[slightly OT] network switches

Thomas Maier-Komor

Hi,

I know this is a little bit off topic here, but I don't a better list
for this topic - feel free to redirect me to another list...

I'm running a DLink 1005D (don't know the exact model name) network
switch at home, which runs pretty well with my Suns, but makes problems
with my laptop. The laptop (Access Connections software) initializes the
LAN port correctly and then the port runs fine for a couple of minutes.
At some point the connection is lost, but the software doesn't say so,
neither does the switch. If I replug the cable the network works again
for a couple of minutes (verified with ping). I'm only guessing, but I
suppose that it might have to do with some power management stuff.
Anyway, I'm unable to figure out a setup that just works.

So my questions are:
1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

- Thomas

Rich Teer

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

> 1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
> 2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
stuff.

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory

URLs: http://www.rite-group.com/rich
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richteer
http://www.myonlinehomeinventory.com

Huge

On 2008-07-01, Rich Teer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>
>> 1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
>> 2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

> I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
> stuff.

*grin*

After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my wireless access
point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have every intention
of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.

Ditto Belkin, BTW.

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org <dot> uk]

Thomas Maier-Komor

Huge schrieb:
> On 2008-07-01, Rich Teer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>>
>>> 1) has anybody made similar experiences with this DLink switch?
>>> 2) what kind of cheap switch is known to simply work?

>> I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
>> stuff.

> *grin*
>
> After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my wireless access
> point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have every intention
> of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.
>
> Ditto Belkin, BTW.

hmm, so the obvious option would be to buy something more reliable. But
spending the premium for a managed switch is no option for my purposes...

So, any opinions on 3com's 3CGSU05 or 3C1670500B, Asus GigaX 1105N/V2, ...

Any recommendations?

TIA,
Thomas

Christopher Noyes

Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
> Huge schrieb:

>>> I detest DLink's stuff, but have had great success with Linksys'
>>> stuff.

>> *grin*
>>
>> After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my
>> wireless access
>> point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have every
>> intention
>> of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.
>>
>> Ditto Belkin, BTW.
>>

> hmm, so the obvious option would be to buy something more reliable. But
> spending the premium for a managed switch is no option for my purposes...
>
> So, any opinions on 3com's 3CGSU05 or 3C1670500B, Asus GigaX 1105N/V2, ...
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> Thomas

Hello,

How about netgear 8port managed gig switch?

For a little more money there is also the HP J9029A ProCurve 8port gig
switch

Newegg has quite a few listed.

I've had bad times with 3com *alot of hardware failures when we used
them with some E10K's a number of years ago. Never heard of Asus making
network gear (I thought they just made system boards for PC's?)

My personal preference is for Cisco gear but even on ebay cisco gig
switches are kinda pricey.

-CN

Thomas Maier-Komor

Christopher Noyes schrieb:
> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>> Huge schrieb:

>>> *grin*
>>>
>>> After my experience with the LinkSys installtion software for my
>>> wireless access
>>> point and the attitude of their premium rate "help desk", I have
>>> every intention
>>> of never spending a single penny on their stuff ever again.
>>>
>>> Ditto Belkin, BTW.
>>>

>> hmm, so the obvious option would be to buy something more reliable.
>> But spending the premium for a managed switch is no option for my
>> purposes...
>>
>> So, any opinions on 3com's 3CGSU05 or 3C1670500B, Asus GigaX 1105N/V2,
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Thomas

> Hello,
>
> How about netgear 8port managed gig switch?
>
> For a little more money there is also the HP J9029A ProCurve 8port gig
> switch
>
> Newegg has quite a few listed.
>
> I've had bad times with 3com *alot of hardware failures when we used
> them with some E10K's a number of years ago. Never heard of Asus making
> network gear (I thought they just made system boards for PC's?)
>
> My personal preference is for Cisco gear but even on ebay cisco gig
> switches are kinda pricey.
>

> -CN

thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth the
investment.

Cheers,
Thomas

ChrisQ

Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

> thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth
> the investment.
>
> Cheers, Thomas

Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
to a faulty cable.

I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...

Regards,

Chris

Thomas Maier-Komor

ChrisQ wrote:
> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>

>> thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth
>> the investment.
>>
>> Cheers, Thomas

> Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
> tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
> all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
> switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
> it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
> software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
> same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
> say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
> to a faulty cable.
>
> I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
> similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
> early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
> completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
> the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
> 5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
> domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

The 'switch' is a gigabit DLink DGS-1005D. I've tried different a
different cable and a different port, and tried to disable all
power-management settings. Always the same behavior - the network
connection is just silently dropped - i.e. no more transfer, and a ping
to a neighbor machine times out. Replugging the cable, the ping which is
still running, is successfully at once. Additionally, using my AVM
FritzBox as a hub works without any issue.

Today the laptop dropped the connection just once, right after plugging
it in. After unplugging and replugging the cable the network was
instantly up and running, and it seems like it hasn't dropped since then.

