SO-DIMM DDR out of production

Martin Trautmann

Hi all,

I was surprised to find out how expensive SO-DIMM DDR still is nowadays.

It's about one year ago that DDR2 became as cheap as DDR - about $60/GB
(all comparisons based on 1 GB sized extensions).

Today DDR2 is below $15/GB - and standard DIMMs with 240 pins are almost
the same as the slighlty more expensive SO-DIMM with 200 pins.

Today DDR is at about $30/GB for standard DIMM 184 pin and about $50/GB
for SO-DIMM 200 pins.

I wonder: Is DDR still in production? Has every fab moved over to DDR2
or even DDR3 nowadays (which is at about $80/GB)?

I've checked European prices first. They do convert almost 1:1 to
USD-prices, although the exchange rate would be better than 1:1.50. Some
of this is due to almost 20% of taxes. German/Austrian price trends can be
observed at www.geizhals.at. Since I do not know matching US sources, I
compared with pricegrabber.com for current prices only:

EUR/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
2006 90 90 130 130
2007 60 70 60 60 180
2008 25 35 13 14 50

USD/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
2008 33 50 14 18 80

(all prices in currency per giga byte in march)
(e.g. SO-DDR2 does mean SO-DIMM DDR2 200 pin, ...)

I do not know any Asian prices.

G.G. Willikers

Martin Trautmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was surprised to find out how expensive SO-DIMM DDR still is nowadays.
>
> It's about one year ago that DDR2 became as cheap as DDR - about $60/GB
> (all comparisons based on 1 GB sized extensions).
>
> Today DDR2 is below $15/GB - and standard DIMMs with 240 pins are almost
> the same as the slighlty more expensive SO-DIMM with 200 pins.
>
> Today DDR is at about $30/GB for standard DIMM 184 pin and about $50/GB
> for SO-DIMM 200 pins.
>
> I wonder: Is DDR still in production? Has every fab moved over to DDR2
> or even DDR3 nowadays (which is at about $80/GB)?
>
> I've checked European prices first. They do convert almost 1:1 to
> USD-prices, although the exchange rate would be better than 1:1.50. Some
> of this is due to almost 20% of taxes. German/Austrian price trends can be
> observed at www.geizhals.at. Since I do not know matching US sources, I
> compared with pricegrabber.com for current prices only:
>
> EUR/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
> 2006 90 90 130 130
> 2007 60 70 60 60 180
> 2008 25 35 13 14 50
>
> USD/GB DDR SO-DDR DDR2 SO-DDR2 DDR3
> 2008 33 50 14 18 80
>
> (all prices in currency per giga byte in march)
> (e.g. SO-DDR2 does mean SO-DIMM DDR2 200 pin, ...)
>
> I do not know any Asian prices.

YEAH I have boxes of SO DIMM.. woohoo
OH and a about 400 pounds of PC100 & PC133.... Jackpot
--
The RIGHT REVEREND G.G. WILLIKERS
(formerly) Monsignor Boddom

Barry Watzman

The best place to buy memory is often E-Bay. I'm buying the DDR modules
that I need for under $5 per module.