Slow boot up in WIN XP

cee

Hello,

I am experiencing a new problem where my PC takes almost 5 mins to boot up.
After the Win XP boot display (Black background and Win XP home graphics)
the screen goes black, no display for about 5 mins. This problem came out of
know where. I am not sure if it is the result of a recent windows update. I
have tried disabling and uninstalling the anti-virus software and firewall
software. After booting up, the system shows no performance issues. Any
suggestions?

Here are my systems spec:

OS: Win XP Home SP1
CPU: AMD Athlon 1700XP
PSU: 375 watts
Video : Geforce 3 64mb ram Driver 2.9.4.2
MB : EPOX 8KHA+
RAM: 1 GB PC2100 DDR
HD : Boot WD 1200JB/ 8 megs of cache - 100 megs free/ IBM sec drive
Sound : SB Live
Drive : Lite on burner and DVD rom
Dlink NIC card -This computer is on a home network
USB 2.0 PCI controller card

Since MS has taken the bootvis tool off their website I recommend you do a
repair install of your Windows XP and this should fix the problem, or better
still if you can get into Windows XP at all then try a restore point prior
to when the problem first occurred.

regards

"cee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>

> I am experiencing a new problem where my PC takes almost 5 mins to boot

up.
> After the Win XP boot display (Black background and Win XP home graphics)
> the screen goes black, no display for about 5 mins. This problem came out

of
> know where. I am not sure if it is the result of a recent windows update.

> have tried disabling and uninstalling the anti-virus software and firewall
> software. After booting up, the system shows no performance issues. Any
> suggestions?
>

> Here are my systems spec:
>
> OS: Win XP Home SP1
> CPU: AMD Athlon 1700XP
> PSU: 375 watts
> Video : Geforce 3 64mb ram Driver 2.9.4.2
> MB : EPOX 8KHA+
> RAM: 1 GB PC2100 DDR
> HD : Boot WD 1200JB/ 8 megs of cache - 100 megs free/ IBM sec drive
> Sound : SB Live
> Drive : Lite on burner and DVD rom
> Dlink NIC card -This computer is on a home network
> USB 2.0 PCI controller card

relic

B wrote:
> Since MS has taken the bootvis tool off their website I recommend you
> do a repair install of your Windows XP and this should fix the
> problem, or better still if you can get into Windows XP at all then
> try a restore point prior to when the problem first occurred.

:-? Download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-40676ef111d7

(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?D22012C75)

--
- relic -
http://relic-2.notlong.com

cee

I have already tried the boot util from MS. Even after optimizing the
computer for a faster boot, there is no change. I also re-installed windows
(Not a clean install). After the install the boot up time was normal. Once I
installed all the windows updates, the problem came back.

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qPtXa.6672$(E-Mail Removed)...
> B wrote:
> > Since MS has taken the bootvis tool off their website I recommend you
> > do a repair install of your Windows XP and this should fix the
> > problem, or better still if you can get into Windows XP at all then
> > try a restore point prior to when the problem first occurred.
> >

> :-? Download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-40676ef111d7

> (or http://makeashorterlink.com/?D22012C75)
>
> --
> - relic -
> http://relic-2.notlong.com
> If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.

Timothy Drouillard

Just for grins, remove your network card and see if things improve.

I don't remember the specifics, but there sometimes can be an issue if your
network card is configured to use DHCP but when the system is booting up,
the network card is having a hard time getting a response from the DHCP
server on the network and it keeps trying for some time before the boot
process continues.

"B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgl7ip$bb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since MS has taken the bootvis tool off their website I recommend you do a
> repair install of your Windows XP and this should fix the problem, or

better
> still if you can get into Windows XP at all then try a restore point prior
> to when the problem first occurred.
>
> regards

> "cee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >

> > I am experiencing a new problem where my PC takes almost 5 mins to boot

> up.
> > After the Win XP boot display (Black background and Win XP home

graphics)
> > the screen goes black, no display for about 5 mins. This problem came

out
> of
> > know where. I am not sure if it is the result of a recent windows

update.
> > have tried disabling and uninstalling the anti-virus software and

firewall
> > software. After booting up, the system shows no performance issues. Any
> > suggestions?
> >

> > Here are my systems spec:
> >
> > OS: Win XP Home SP1
> > CPU: AMD Athlon 1700XP
> > PSU: 375 watts
> > Video : Geforce 3 64mb ram Driver 2.9.4.2
> > MB : EPOX 8KHA+
> > RAM: 1 GB PC2100 DDR
> > HD : Boot WD 1200JB/ 8 megs of cache - 100 megs free/ IBM sec drive
> > Sound : SB Live
> > Drive : Lite on burner and DVD rom
> > Dlink NIC card -This computer is on a home network
> > USB 2.0 PCI controller card

cee <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed forth with the following drivel:

