SN41G2 strange power up behaviour

Mal Franks

I press the On button and can take from 5 to 30 seconds before it
decides to start powering up. Anyone know why this is?

Mal

Andy McCall

Nope but mine has started doing this too. Are you connected to a LAN?
"Mal Franks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I press the On button and can take from 5 to 30 seconds before it
> decides to start powering up. Anyone know why this is?
>
> Mal

Clark

All I could guess would be the power is not correct and it is waiting
for a good signal. The paperweight I have right now will not even power up.

Clark

Mal Franks wrote:
> I press the On button and can take from 5 to 30 seconds before it
> decides to start powering up. Anyone know why this is?
>
> Mal

Mal Franks

Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
well placed blow, (E-Mail Removed) said...
> Nope but mine has started doing this too. Are you connected to a LAN?

Yes, but it has always been connected to one.

sevenyo11 via HWKB.com

My son's SN41G2 that I built back in 2003 is also exhibiting the same
problems. If I press the case button and nothing happens. If I hold the
button down for a few seconds, the keyboard lights will flicker on, but the
computer still will not power on. However, after popping off the case, I
notice that the green LED light next to the RAM chips is lit which I believe
indicates a voltage problem between the board and the memory sticks.. The
machine is running a 2200 XP chip with two Fry's generic 512 MB PC2200 sticks
(one year warranty). I got 3 years out of the memory, so I'm thinking it's
going out - but I'm not getting any POST errors. I'm planning on swapping
out the memory. If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.

sevenyo11 via HWKB.com

sevenyo11 wrote:
>My son's SN41G2 that I built back in 2003 is also exhibiting the same
>problems. If I press the case button and nothing happens. If I hold the
>button down for a few seconds, the keyboard lights will flicker on, but the
>computer still will not power on. However, after popping off the case, I
>notice that the green LED light next to the RAM chips is lit which I believe
>indicates a voltage problem between the board and the memory sticks.. The
>machine is running a 2200 XP chip with two Fry's generic 512 MB PC2200 sticks
>(one year warranty). I got 3 years out of the memory, so I'm thinking it's
>going out - but I'm not getting any POST errors. I'm planning on swapping
>out the memory. If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.

I forgot to add, the computer fires up after a few minutes after pressing the
case button. It runs fine once it starts - but the problem is getting it to
start up.

Cichlidiot

sevenyo11 via HWKB.com <u14393@uwe> wrote:
: My son's SN41G2 that I built back in 2003 is also exhibiting the same
: problems. If I press the case button and nothing happens. If I hold the
: button down for a few seconds, the keyboard lights will flicker on, but the
: computer still will not power on. However, after popping off the case, I
: notice that the green LED light next to the RAM chips is lit which I believe
: indicates a voltage problem between the board and the memory sticks.. The
: machine is running a 2200 XP chip with two Fry's generic 512 MB PC2200 sticks
: (one year warranty). I got 3 years out of the memory, so I'm thinking it's
: going out - but I'm not getting any POST errors. I'm planning on swapping
: out the memory. If it fixes the problem, I'll report back.

The green LED you reference simply means the board is getting power from
the PSU. It will always be on when the machine is plugged in unless the power
supply is totally dead. My SN41G2 also starting displaying similar symptoms.
The first boot-up after I moved, the keyboard port was unrecognized. Powered
down using the mouse to select the proper shutdown options. Tested keyboard
on laptop where it worked fine. Went back to the SN41G2 and it would not
boot up. A Google search turned up many other people with these same problems.
Rather than tear my hair out trying to get it to work, I purchased a
mid-tower case and mobo I've had good performance from in the past and
transferred all the hardware over. It all works fine, so that suggest to me
that the SN41G2's problem is either the mobo or the power supply. I couldn't
see any buldging capacitors, so it's probably not the capacitor issue that
plagued earlier models (like the SV24 I have which is also a door stop now).
In my case, it's possible one of my friends accidently mishandled it during
the move and that sped up the machine's demise. The machine was having
intermittant keyboard issues before the move, but that could have been the
KVM.