Software to identify keysrokes.

Mark Healey

I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
the shift, ctrl and alt keys.

I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
pressed.

Is there something?

I'll go blind following traces.

Arno Wagner

Previously Mark Healey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
> the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
> the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
> each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
> can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
> the shift, ctrl and alt keys.

> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
> pressed.

> Is there something?

Under X11, xev (X-event) should do the trick. Put the cursore into the
square and it will report each input event in full detail.

> I'll go blind following traces.

Hehe.

Arno

MasterBlaster

"Mark Healey" wrote

> I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
> the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
> the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
> each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
> can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
> the shift, ctrl and alt keys.
>
> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
> pressed.
>
> Is there something?
>
> I'll go blind following traces.

Any help at all? (Copied it off the web some time last year)
http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1...ard-matrix.txt

Cl.Massé

"Mark Healey" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed)

> I have a cheapo RF wireless keyboard for which I am trying to determine
> the key matrix. I have figured out which pins of the circuit board go to
> the keyboard and which axis each belongs to. I plan to short one from
> each axis and see what keystroke the computer gets to figure it out. I
> can't do this with a simple text editor because of the duplicate keys and
> the shift, ctrl and alt keys.
>
> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
> pressed.

The keyboard doesn't send the key number, but scan codes like: key #x is
pressed (make code), key #y is released (break code). And that is true for
every physical key.

The scan code is returned along with the ascii code by the function 0 of the
interrupt 0x16:
On entry:
ah = 0
On exit:
al = 0 & ah = scan code extended keyboard
or
al = ascii code & ah = scan code
cx, dx, si, di, & bp unchanged.

--
~~~~ clmasse on free F-country
Free technical support at : http://www.protonic.com/

Mark Healey

>> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
>> pressed.

>> Is there something?

> Under X11, xev (X-event) should do the trick. Put the cursore into the
> square and it will report each input event in full detail.

Just what I thought I needed. It turns out I found an easier way.

Mark Healey

>> I need something to run in linux that can tell me which of the keys was
>> pressed.
>>
>> Is there something?
>>
>> I'll go blind following traces.

> Any help at all? (Copied it off the web some time last year)
> http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/pics1...ard-matrix.txt

No, that only applies to one model of keyboard.