Simple Hard Drive Test Program?

Fred Marshall

I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives - either
using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do as
well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem to
want to do that.

Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?

Thanks,

Fred

Bob Willard

Fred Marshall wrote:

>I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives - either
>using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do as
>well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
>having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem to
>want to do that.
>
>Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Fred

Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.

--
Cheers, Bob

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Fred Marshall wrote:
>
>>I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives - either
>>using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do as
>>well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
>>having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem to
>>want to do that.
>>
>>Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Fred
>>

>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.

Does chkdsk with the ErrorChecking option do anything that prior versions
of didn't do?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Fred Marshall wrote:
>
>>I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives - either
>>using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do as
>>well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
>>having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem to
>>want to do that.
>>
>>Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Fred
>>

>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.

This won't work if on the C drive without a reboot, or on other disk
if there are any files open. Basically, you can't do real testing on a
disk that's being used by Windows.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Fred Marshall

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dtsi03$dtq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Fred Marshall wrote:
>>
>>>I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives -
>>>either
>>>using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do
>>>as
>>>well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
>>>having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem
>>>want to do that.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Fred
>>>

>>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.

> This won't work if on the C drive without a reboot, or on other disk
> if there are any files open. Basically, you can't do real testing on a
> disk that's being used by Windows.

What about S.M.A.R.T. status checking? I think that would be good enough -
even best - for my purposes. CHKDSK doesn't do SMART does it?

I already ran CHKDSK when I was on site and found lots of errors that were
"corrected". I'm now concerned that there's a reason for so many errors and
want to do another kind of check (SMART).

I've used HDDLife and it's OK. What I want now is to just run a quick SMART
check without having to install a program.
Normally I'd use a boot disk and the IBM/Hitachi program.
But, getting a boot disk into the hands of a customer and telling them how
to make the boot happen via CMOS boot sequence settings, etc. etc. is more
than some can handle. Thus the quest for something direct and simple.

Thanks,

Fred

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Fred Marshall <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote:

>"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dtsi03$dtq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>>>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>>>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.

>> This won't work if on the C drive without a reboot, or on other disk
>> if there are any files open. Basically, you can't do real testing on a
>> disk that's being used by Windows.

>What about S.M.A.R.T. status checking? I think that would be good enough -
>even best - for my purposes. CHKDSK doesn't do SMART does it?
>
>I already ran CHKDSK when I was on site and found lots of errors that were
>"corrected". I'm now concerned that there's a reason for so many errors and
>want to do another kind of check (SMART).
>
>I've used HDDLife and it's OK. What I want now is to just run a quick SMART
>check without having to install a program.
>Normally I'd use a boot disk and the IBM/Hitachi program.
>But, getting a boot disk into the hands of a customer and telling them how
>to make the boot happen via CMOS boot sequence settings, etc. etc. is more
>than some can handle. Thus the quest for something direct and simple.

You can also look in Event Viewer. Recoverable disk errors will put
events in the log. AFAIK, there is no wat to make an event logged
error also cause a pop-up on my screen.

I've played with smart on systems with a total of a couple dozen IDE
and SATA disks and had two disks fail without a peep from the smart
software.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Fred Marshall

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dtt66m$8h3$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've played with smart on systems with a total of a couple dozen IDE
> and SATA disks and had two disks fail without a peep from the smart
> software.

Yes, I believe that.
On the other hand, I've had SMART monitoring running consistently and have
found failing drives before they failed completely. I was able to clone
them easily.
So, while SMART monitoring isn't a guarantee over a sudden catastrophic
failure, it's very useful for finding any manner of gradual degradations
that will likely lead to a catastrophic failure in time.
So, SMART monitoring can be very useful even if not perfect protection.

Fred

Bob Willard

Al Dykes wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Fred Marshall wrote:
>>

>>>I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives - either
>>>using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do as
>>>well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
>>>having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem to
>>>want to do that.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Fred
>>>

>>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.
>>

>Does chkdsk with the ErrorChecking option do anything that prior versions
>of didn't do?

I don't know.

--
Cheers, Bob

Bob Willard

Al Dykes wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Fred Marshall wrote:
>>

>>>I usually use the IBM/Hitachi program to test working hard drives - either
>>>using a boot floppy or, more often now, a boot CD. What I'd like to do as
>>>well is run a simple program that will do the same from Windows without
>>>having to install a new app. The usual IBM/Hitachi program doesn't seem to
>>>want to do that.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions for a program that's simple to run under Windows?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Fred
>>>

>>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.
>>

>This won't work if on the C drive without a reboot, or on other disk
>if there are any files open. Basically, you can't do real testing on a
>disk that's being used by Windows.

Right. But rebooting is pretty simple, and using chkdsk with a reboot does
not require any software other than the stuff that comes with XP.

--
Cheers, Bob

Bob Willard

Fred Marshall wrote:

>"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dtsi03$dtq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Bob Willard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Assuming you have Win XP, run chkdsk. From explorer, select the drive
>>>(or partition) of interest, right-click on it, then click on Properties,
>>>then on Tools, then on ErrorChecking, then on CheckNow.
>>>

>>This won't work if on the C drive without a reboot, or on other disk
>>if there are any files open. Basically, you can't do real testing on a
>>disk that's being used by Windows.
>>

>What about S.M.A.R.T. status checking? I think that would be good enough -
>even best - for my purposes. CHKDSK doesn't do SMART does it?
>
>I already ran CHKDSK when I was on site and found lots of errors that were
>"corrected". I'm now concerned that there's a reason for so many errors and
>want to do another kind of check (SMART).
>
>I've used HDDLife and it's OK. What I want now is to just run a quick SMART
>check without having to install a program.
>Normally I'd use a boot disk and the IBM/Hitachi program.
>But, getting a boot disk into the hands of a customer and telling them how
>to make the boot happen via CMOS boot sequence settings, etc. etc. is more
>than some can handle. Thus the quest for something direct and simple.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Fred

Checking SMART status does not read from the HD's platters at all - it just
copies some params which are saved (in the HD's NVRAM AFAIK) into the
PC's RAM.

--
Cheers, Bob