Slipstream RAID drivers for DP35DP mb WinXP install?

Ken

This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in order
to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can "slipstream"
the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the process confusing.
Is there somewhere I can purchase or download an image of a WinXP SP2 cd
with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a registered copy of WinXP with
install code) Or is there a "Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere
online????

Or is there another option?

Thanks
Ken K

Ken

Shawn said the following on 4/19/2008 4:01 PM:
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ESpOj.7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in order to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can
>> "slipstream" the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the process confusing. Is there somewhere I can purchase or download
>> an image of a WinXP SP2 cd with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a registered copy of WinXP with install code) Or is there a
>> "Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere online????
>>
>> Or is there another option?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken K

> If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the flash drive, enable it
> in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.

All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet
what is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.

Frank Pajerski

I built a new computer last Fall with an Intel DP35DP MB, installing
WinXP-SP2 (retail) via an IDE ODD onto a SATA HDD. RAID/AHCI was specified
in the BIOS.

I needed to load the necessary drivers at WinXP F6 install time. A USB
flash drive was not recognized (but is for a Vista install) but a USB FDD
was recognized during the base WinXp install ... but only if it is a
supported model, see KB916196 for details. I bought a supported IBM (TEAC)
USB FDD cheaply and quickly via eBay.

Past the F6 point in installing the base WinXP, a BSOD a few minutes later
in the "WinXP Setup" process consistantly stopped me. The BSOD was resolved
by then using a customized WinXP installation
CD with SP2 slipstreamed in. "nLite" http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
easily and correctly produced this CD for an inexperienced me.

Lately, I see "AutoStreamer" also being mentioned as a good easy way to
build a WinXP-SP2 installation CD.
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...ostreamer.html

The system booted fine, all maintenance past SP2 was applied, BIOS and
drivers were made current, and the IDE ODD was replaced with a SATA ODD.
Everything still runs fine now.

--- Frank

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gkxOj.1685$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shawn said the following on 4/19/2008 4:01 PM:
>> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ESpOj.7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in order
>>> to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can "slipstream"
>>> the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the process confusing.
>>> Is there somewhere I can purchase or download an image of a WinXP SP2 cd
>>> with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a registered copy of WinXP with
>>> install code) Or is there a "Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere
>>> online????
>>>
>>> Or is there another option?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ken K

>> If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the flash
>> drive, enable it
>> in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.
>>

> All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet what
> is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.

Ken

Frank Pajerski said the following on 4/19/2008 7:27 PM:
> I built a new computer last Fall with an Intel DP35DP MB, installing
> WinXP-SP2 (retail) via an IDE ODD onto a SATA HDD. RAID/AHCI was
> specified in the BIOS.
>
> I needed to load the necessary drivers at WinXP F6 install time. A USB
> flash drive was not recognized (but is for a Vista install) but a USB
> FDD was recognized during the base WinXp install ... but only if it is a
> supported model, see KB916196 for details. I bought a supported IBM
> (TEAC) USB FDD cheaply and quickly via eBay.
>
> Past the F6 point in installing the base WinXP, a BSOD a few minutes
> later in the "WinXP Setup" process consistantly stopped me. The BSOD
> was resolved by then using a customized WinXP installation
> CD with SP2 slipstreamed in. "nLite" http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
> easily and correctly produced this CD for an inexperienced me.
>
> Lately, I see "AutoStreamer" also being mentioned as a good easy way to
> build a WinXP-SP2 installation CD.
> http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...ostreamer.html
>

> The system booted fine, all maintenance past SP2 was applied, BIOS and
> drivers were made current, and the IDE ODD was replaced with a SATA ODD.
> Everything still runs fine now.
>
> --- Frank
>
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gkxOj.1685$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Shawn said the following on 4/19/2008 4:01 PM:
>>> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:ESpOj.7$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the
>>> flash drive, enable it
>>> in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.
>>>

>> All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet
>> what is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.

Frank,

Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I am not planning on a RAID
array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
the slipstreaming issue. Another workaround would be to do an install
on an IDE drive then clone the drive on a SATA drive after the RAID/SATA
drives have been installed, although that would be a little time-consuming.

Thanks for the reference to the Windows knowledge base article and to
nLite. I have this coming week off and will play around trying to
create a slipstreamed install disk.

Ken K

George Orwell

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:37:05 -0700, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am not planning on a RAID
>array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
>installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
>whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
>there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
>settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
>recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
>the slipstreaming issue.

