snow leopard and lion on a partitioned disk and other multiple osqs

M. John Matlaw

Thinking of going whole hog a buying a 17" i7 macbook pro from the apple
refurb section. I recall that, at one point, there was a problem
partioning the disk and running both 10.6 and 10.7. I believe it was
just after 10.7 came out and may have only had to do with the machines
that had just come out at that time. Anyone know of any problems with this?

Turns out though the specs say memory tops out at 8gb, everymac and owc
say it'll take 16. Leads me to think that maybe I could run 10.7 and
use 10.6 via parallels or some other program. I know this was discussed
at some point but I've forgotten what the upshot was. I'm assuming one
can't do it the other way around - install 10.6 and run 10.7 virtually.

john

Király

M. John Matlaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Leads me to think that maybe I could run 10.7 and use 10.6 via
> parallels or some other program.

It can be done, but none of the virtual machine developer's software
support the installation of non-Server versions of 10.6. It requires a
good bit of rigging to make it work. There are some details here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

> I'm assuming one can't do it the other way around - install 10.6 and
> run 10.7 virtually.

Unfortuantely not. 10.7 is only licensed to be run in a VM if the host
OS is also 10.7. No other host OS is allowed.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

M. John Matlaw

On 5/27/12 5:15 PM, Király wrote:
> M. John Matlaw<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Leads me to think that maybe I could run 10.7 and use 10.6 via
>> parallels or some other program.

> It can be done, but none of the virtual machine developer's software
> support the installation of non-Server versions of 10.6. It requires a
> good bit of rigging to make it work. There are some details here:
> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439
>
>> I'm assuming one can't do it the other way around - install 10.6 and
>> run 10.7 virtually.

> Unfortuantely not. 10.7 is only licensed to be run in a VM if the host
> OS is also 10.7. No other host OS is allowed.

Thanks for the link. Looks a little bit tricky. Perhaps I'll just
shell out for a bigger hd and hope I can partition the drive and boot
from both oses.
John

Bread

On 2012-05-27 21:52:05 +0000, M. John Matlaw said:

> On 5/27/12 5:15 PM, Király wrote:
>> M. John Matlaw<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Leads me to think that maybe I could run 10.7 and use 10.6 via
>>> parallels or some other program.

>> It can be done, but none of the virtual machine developer's software
>> support the installation of non-Server versions of 10.6. It requires a
>> good bit of rigging to make it work. There are some details here:
>> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439
>>
>>> I'm assuming one can't do it the other way around - install 10.6 and
>>> run 10.7 virtually.

>> Unfortuantely not. 10.7 is only licensed to be run in a VM if the host
>> OS is also 10.7. No other host OS is allowed.
>>

> Thanks for the link. Looks a little bit tricky. Perhaps I'll just
> shell out for a bigger hd and hope I can partition the drive and boot
> from both oses.
> John

Bear in mind that if you partition, you don't need twice the space - if
you install 10.6 and 10.7, you don't need two copies of every
application or user space or datafile. Both filesystems are visible
from either OS.

I had partitioned and put 10.6 into a much smaller partition because
10.7 was my primary OS and the only thing I needed in 10.6 (at that
time) was Quicken. Most of the apps in my primary (10.7 partition's
copy of) /Applications worked just fine when I ran 10.6. I just had to
find them under /Volumes/LionPartition/Applications when I wanted them.

(Of course, my data - mostly my media content (pix, video, etc) took up
the most space and it certainly didn't need to be duplicated).

Since Intuit made available a Lion-compat. version of Quicken, however,
I haven't booted into 10.6 once and now am looking to get rid of that
partition when I have the time to deal with it. But when I needed the
dual-boot, it worked just fine.

FWIW, my MBP has a 500GB drive and I made the SL partition 30GB - and
never actually used more than 12GB of it. I could easily have made it
15 or 20GB.

John Albert

On 5/27/12 4:33 PM, M. John Matlaw wrote:
> I recall that, at one point, there was a problem partioning
> the disk and running both 10.6 and 10.7. I believe it was
> just after 10.7 came out and may have only had to do with
> the machines that had just come out at that time. Anyone
> know of any problems with this?

I've had no problems doing just that. Have 10.4, 10.6, 10.7
and 10.8 scattered around on several partitions spread over
a couple of drives. Just hold down the option key at startup
to invoke the startup manager, then boot away...!

M. John Matlaw

On 5/27/12 7:50 PM, Bread wrote:
> On 2012-05-27 21:52:05 +0000, M. John Matlaw said:

>>> It can be done, but none of the virtual machine developer's software
>>> support the installation of non-Server versions of 10.6. It requires a
>>> good bit of rigging to make it work. There are some details here:
>>> http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

>>> Unfortuantely not. 10.7 is only licensed to be run in a VM if the host
>>> OS is also 10.7. No other host OS is allowed.
>>>

>> Thanks for the link. Looks a little bit tricky. Perhaps I'll just
>> shell out for a bigger hd and hope I can partition the drive and boot
>> from both oses.
>> John

> Bear in mind that if you partition, you don't need twice the space - if
> you install 10.6 and 10.7, you don't need two copies of every
> application or user space or datafile. Both filesystems are visible from
> either OS.
>
> I had partitioned and put 10.6 into a much smaller partition because
> 10.7 was my primary OS and the only thing I needed in 10.6 (at that
> time) was Quicken. Most of the apps in my primary (10.7 partition's copy
> of) /Applications worked just fine when I ran 10.6. I just had to find
> them under /Volumes/LionPartition/Applications when I wanted them.
>
> (Of course, my data - mostly my media content (pix, video, etc) took up
> the most space and it certainly didn't need to be duplicated).
>
> Since Intuit made available a Lion-compat. version of Quicken, however,
> I haven't booted into 10.6 once and now am looking to get rid of that
> partition when I have the time to deal with it. But when I needed the
> dual-boot, it worked just fine.
>
> FWIW, my MBP has a 500GB drive and I made the SL partition 30GB - and
> never actually used more than 12GB of it. I could easily have made it 15
> or 20GB.

Thanks for the info. I currently have a dual boot Mac Mini (both
running 10.6, I keep meaning to upgrading one of them). It's just that
with a laptop, I won't have an external drive for data so I'm a bit more
worried about space. I've been using a 240 gb ssd and what with some
eyetv recorded shows and music files in iTunes things could get a little
tight, especially if I sprung for another ssd for the mbp. I'm a little
surprised that prices for ssds haven't seemed to come down at all.
Maybe they were being built in Thailand as well.
John

M. John Matlaw

On 5/27/12 8:58 PM, John Albert wrote:
> On 5/27/12 4:33 PM, M. John Matlaw wrote:
>> I recall that, at one point, there was a problem partioning
>> the disk and running both 10.6 and 10.7. I believe it was
>> just after 10.7 came out and may have only had to do with
>> the machines that had just come out at that time. Anyone
>> know of any problems with this?

> I've had no problems doing just that. Have 10.4, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8
> scattered around on several partitions spread over a couple of drives.
> Just hold down the option key at startup to invoke the startup manager,
> then boot away...!

I'm pretty sure that there was a problem somewhere. I actually went
into an Apple store and someone who worked there confirmed it. It may
have just been a problem for the MacBook Airs that were out at the time
of the release of 10.7 or released shortly after. Thanks
John