Socket 754 vs 939 comments?

DrB

for the AMD-64, which I prefer, looking for what would the difference before
I upgrade my computers to the AMD-64. Can anyone comment on the pros and
cons of these?

Jim

I chose the 754 based on price of the board and cpu. My goal was a
+3000 system as a base with the possibility of some modest performance
improvement in the future. I looked at 939 for a long time (MSI and
Abit) because they were newer and had support for PCI-e. However, I
did not want a board with a chipset fan and the prices for boards with
heatpipes were about twice the price of the ECS 754 board. I can
always upgrade later when the prices come down.

-jim

DrB

Thank you for your helpful comments.

You mentioned heatpipes. Does that mean that the 939 setup generates more
heat and uses more power?

I am thinking that which ever CPU is used in notebooks would use less power
to run and therefore run the coolest so do you know which one is used there?

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I chose the 754 based on price of the board and cpu. My goal was a
> +3000 system as a base with the possibility of some modest performance
> improvement in the future. I looked at 939 for a long time (MSI and
> Abit) because they were newer and had support for PCI-e. However, I
> did not want a board with a chipset fan and the prices for boards with
> heatpipes were about twice the price of the ECS 754 board. I can
> always upgrade later when the prices come down.
>
> -jim

Jim

The latest Nvidia chipsets nForce4 which support PCIe uses more power
and requires extra cooling support. Via and SIS chipsets use two chips
instead of one. The power is probably the same (or more) but these
chips can get by with a passive heatsink. The overclocker crowd seem
to prefer Nvidia. I am not an overclocker and wanted a quieter system.

I think there are CPUs that are designated for "mobile computing" which
use less power but they probably will need a CPU fan for any reasonable
level of performance. I don't know much about these.

You might google for "quiet PC" to find more info on mobile PCs.

-jim

FS: New Unopened Zalman CNPS7700-Cu for Intel Socket 775 478 AMD 754 939 940 Rob AMD Overclocking 0 04-05-2005 04:56 AM
Socket 754 vs 939 vs 940 -WTFO? Wilf Brim AMD Overclocking 13 03-02-2005 09:52 AM
939 or 754 socket cpu??? DDC Asus 8 12-28-2004 11:56 PM
Newbie - Socket 754 processor in Socket 939 Flyfire Abit 1 09-10-2004 10:32 PM
Are Heat Sink fans for socket 754 AMD CPU's compatable with the socket 939 Motherboards? Keith S. AMD Thunderbird 0 07-04-2004 12:35 PM