Snicker (IE7)

Alan Browne

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3445752.story

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Wes Groleau

On 06-15-2012 16:52, Alan Browne wrote:
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3445752.story

What do they charge for IE6?

--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/

Helpful Harry

In article <jrjohu$m44$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 06-15-2012 16:52, Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3445752.story

> What do they charge for IE6?

I'm still using Internet Explorer 5. )

Technically I rarely use it. I only have it for the ocasional website that
doesn't work properly with either Firefox (version 1) or iCab (version 3).

Helpful Harry )

james

>."Alan Browne" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3445752.story

--
>"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
>necessities."
> -Samuel Clemens.

DUH, most people are using IE9, and a few Luddites use,
MOOHOOHOOHAAHAAHARR, Safari. snicker, snicker.

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-17 09:10 , james wrote:

>> ."Alan Browne" wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3445752.story

Per Wikipedia Chrome is the top dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us...atCounter).svg

For good reason. It's a fine browser (the first year it was a bit dodgy).

Safari continues to gain. No idea why.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-06-17 09:10 , james wrote:
> >

> >> ."Alan Browne" wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...ternet-explore
> >> r-7-tax-20120614,0,3445752.story

> Per Wikipedia Chrome is the top dog.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us...ource_StatCoun
> ter).svg
>
> For good reason. It's a fine browser (the first year it was a bit dodgy).
>
> Safari continues to gain. No idea why.

Maybe because Mac sales are increasing, and it's the default browser on
Macs? It's pretty obvious from the graph that Chrome's increase is
almost entirely due to IE converts. Even if every Safari user had
switched to Chrome it wouldn't have caught up to IE without a huge
number of IE users switching as well.

It looks like the Safari usage share is roughly equal to the Mac share
in the desktop market.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-17 11:20 , Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Per Wikipedia Chrome is the top dog.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Us...ource_StatCoun
>> ter).svg
>>
>> For good reason. It's a fine browser (the first year it was a bit dodgy).
>>
>> Safari continues to gain. No idea why.

> Maybe because Mac sales are increasing, and it's the default browser on
> Macs? It's pretty obvious from the graph that Chrome's increase is
> almost entirely due to IE converts. Even if every Safari user had
> switched to Chrome it wouldn't have caught up to IE without a huge
> number of IE users switching as well.
>
> It looks like the Safari usage share is roughly equal to the Mac share
> in the desktop market.

My comment was TIC. In a recent survey in one of the Mac oriented
sites, Safari was the favourite by far. IMO a good chunk of that is
loyalty (as well as the default thing). I personally never liked Safari
and find it balky in some situations (or did, I don't think I've loaded
it more than 10 times in the last 3 years).

Chrome is lean, mean and fast.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Bread

On 2012-06-17 15:46:37 +0000, Alan Browne said:

> Safari was the favourite by far. IMO a good chunk of that is loyalty
> (as well as the default thing). I personally never liked Safari and
> find it balky in some situations (or did, I don't think I've loaded it
> more than 10 times in the last 3 years).

Most computer users - mac and otherwise - use whatever comes on the
machine. That means Safari on Macs and IE on Windows. Something has
to be really really bad before they generally go out of their way to
replace it, though it looks like Windows users are switching more than
ever before.

I've found Safari isn't terrible, just not great. It hangs, sometimes
just for a few moments, sometimes completely - as do all browsers - but
Safari does it in my experience more often than either Firefox or
Chrome.

> Chrome is lean, mean and fast.

For my needs, the ability to use certain extensions/plug-ins, and not
hanging - are the most important issues. Firefox, Safari and Chrome
all now have decent plug-in support, and lately the one which hangs
least is Chrome. I have mixed feelings about how Chrome, using my
Google ID, syncs up information between all my machines - it all means
that Google is getting a bit more information than I'm terribly
comfortable with, but nowadays, they're probably getting almost as much
even if I weren't using Chrome.

Lewis

In message <jrlbtk$6j9$(E-Mail Removed)>
Bread <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've found Safari isn't terrible, just not great. It hangs, sometimes
> just for a few moments, sometimes completely - as do all browsers - but
> Safari does it in my experience more often than either Firefox or
> Chrome.

I used FireFOx pretty much exclusively from 1.0 through about v4 (right
before the version stupidity started) as it was easily the best browser
out there. However, since then Firefox has become lethargic and
problematic. I gave Chrome a go, but found it was a memory hog, was
unstable, and its internal Flash engine meant I couldn't avoid the
craptacular Flash animation spam that some sites so love.

Around Safari 5.0.1 I switched full time to Safari and have found it a
lot more stable and well-behaved than either FF or Chrome, though I do
use FF on any windows machine I happen to use. If it's a machine where I
can install software though, I install Safari.

It looks like iOS6 will cement my relationship with Safari on the
desktop as the iCloud tab syncing is a true 'killer' feature.

>>Chrome is lean, mean and fast.

Lean? The last time I ran chrome it was using over 1GB of real RAM in
less than an hour of casual browsing. Safari might get that high after
several days, maybe, but unless you leave 20+ tabs open its not likely.

--
'Tell me, sir Samuel, do you know the phrase "Quis custodiet isos
custodes?"? (...) It means "Who guards the guards themselves?" (...) Who

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-17 16:38 , Lewis wrote:

>>> Chrome is lean, mean and fast.

> Lean? The last time I ran chrome it was using over 1GB of real RAM in

Current instance of Chrome is about a week old and seriously used.

RAM: 201 MB (real mem) + 315 virtual.

The "helpers" and such about another 150 MB + 200 virtual.

eg: 350 MB real mem.

If I increase that to 5 tabs, one playing video, then add about 55 MB
per tab opened (real mem) + 65 MB per tab (virtual).

Shut down the tabs, and all that mem is returned to the OS.