lafill

When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
a key again it wakes and stays awake. This annoying behavior started a
few days ago. Any suggestions? Thanks.
--
lafill

JF Mezei

lafill wrote:
> When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
> computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
> a key again it wakes and stays awake.

Disable the snooze button !!!!

:-) :-)

(sorry, I don't have an asnwer, but couldn't resist this one)

dorayme

In article <jrdk0o$gv5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
lafill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
> computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
> a key again it wakes and stays awake. This annoying behavior started a
> few days ago. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What happens when you press the space bar twice in reasonably quick
succession? How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
Preferences?

--
dorayme

lafill

On 6/14/12 2:47 PM, JF Mezei wrote:
> lafill wrote:
>> When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
>> computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
>> a key again it wakes and stays awake.

> Disable the snooze button !!!!
>
> :-) :-)
>

> (sorry, I don't have an asnwer, but couldn't resist this one)

But I snooze!

Tom Stiller

In article <4fda5bdc$0$4137$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> lafill wrote:
> > When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
> > computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
> > a key again it wakes and stays awake.

> Disable the snooze button !!!!
>
> :-) :-)
>

> (sorry, I don't have an asnwer, but couldn't resist this one)

Try harder.

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

lafill

On 6/14/12 4:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
> In article<jrdk0o$gv5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> lafill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> When I wake my iMac OSX 10.5.8 from sleep by pressing any key the
>> computer wakes for a moment then goes back to sleep again. When I press
>> a key again it wakes and stays awake. This annoying behavior started a
>> few days ago. Any suggestions? Thanks.

> What happens when you press the space bar twice in reasonably quick
> succession?

The same behavior.
How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
> Preferences?

Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.

dorayme

In article <jre9ad$432$(E-Mail Removed)>,
lafill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 6/14/12 4:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
> > In article<jrdk0o$gv5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > lafill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
> > Preferences?

> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.

My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.

Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
saving - to see if the behaviour continues?

--
dorayme

lafill

On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:
> In article<jre9ad$432$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> lafill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 6/14/12 4:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
>>> In article<jrdk0o$gv5$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> lafill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> How are your Energy Saver preferences set in System
>>> Preferences?

>> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.
>>

> My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
> finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
> Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.
>
> Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
> saving - to see if the behaviour continues?

I do have other choices. When to put the display to sleep, when to put
the computer to sleep and whether to put the hard drive to sleep if
possible. The default is display and computer both sleep at 10 minutes.
I changed it to display at 10 minutes, computer at 13 minutes, and not
to put the hard drive to sleep. I'll test it later and let you know the
result. What are your settings?

lafill

On 6/15/12 10:12 AM, lafill wrote:
> On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:
>> In article<jre9ad$432$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> lafill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.
>>>

>> My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
>> finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
>> Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.
>>
>> Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
>> saving - to see if the behaviour continues?
>>

> I do have other choices. When to put the display to sleep, when to put
> the computer to sleep and whether to put the hard drive to sleep if
> possible. The default is display and computer both sleep at 10 minutes.
> I changed it to display at 10 minutes, computer at 13 minutes, and not
> to put the hard drive to sleep. I'll test it later and let you know the
> result. What are your settings?

So far it's working with the new settings. Hope it lasts. Thanks.

dorayme

In article <jrfqdn$gbu$(E-Mail Removed)>,
lafill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 6/15/12 12:57 AM, dorayme wrote:
> > In article<jre9ad$432$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > lafill<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Set at default: puts to sleep after 10min inactivity.
> >>

> > My Energy Saver prefs are richer in parameters and makes possible
> > finer distinctions, which may be of assistance in troubleshooting.
> > Mine has boxes to tick and a couple of sliders.
> >
> > Anyway, have you tried altering whatever parameters you have - and
> > saving - to see if the behaviour continues?
> >

> I do have other choices. When to put the display to sleep, when to put
> the computer to sleep and whether to put the hard drive to sleep if
> possible. The default is display and computer both sleep at 10 minutes.
> I changed it to display at 10 minutes, computer at 13 minutes, and not
> to put the hard drive to sleep. I'll test it later and let you know the
> result. What are your settings?

Those whom I have told this very personal and secret information are
mostly ... let's say... not with us any more, but I will make an
exception for you:

Sliders:

Computer sleep: 15 min

Display sleep: 5 min

Tick boxes:

Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible: ticked

Wake for network activity: unticked

Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep: ticked

The slider is visually inaccurate on my setup, it's halfway between 1
min and 15 min for 5 min! So watch for this poor bit of
implementation, look at the popup text that changes at the far right
when you hold the mouse button down on the slider nob.

There are some other hidden implementations which are not just poor
but a bit cheeky and in some cases diabolical. For example, if you put
the slider on one position on my machine, the text reads:

"I got out of this truck in this 2-bit
town, I got no money and no prospects. What I
need right now is a stiff drink, a cold
shower and a hot broad. I'll take them in any
order they come. O yeah, one other thing I
need - an angle. I was thinking, if it wasn't
for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at
all.

"Either my luck had changed or fate just
bought me another round of trouble. She kept
yammering the whole time. But her hips were
doing the talking. It couldn't have been any
clearer what the setup was. The next move was
up to me"

STOP! HOLD IT! TIMES UP!"

The more diabolical one is like this: at just one very particular
position, if you have a cat, a small fire breaks out on its tail and
you cannot help but panic and catch the animal and put it out. The
really curious thing is that the fire never gets bigger or smaller if
left alone and and never seems to bother the cat and never seems to
set anything else on fire.

Those Apple Mac coders!

The other thing to watch for, it defies easy understanding: if you log
out and back in, things can happen to these settings, especially the
tick boxes so keep this in mind and take a peek at your settings every
now and then.

--
dorayme