I am going to try a little bit more. It's not that important, it's just
a hassle and I really hate it if something doesn't work. But I'm not the
guy that is willing to just throw money at a problem and hope that this
will solve the issue. But thanks anyway for the hint!

I'm really clueless with this issue.

Cheers,
Thomas

AGT

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:17:08 +0200, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:

> ChrisQ wrote:
>> Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>>> thanks for the tip - the managed switch from Netgear might be worth
>>> the investment.
>>>

>> Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
>> tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
>> all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
>> switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
>> it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
>> software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
>> same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
>> say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
>> to a faulty cable.
>>
>> I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
>> similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
>> early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
>> completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
>> the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
>> 5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
>> domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...

> The 'switch' is a gigabit DLink DGS-1005D. I've tried different a
> different cable and a different port, and tried to disable all
> power-management settings. Always the same behavior - the network
> connection is just silently dropped - i.e. no more transfer, and a ping
> to a neighbor machine times out. Replugging the cable, the ping which is
> still running, is successfully at once. Additionally, using my AVM
> FritzBox as a hub works without any issue.
>
> Today the laptop dropped the connection just once, right after plugging
> it in. After unplugging and replugging the cable the network was
> instantly up and running, and it seems like it hasn't dropped since then.
> I am going to try a little bit more. It's not that important, it's just
> a hassle and I really hate it if something doesn't work. But I'm not the
> guy that is willing to just throw money at a problem and hope that this
> will solve the issue. But thanks anyway for the hint!
> I'm really clueless with this issue.

Im using both 100 and 1000 mb/s DLinks (3) and they all work fine
The cheapest ones I could find too
Theyre better than some 6 figure Cisco switches Ive encountered : <
Note your FritzBox hub works so plug the laptop in it and
daisy chain the hub to one of switches : >

Thomas Maier-Komor

AGT schrieb:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 02:17:08 +0200, Thomas Maier-Komor wrote:
>
>> ChrisQ wrote:
>>>>
>>> Before you go out and blow loads of cash on any more hardware, have you
>>> tried turning off *all* power management on the pc, or reinstalled
>>> all the network components ?. You could also try a different port on the
>>> switch (By "switch", I guess you mean a simple dual speed hub ?). IME,
>>> it's very unlikely that the switch is to blame, more likely to be a
>>> software or some other os related problem. Have you another or the
>>> same pc you can test on the switch with a different os ?. You don't
>>> say what os or what apps or tasks you are running. It could even be down
>>> to a faulty cable.
>>>
>>> I've used a variety of network kit, most of it s/user from Ebay or
>>> similar and have never had any trouble with any of it, other than an
>>> early 10mbit 4 port model that just overheated one summer and died
>>> completely. A 3Com superstack 2 500 24 port has been running here in
>>> the lab for the last 3 years or so 24/7 with never a glitch and cost
>>> 5.00 ukp on Ebay. Always choose enterprise quality kit over the
>>> domestic, even s/hand and you won't go far wrong...

>> The 'switch' is a gigabit DLink DGS-1005D. I've tried different a
>> different cable and a different port, and tried to disable all
>> power-management settings. Always the same behavior - the network
>> connection is just silently dropped - i.e. no more transfer, and a ping
>> to a neighbor machine times out. Replugging the cable, the ping which is
>> still running, is successfully at once. Additionally, using my AVM
>> FritzBox as a hub works without any issue.
>>
>> Today the laptop dropped the connection just once, right after plugging
>> it in. After unplugging and replugging the cable the network was
>> instantly up and running, and it seems like it hasn't dropped since then.
>> I am going to try a little bit more. It's not that important, it's just
>> a hassle and I really hate it if something doesn't work. But I'm not the
>> guy that is willing to just throw money at a problem and hope that this
>> will solve the issue. But thanks anyway for the hint!
>> I'm really clueless with this issue.

> Im using both 100 and 1000 mb/s DLinks (3) and they all work fine
> The cheapest ones I could find too
> Theyre better than some 6 figure Cisco switches Ive encountered : <
> Note your FritzBox hub works so plug the laptop in it and
> daisy chain the hub to one of switches : >

The FritzBox is attached to the DLink device anyway, because it is my
router. But the FritzBox only has 100Mb/s ports, and I really would
prefer a 1Gb/s connection for my laptop...

Qualifying (quantifying!) network switches Don Y Embedded 2 09-28-2011 08:14 PM
HELP: P5P800 suddenly switches OFF by itself :(( \ Razzo\ Asus 15 02-21-2007 02:42 PM
A7V600 Switches off Kenny Asus 3 02-08-2004 10:20 PM
8X AGP setting switches itself off daniel Asus 2 01-07-2004 09:50 PM
Re: P4P800 and Antec case LED/switches connectors: Manny Asus 0 06-23-2003 06:02 AM