Slow IDE scan on P5WD2

Bioboffin

I installed the P5WD2 motherboard last week and mostly I'm very pleased with
it. However, I have one (DVD) drive on the IT8211 IDE connectors and the
boot scan of the IDE drives takes about 25 seconds (I have set the IDE scan
detect time to 5 s in the BIOS).

Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up (apart from plugging
into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two devices connected
to it)?

John.

Anthony Horan

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:35 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:

> I installed the P5WD2 motherboard last week and mostly I'm very pleased with
> it. However, I have one (DVD) drive on the IT8211 IDE connectors and the
> boot scan of the IDE drives takes about 25 seconds (I have set the IDE scan
> detect time to 5 s in the BIOS).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up (apart from plugging
> into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two devices connected
> to it)?

Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

Bioboffin

Anthony Horan wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:35 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:
>
>> I installed the P5WD2 motherboard last week and mostly I'm very
>> pleased with it. However, I have one (DVD) drive on the IT8211 IDE
>> connectors and the boot scan of the IDE drives takes about 25
>> seconds (I have set the IDE scan detect time to 5 s in the BIOS).
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up (apart from
>> plugging into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two
>> devices connected to it)?

> Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the BIOS,
but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only the option to
quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little difference).

Cartwright

Bioboffin wrote:
> Anthony Horan wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:18:35 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:
> >
> >> I installed the P5WD2 motherboard last week and mostly I'm very
> >> pleased with it. However, I have one (DVD) drive on the IT8211 IDE
> >> connectors and the boot scan of the IDE drives takes about 25
> >> seconds (I have set the IDE scan detect time to 5 s in the BIOS).
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding it up (apart from
> >> plugging into the ICHR primary IDE connector which already has two
> >> devices connected to it)?

> > Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

> Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the BIOS,
> but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only the option to
> quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little difference).

Cartwright

Hi,
I'm also having the same problem with a new system I built last week
with the ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe mobo. Everything works great, but the 30
second IDE scan is a bit long.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, CW

Cartwright

Hi,
I just built a new system last week with the same problem. I have an
ASUS P5LD2 mobo.
Everything works great, but the 30 second IDE scan seems too long. Any
ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Cartwright

Bioboffin

Cartwright wrote:
> Hi,
> I just built a new system last week with the same problem. I have an
> ASUS P5LD2 mobo.
> Everything works great, but the 30 second IDE scan seems too long.
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
> Cartwright

I have solved my own problem. First set the ide scan time from its default
to 0s in the BIOS (as mentioned some time ago on this forum). That was not
the solution for me, though. I realised that the problem was not the ide
scan itself, but something happening afterwards. In my case I installed
64bit drivers for the iomega zip atapi drive which I have installed (but not
on the red ITE connectors). This cured the problem. I think it may have been
because I had previously attempted to install the 32bit driver which was
blocked by Win x64 and that 'corrupted' driver was causing the delay.
Putting in new working drivers meant that the system could boot up normally.

Another curiosity that I discovered was that on p.2-29 of the motherboard
manual it states quite clearly that the red (ITE) connectors do not support
ATAPI devices. I have an ATAPI DVD-RAM plugged in, and it works just fine,
appearing as a SCSI drive in Device manager. For a while I thought that it
was causing the hang, but apparently not.

John

Anthony Horan

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:22:21 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:

> Anthony Horan wrote:
>>
>> Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

> Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the BIOS,
> but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only the option to
> quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little difference).

What I mean is disable the IDE ports that aren't being used, rather than
leaving them on auto-detect.

Bioboffin

Anthony Horan wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:22:21 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:
>
>> Anthony Horan wrote:
>>>
>>> Maybe disable the unused IT8211 ports in BIOS?

>> Thanks for the reply. I have looked for the option to do this in the
>> BIOS, but I can't find it. The ITE connector appears to have only
>> the option to quick boot or standard boot (which makes very little
>> difference).

> What I mean is disable the IDE ports that aren't being used, rather
> than leaving them on auto-detect.

Thanks. That's not possible, I'm afraid. However I solved the problem, which
appeared to be due to a corrupted (Iomega Zip drive) driver. Its fine now.

John.

Anthony Horan

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:07:51 GMT, Bioboffin wrote:

(And yes, you solved it before my last post! :-)

> Another curiosity that I discovered was that on p.2-29 of the motherboard
> manual it states quite clearly that the red (ITE) connectors do not support
> ATAPI devices. I have an ATAPI DVD-RAM plugged in, and it works just fine,
> appearing as a SCSI drive in Device manager.

From what I've been able to establish, I think the ITE ports actually do
happily run ATAPI devices, but cannot boot from them.

P5WD2 - Stuck on "Please wait for IDE scan" RyanD Asus 0 06-04-2010 03:49 PM
ASUS P5WD2 - Premium Slow POST Kingstew Asus 5 09-05-2005 04:38 PM
TC1100 - SP2 - SLOW SLOW SLOW! Stef Tablet PC 10 09-13-2004 09:53 AM
IDE device scan on P5AD2? Dave Asus 1 08-23-2004 08:33 PM
Why wait for IDE bus scan...KNXP? mark7 Gigabyte 3 01-05-2004 06:49 PM