Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Socket A & 754 Sempron caution.

 
 
Wes Newell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 05:54 AM
I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).

As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hank Kimball
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 07:27 AM
"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.30.05.55.35.314919@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
>I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
> Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
> benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
> higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
> 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
> running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).
>
> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.
>
> --
> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm


Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at all. I
recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and CPU, thus you
preserve your investment for at least 2 years. )

Hank Kimball
"I have an important message for you, life or death." .. Ok, what is the
message? "What message?"



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rstlne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 09:38 AM

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.30.05.55.35.314919@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
> I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64 3000+.
> Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch of the
> benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons could have
> higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up with an Athlon 64
> 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is actually a tbred B core
> running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+ tbred (12.5x166).
>
> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.
>



Yea, The benchark is supposed to be a close to a CeleronD comparision
chart..



 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Baker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Hank Kimball wrote:
> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.07.30.05.55.35.314919@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
>> I don't know if this is well known or not but AMD has used different
>> criteria in giving the Sempron line of cpu's its PR numbers. So don't
>> buy a Sempron 3100+ expecting it to be faster than an Athlon 64
>> 3000+. Because it's nowhere close to as fast. AMD ommitted a bunch
>> of the benchmarks used for Athlon XP's and Athlon 64 so the Semprons
>> could have higher PR numbers. The sempron 3100+ won't even keep up
>> with an Athlon 64 2800+ And the Sempron for Socket A 2800+ is
>> actually a tbred B core running slower (12x166) than the XP 2600+
>> tbred (12.5x166).
>>
>> As info only, I crossposted this to several groups.
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

>
> Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
> all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
> CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. )
>


Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754 CPU. Can't
really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to upgrade the CPU and
board together.

--
Derek


 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Baker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 12:50 PM
rstlne wrote:
>>> Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
>>> all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
>>> CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. )
>>>

>>
>> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754
>> CPU. Can't really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to
>> upgrade the CPU and board together.
>>
>> --
>> Derek

>
>
> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with
> your skt A (if that's what you have)
> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the
> huge gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
> feeling you get)


What benchmarks are you looking at? The ones I've seen show a small
difference between the 3400+ and 3500+.

--
Derek


 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Baker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Derek Baker wrote:
> rstlne wrote:
>>>> Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
>>>> all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
>>>> CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. )
>>>>
>>>
>>> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754
>>> CPU. Can't really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to
>>> upgrade the CPU and board together.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Derek

>>
>>
>> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with
>> your skt A (if that's what you have)
>> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the
>> huge gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
>> feeling you get)

>
> What benchmarks are you looking at? The ones I've seen show a small
> difference between the 3400+ and 3500+.


Here's a comparison of the 3400+ and 3500+:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...px?i=2065&p=15

Though note since then the 3400+ ha slost half it's cache and gained 200Mhz.

--
Derek


 
Reply With Quote
 
rstlne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 01:32 PM

> > Thank you. I for one recommend not purchasing a 754 socket CPU at
> > all. I recommend going straight for the 939 based motherboard and
> > CPU, thus you preserve your investment for at least 2 years. )
> >

>
> Looks like I'm just about to do the opposite and get a Socket 754 CPU.

Can't
> really justify the extra for a 3500+, when I expect to upgrade the CPU and
> board together.
>
> --
> Derek



If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
skt A (if that's what you have)
the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge gaps
i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Post Replies Here Please
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 01:53 PM
>>>>> "rstlne" == rstlne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

rstlne> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just
rstlne> stick with your skt A (if that's what you have) the 939 kicks
rstlne> ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge
rstlne> gaps i would tend to belive that it would really affect the
rstlne> feeling you get)


Really. Anyway the few benchmarks I have seen don't show that
significant of a performance difference between 939 vs 754. Could you
kindly send a url that shows these big differences.

Thanks

Alan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Light
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 07:18 PM

"rstlne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
> skt A (if that's what you have)
> the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge

gaps
> i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)


I read that 939 requires matched pairs of memory. Do they have to be
identical, or can they be different brands of the same type?


--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.


 
Reply With Quote
 
The Chief
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2004, 08:32 PM
The safest thing to do is to purchase a matched set. Same size, same
speed, and same brand. One of the problems is matching up all the
timing. If you look at the specs for different brands, you will see
they use different timings. And it may well end up being the cheapest.
If you don't go with a matched set and you start having weird
problems, like spontaneous rebooting, you will have to then buy a
matched set to fix your unexplained problems.


Ed Light wrote:
> "rstlne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>If your willing to go to a 754 then you might as well just stick with your
>>skt A (if that's what you have)
>>the 939 kicks ass compared (in all of the benchmarks, and from the huge

>
> gaps
>
>>i would tend to belive that it would really affect the feeling you get)

>
>
> I read that 939 requires matched pairs of memory. Do they have to be
> identical, or can they be different brands of the same type?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Socket A to Socket 754 convertor Ed AMD Overclocking 29 09-16-2004 10:22 AM
Newbie - Socket 754 processor in Socket 939 Flyfire Abit 1 09-10-2004 10:32 PM
Socket A & 754 Sempron caution. Wes Newell AMD Overclocking 16 08-08-2004 04:23 PM
Are Heat Sink fans for socket 754 AMD CPU's compatable with the socket 939 Motherboards? Keith S. AMD Thunderbird 0 07-04-2004 12:35 PM
Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ? We Live for the One we Die for the One AMD Overclocking 13 06-19-2004 01:00 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment