me directly

Dan

> Newman's comments are interesting but I don't have a 'scope handy and I
> can't see anywhere selling Shuttle internal power supllies

Try http://www.aria.co.uk

I just got their 250W model.

dan