Snow Leopard vs. Lion

TaliesinSoft

I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
might feel different.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

Doug Anderson

TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow
> Leopard. What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion
> interface, especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling
> under Snow Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation
> but, at least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow
> Leopard's. Others might feel different.

There are third party utilities that allow you to reset scrolling
on Snow Leopard so it matches the default behavior on Lion. I ended
up installing one of them on my Snow Leopard machine and have been
happy with it, but the machine isn't in front of me, and so I don't
know what I installed. Possibly "scroll-reverser".

MC

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
> What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
> especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
> Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
> least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
> might feel different.

A couple of third-party add-ons I had don't work under Lion, but I knew
that and ditched them before making the switch, coming up with new ways
to do the old things. I don't regret upgrading a bit.

The new OSX is due out any day now, isn't it?

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
> > What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
> > especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
> > Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
> > least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
> > might feel different.

> Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
> support in the pipeline for 10.6.

why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
to be 2 versions old.

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
> What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
> especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
> Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
> least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
> might feel different.

There is a 3rd party utility "Scroll Reverser"
<http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37872/scroll-reverser> which makes the
SL scroll function the same as Lion.

I use it on my SL virtual machine to reduce confusion when switching
to/from Lion.

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

TaliesinSoft

On 2012-06-26 18:47:21 +0000, Doug Anderson said:

> There are third party utilities that allow you to reset scrolling
> on Snow Leopard so it matches the default behavior on Lion. I ended
> up installing one of them on my Snow Leopard machine and have been
> happy with it, but the machine isn't in front of me, and so I don't
> know what I installed. Possibly "scroll-reverser".

Scroll Reverser did the job!

The MacBook Pro I have is the first Intel version and unfortunately
won't run Lion. Because of that I purchased an iMac to be my main
computer and set my MacBook Pro aside and it remained unused until
recently when I decided it was perfect for giving Keynote presentations
and slide shows with the MacBook Pro connected to a projector. That's
when, after having become totally used to the scrolling conventions of
Lion that I found it frustrating to have the scrolling reversed in the
MacBook Pro.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

Lewis

In message <260620121643277841%(E-Mail Removed)>
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
>> > What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
>> > especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
>> > Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
>> > least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
>> > might feel different.

>> Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
>> support in the pipeline for 10.6.

> why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
> release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
> it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
> to be 2 versions old.

Oh, they might do it a few weeks after MobileMe dies, but first they
want to move as many people as they can to Lion. Heck, they will *GIVE*
you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you can update to Lion.

Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

"We heard you concerns and have decided to integrate iCould support into
Snow Leopard."

--
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming in
terror like his passengers.

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
MC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I have an iMac running Lion and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.
>> What a difference! I've grown so accustomed to the Lion interface,
>> especially scrolling, that I have difficulty with scrolling under Snow
>> Leopard. Like many things there was the time of adaptation but, at
>> least to me, Lion's interface is far superior to Snow Leopard's. Others
>> might feel different.

> A couple of third-party add-ons I had don't work under Lion, but I knew
> that and ditched them before making the switch, coming up with new ways
> to do the old things. I don't regret upgrading a bit.

> The new OSX is due out any day now, isn't it?

July 1st to 31st. My guess is between the 6th and 15th, unless there's a
problem in the latest builds.

--
'How come you know all that stuff?' 'I ain't just a pretty face.' 'You
aren't even a pretty face, Gaspode.'

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Heck, they will *GIVE* you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you
> can update to Lion.

How can you get it for free? I have a friend is still running Leopard.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Agree. Lion also makes iCloud a breeze; though I hear Apple's got iCloud
> >> support in the pipeline for 10.6.

> > why would they do that, especially with mountain lion weeks away from
> > release? if they were going to update 10.6 for icloud, they'd have done
> > it already. they're certainly not going to bother now when it's about
> > to be 2 versions old.

> Oh, they might do it a few weeks after MobileMe dies, but first they
> want to move as many people as they can to Lion. Heck, they will *GIVE*
> you Snow Leopard for free right now so that you can update to Lion.
>
> Once they have every possible person on Lion that they can get, THEN
> they will release 10.6.9 (it is 9?) with iCloud support to get all those
> people who really could not move to Lion onto iCloud.

what's in it for apple to do that?

if you want icloud then you upgrade to lion now or wait a few weeks for
mountain lion and save $10.