You only need SATA drivers from the floppy if you enable AHCI (Advanced
Host Controller Interface) in the BIOS under Configure SATA as. The SATA
drive needs to support NCQ (Native Command Queuing). If AHCI is enabled in
the BIOS and you don't install drivers via F6 and floppy, XP won't see the
SATA drive. Also, if you enable AHCI after you've installed XP with SATA
configured as IDE, your system won't boot.

My advice is to stay away from this feature and configure SATA in the BIOS
as IDE. When you do this you don't need any drivers from the floppy,
Windows XP has it all. Just be sure to use an XP CD that has SP2 present.
Otherwise you will get a BSOD during the install and you'll have to start
all over.

https://www.mixmaster.it

Ken

George Orwell said the following on 4/20/2008 11:38 AM:
> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:37:05 -0700, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am not planning on a RAID
>> array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
>> installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
>> whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
>> there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
>> settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
>> recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
>> the slipstreaming issue.

> You only need SATA drivers from the floppy if you enable AHCI (Advanced
> Host Controller Interface) in the BIOS under Configure SATA as. The SATA
> drive needs to support NCQ (Native Command Queuing). If AHCI is enabled in
> the BIOS and you don't install drivers via F6 and floppy, XP won't see the
> SATA drive. Also, if you enable AHCI after you've installed XP with SATA
> configured as IDE, your system won't boot.
>
> My advice is to stay away from this feature and configure SATA in the BIOS
> as IDE. When you do this you don't need any drivers from the floppy,
> Windows XP has it all. Just be sure to use an XP CD that has SP2 present.
> Otherwise you will get a BSOD during the install and you'll have to start
> all over.
>
> Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this
> non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real
> reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an
> di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
> Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
> https://www.mixmaster.it

My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go to
Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose IDE, as
opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward

That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS.
Should I just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues
that I should change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS
upgrade or should I wait to see if there is any problem that develops?
Looks like it is a relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from within
Windows. (My present board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed by
booting with a floppy).

Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.

Ken K

Frank Pajerski

I think that I just used the BIOS settings as they were, and with SATA/AHCI
specified (thinking that this gives me the best performance and covers RAID
usage if/when I want it). I'm new to all this, and so only made a few
changes when required or until I finally understood the matter. Last fall,
my DP35DP was delivered with a real early BIOS (0216, May2007). That very
early level worked OK. Now, under WinXP, the BIOS upgrade is merely
executing the downloaded file and watching things run for two minutes ...
piece of cake.

But to tell you about another DP35DP problem that may not be unique to me
I first installed Vista, no problem doing so, and ran it for a week before
giving up on it ... it was just too annoying to be tolerated.
I then installed WinXP-SP2 to another HDD as previously described. Now, the
"audio" controller is not seen and thus the audio-drive install failed. I
emailed back and forth with Intel for a week with such frustration and no
progress that I was then happy to bypass/fix this problem by spending $30
for an audio card.

--- Frank

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hENOj.2224$(E-Mail Removed)...
> George Orwell said the following on 4/20/2008 11:38 AM:
>> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:37:05 -0700, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am not planning on a RAID array for installation of WinXP. I am just
>>> interested in a WinXP installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the
>>> case, my question is whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers
>>> on a floppy (are there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)?
>>> If so, what settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA
>>> drive to be recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able
>>> to forgo the slipstreaming issue.

>> You only need SATA drivers from the floppy if you enable AHCI (Advanced
>> Host Controller Interface) in the BIOS under Configure SATA as. The SATA
>> drive needs to support NCQ (Native Command Queuing). If AHCI is enabled
>> in
>> the BIOS and you don't install drivers via F6 and floppy, XP won't see
>> the
>> SATA drive. Also, if you enable AHCI after you've installed XP with SATA
>> configured as IDE, your system won't boot.
>>
>> My advice is to stay away from this feature and configure SATA in the
>> BIOS
>> as IDE. When you do this you don't need any drivers from the floppy,
>> Windows XP has it all. Just be sure to use an XP CD that has SP2
>> present.
>> Otherwise you will get a BSOD during the install and you'll have to start
>> all over.
>>
>> Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this
>> non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real
>> reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an
>> di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
>> Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
>> https://www.mixmaster.it

> My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go to
> Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose IDE, as
> opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward
>
> That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS. Should I
> just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues that I should
> change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS upgrade or should I
> wait to see if there is any problem that develops? Looks like it is a
> relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from within Windows. (My present
> board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed by booting with a floppy).
>
> Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.
>
> Ken K

Ken

Frank Pajerski said the following on 4/20/2008 2:21 PM:
> [...]
>>> di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
>>> Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
>>> https://www.mixmaster.it

>> My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go
>> to Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose
>> IDE, as opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward
>>
>> That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS.
>> Should I just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues
>> that I should change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS
>> upgrade or should I wait to see if there is any problem that develops?
>> Looks like it is a relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from
>> within Windows. (My present board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed
>> by booting with a floppy).
>>
>> Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.

Thanks for the heads-up, Frank. As I see it, I can choose SATA as IDE
for my initial install and then I should be able to install the RAID
drivers any time I wish.

The audio issue is one I had not heard about. We will see how that goes.
It would not be an issue to purchase an audio card. I don't know what
I would do with the extra PCI and PCI Express slots anyway.

Ken

Frank Pajerski

Just keep things simple, don't do more than you have to.

But I would think that building a WinXP-SP2 installation CVD via nLite or
AutoStreamer would be worth the easy trouble. And if your HDD is larger
than a certain size (I don't have these numbers on hand), it may be
necessary so that the full capacity of the HDD is seen. I'm sure someone
can expand on this.

--- Frank

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newshPOj.45$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Frank Pajerski said the following on 4/20/2008 2:21 PM:
>> I think that I just used the BIOS settings as they were, and with
>> SATA/AHCI specified (thinking that this gives me the best performance and
>> covers RAID usage if/when I want it). I'm new to all this, and so only
>> made a few changes when required or until I finally understood the
>> matter. Last fall, my DP35DP was delivered with a real early BIOS (0216,
>> May2007). That very early level worked OK. Now, under WinXP, the BIOS
>> upgrade is merely executing the downloaded file and watching things run
>> for two minutes ... piece of cake.
>>
>> But to tell you about another DP35DP problem that may not be unique to me
>> I first installed Vista, no problem doing so, and ran it for a week
>> before giving up on it ... it was just too annoying to be tolerated.
>> I then installed WinXP-SP2 to another HDD as previously described. Now,
>> the "audio" controller is not seen and thus the audio-drive install
>> failed. I emailed back and forth with Intel for a week with such
>> frustration and no progress that I was then happy to bypass/fix this
>> problem by spending $30 for an audio card.
>>
>> --- Frank
>>

>> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hENOj.2224$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go to
>>> Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose IDE, as
>>> opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward
>>>
>>> That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS. Should
>>> I just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues that I
>>> should change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS upgrade or
>>> should I wait to see if there is any problem that develops? Looks like
>>> it is a relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from within Windows.
>>> (My present board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed by booting with a
>>> floppy).
>>>
>>> Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.
>>>
>>> Ken K

> Thanks for the heads-up, Frank. As I see it, I can choose SATA as IDE for
> my initial install and then I should be able to install the RAID drivers
> any time I wish.
>
> The audio issue is one I had not heard about. We will see how that goes.
> It would not be an issue to purchase an audio card. I don't know what I
> would do with the extra PCI and PCI Express slots anyway.
>
> Ken

George Orwell

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:17:07 -0700, Ken <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The audio issue is one I had not heard about. We will see how that goes.
>It would not be an issue to purchase an audio card. I don't know what
>I would do with the extra PCI and PCI Express slots anyway.

I've installed two of these motherboards and haven't had a problem with the
on-board audio or any other feature. One critical thing to install as soon
as you've completed installation of XP and everything is all settled down
is the chipset INF utility. The version on the DP35DP download page is
8.4.0.1016 8/29/2007.

After you run the inf utility a lot of problems that may exist including
unrecognized hardware will resolve. Then you proceed with installing
drivers for audio, LAN, and video. There are new intel drivers for audio
and LAN on the intel download page so it may be a good idea to get them
prior to starting your project.

https://www.mixmaster.it

Slipstream drivers into Tablet PC Edition 2005 T. Burt Tablet PC 2 06-03-2006 04:14 AM
K8V SE delux, SATA and Slipstream CD Rod at Orpheusmail Asus 4 02-26-2006 03:09 PM
SlipStream ATI's Drivers Lau ATI 0 07-22-2005 08:34 AM
slipstream CD A Supporter Dell 5 03-23-2005 06:38 PM
d865perl + home/sp2 slipstream wont install on 200gb disk Beemer Biker Intel 6 02-26-2005 12:41 AM