> Hello,
>

> I am experiencing a new problem where my PC takes almost 5 mins to
> boot up. After the Win XP boot display (Black background and Win XP
> home graphics) the screen goes black, no display for about 5 mins.
> This problem came out of know where. I am not sure if it is the
> result of a recent windows update. I have tried disabling and
> uninstalling the anti-virus software and firewall software. After
> booting up, the system shows no performance issues. Any suggestions?
>

> Here are my systems spec:
>
> OS: Win XP Home SP1
> CPU: AMD Athlon 1700XP
> PSU: 375 watts
> Video : Geforce 3 64mb ram Driver 2.9.4.2
> MB : EPOX 8KHA+
> RAM: 1 GB PC2100 DDR
> HD : Boot WD 1200JB/ 8 megs of cache - 100 megs free/ IBM sec drive
> Sound : SB Live
> Drive : Lite on burner and DVD rom
> Dlink NIC card -This computer is on a home network
> USB 2.0 PCI controller card

Google for "bootvis" Then READ.

Buster
--
Gatekeeper: alt.os.windows-xp

Interossiter

"cee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsCvXa.34811$Ne.32718@fed1read03...
> I have already tried the boot util from MS. Even after optimizing the
> computer for a faster boot, there is no change. I also re-installed windows
> (Not a clean install). After the install the boot up time was normal. Once I
> installed all the windows updates, the problem came back.

Uninstall 811493 and try again.

Also, chkdsk doesn't work well from within windows. Boot from the CD and run it from the first repair prompt. Use chkdsk /p if you suspect only small problems and chkdsk /r if you think the disk may need something more.

Make sure your anti virus and anti spyware progs are installed and up to date, too. Also check defrag after the updates. It may be in bad need of it at that point.

Timothy Drouillard

As a generality, I disagree.

Although I've heard of some cases where it can cause an XP system to take
quite awhile, I believe that is the exception rather than the rule.

I'm a Senior Network Administrator and have been for 14 years.

I have yet to see any of our XP system exhibit that behavior.
The only systems we assign a static IP address to are systems that require
it either for licensing issues or because they have other reasons a static
address is needed. All other systems get their address from a DHCP server.

"Interossiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FYEXa.78$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Timothy Drouillard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just for grins, remove your network card and see if things improve.
>
> I don't remember the specifics, but there sometimes can be an issue if

your
> network card is configured to use DHCP but when the system is booting up,
> the network card is having a hard time getting a response from the DHCP
> server on the network and it keeps trying for some time before the boot
> process continues.

Any automatic configured network that has an XP in it has a problem on the
XP machine. It can literally take minutes until XP finds it's place. It is
always better to manually assign IP numbers to an XP in a network. The
network comes up in under 3 seconds once it gets to the point of looking for
it, then.

Timothy Drouillard

Ah, perhaps, your networks run differently than mine for some reason.

Our networks are still Server NT 4.0 based with approx 25 servers.

Desktops are a mixture of 98, NT Win2K and XP.

No I do not use Linux at all at work.

I don't doubt your own findings at all. perhaps for whatever reason there is
a difference on your or mine networks that make them act differently.

All I know is what I see on my network.

I also have been involved with systems and networks far longer than the 14
years in my current position.

I have no interest in getting into an argument over 'I'm right and you're
wrong', or anything else. That's not the point.

I simply offered an opinion based on my experience. That's all.

"Interossiter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XaOXa.217$(E-Mail Removed)...

"Timothy Drouillard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As a generality, I disagree.

You should try to be more positive, then.

> Although I've heard of some cases where it can cause an XP system to take
> quite awhile, I believe that is the exception rather than the rule.

Wrong. It is actually the common way XP behaves on a network.

> I'm a Senior Network Administrator and have been for 14 years.

Whoopee. Should I tell you I have been involved with networks since 1973?

> I have yet to see any of our XP system exhibit that behavior.

Look harder.

> The only systems we assign a static IP address to are systems that require
> it either for licensing issues or because they have other reasons a static
> address is needed. All other systems get their address from a DHCP server.

A bad idea but you probably use Linux.

Nichole

Well there are lots of suggestions so here is one more... I suggest you
visit http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/ there you will find all sorts of
goodies to tweak out XP for the best and fastest possible use... Also a
simple google search " tweak tweek windows xp home professional tweaks
tweaking" will bring up dozens of well informed sites that will assist you
in closing what is slowing your boot. By default XP Home starts a lots of
services that are not really needed by the computer. Example: If you are not
using Wi-Fi, the service still starts 'automatic' by default. Keeping a
handle on the services your cpu only needs helps speed things up and frees
resources.

Nichole