Craig Sutton

I have one of these that powers up, with fans going full. But no video
display or bootup. E.g bootable floppy or dvd burner or HD does not bootup.
The lights on the dvd do blink. But nothing will boot.

The unit is stock with onboard video & 2 x 256 meg sticks of ram (which are
fine tested in another pc)

I've reset the bios including removing the battery. Still no display any
ideas?

dave AKA vwdoc1

Any beeps?
Are you sure the monitor works and the cable is properly attached to both
the monitor and the computer?

Remove IDE cables to drives at motherboard
Remove 2nd stick of your ram
Install a PCI Video card if you have been using the built in graphics (or
use the built-in graphics in you were using a video card)
Try booting up the computer and see if the screen comes up so you can go to
the BIOS.
If not then try the other stick of ram.
If not try the video card in another slot.

You might have to pull the MB out of the case if you don't have enough room
to install a video card.

BTW does yours have dual monitor support and you check both ports?

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eqpeq3$fjq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have one of these that powers up, with fans going full. But no video
>display or bootup. E.g bootable floppy or dvd burner or HD does not bootup.
>The lights on the dvd do blink. But nothing will boot.
>

> The unit is stock with onboard video & 2 x 256 meg sticks of ram (which
> are fine tested in another pc)
>

> I've reset the bios including removing the battery. Still no display any
> ideas?

Craig Sutton

"dave AKA vwdoc1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XU5Ah.26495$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Any beeps?

no

> Are you sure the monitor works and the cable is properly attached to both
> the monitor and the computer?

of course

> Remove IDE cables to drives at motherboard
> Remove 2nd stick of your ram

already done all that

> Install a PCI Video card if you have been using the built in graphics (or
> use the built-in graphics in you were using a video card)

I don't have one spare

> Try booting up the computer and see if the screen comes up so you can go
> to the BIOS.

The bios has been reset there should be nothing in it to stop the HD booting
up

> If not then try the other stick of ram.

Both sticks of ram already been checked

> If not try the video card in another slot.
>
> You might have to pull the MB out of the case if you don't have enough
> room to install a video card.

I don't have a spare pci card

> BTW does yours have dual monitor support and you check both ports?

Yes..

dave AKA vwdoc1

OK
Does booting mean accessing the BIOS at least, or I guess that is called
starting your computer and booting means launching your operating system.
At least I have learned something today! lol
So we know that you can see the BIOS.
AFAIK your computer does not see the Hard Drive, there is a problem with the
HD or operating system or there is an issue with the IDE ports. Does yours
have 2 IDE ports to try?

At one of the screens/info........does it show that the HD and any optical
drives are recognized?
Can you boot to an optical drive with your windows CD? You might have to
adjust your BIOS for this to occur, or unplug the HD.

Is the master drive and other drives properly jumpered? It might need to be
set to Cable Select instead of set to master or vice versa.
Do you have a spare HD to try?

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios2.htm
"If the BIOS does not find a device, it will try the next device in the
list. If it does not find the proper files on a device, the startup process
will halt."

"Craig Sutton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eqri11$8dn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dave AKA vwdoc1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XU5Ah.26495$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> Any beeps?

> no
>
>> Are you sure the monitor works and the cable is properly attached to both
>> the monitor and the computer?
>>

> of course

>> Remove IDE cables to drives at motherboard
>> Remove 2nd stick of your ram

> already done all that
>
>> Install a PCI Video card if you have been using the built in graphics (or
>> use the built-in graphics in you were using a video card)

> I don't have one spare
>
>> Try booting up the computer and see if the screen comes up so you can go
>> to the BIOS.

> The bios has been reset there should be nothing in it to stop the HD
> booting up
>
>> If not then try the other stick of ram.

> Both sticks of ram already been checked
>
>> If not try the video card in another slot.
>>
>> You might have to pull the MB out of the case if you don't have enough
>> room to install a video card.

> I don't have a spare pci card
>

>> BTW does yours have dual monitor support and you check both ports?
>>

> Yes..

joesmith

had a simialar situation...
I just flashed the bios and nothing
order new bios ( ugh) still nothing.
I went to ebay and picked up a cheap shuttle sn41g2 ( hey 512MB and
athlon 2500 and AIW 7500 radeon for under $200 was a good deal)
I was ready to declare it dead and move everything over and for some
reason I changed the dimms to from the other machine and powered on
....it reset something and started working...(cool now I have 2 systems)

Later I started having strange reboots, And found out about the power
issues ( google achme power supplies and it should pop out). Open the PS
and sure enough ..bad caps swollen and one about to burst.

so it may have been the power supply, although it looks funny it is
nothing more than an ATX supply (check the connectors out)
if you have another PC lying around I would suggest disconnecting the
shuttle over night to be sure it is completely discharge, then poping
in a "borrowed" supply from another and see if it boots.