Socket A, anybody?

Airman Thunderbird

I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you
find them. What gives?

Dylan C

Airman Thunderbird wrote:

> I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
> notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you
> find them. What gives?

Because there are alot of people just like you out there. Newer socket
A setups are still robust enough to run just about anything except
resource-consuming games. That means everyone is trying to eek the last
few years of life out of their systems before being forced into upgrading.

-Dylan C

Airman Thunderbird

I guess, just seems silly that I can buy an X2 3800 Athlon cheaper than
a 3000XP.

Dylan C wrote:
> Airman Thunderbird wrote:
>>
>> I've got an extra NF7-S v2.0 and in looking for a Socket A processor
>> notice they're about as scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive when you
>> find them. What gives?

> Because there are alot of people just like you out there. Newer socket
> A setups are still robust enough to run just about anything except
> resource-consuming games. That means everyone is trying to eek the last
> few years of life out of their systems before being forced into upgrading.
>
> -Dylan C

Wes Newell

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:01:59 -0500, Airman Thunderbird wrote:

> I guess, just seems silly that I can buy an X2 3800 Athlon cheaper than
> a 3000XP.

if you're looking for 3000+ speeds at a cheap price, then you have several
options. Buy a cheap Barton core mobile XP-M and run it at 3000+ speeds or
faster. Or get a Duron 1800 and set the FSB to 166 for 2250MHz. You can
but either of these new for under $50. pricewatch.com

Walter

I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact me
offline.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Walter wrote:
> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
> me offline.

Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals.

SumGuy

"c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c4a04b$0$3763$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Walter wrote:
>> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
>> me offline.
>>

> Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals.

So are Slot A and Slot 1 ;-)

Walter

You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x 2"
x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading the
OP more carefully.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c4a04b$0$3763$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Walter wrote:
>> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
>> me offline.
>>

> Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals.

SumGuy

"Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46c4e2c5$0$3825$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x
> 2" x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading
> the OP more carefully.
>
> --

ROLF, you don't have a Slot A, no such beast. You have a Slot 1, hence my
other post.

Or maybe you do have a Slot A, which would be a rarity and maybe worth
something ;-)

> ______________________________
>
> Walter B
> waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
> ______________________________
>

> "c" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46c4a04b$0$3763$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Walter wrote:
>>> I have a PIII 450 that I will never use again. If interested, contact
>>> me offline.
>>>

>> Slot A and socket A are 2 different animals.

Beryl

SumGuy wrote:
> "Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46c4e2c5$0$3825$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>You're correct. Thanks. What I have must be a Slot A. It's about 6" x
>>2" x 2" and the connector looks like a DIMM. I apologize for not reading
>>the OP more carefully.
>>
>>--

> ROLF, you don't have a Slot A, no such beast. You have a Slot 1, hence my
> other post.
>
> Or maybe you do have a Slot A, which would be a rarity and maybe worth
> something ;-)

Slot A beasts are listed here
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYP...Slot%20A).html