Software Update ML Surprise

MC

Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
didn't.

I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
software updates.

Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
Store...

Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

John Albert

On 8/1/12 1:50 PM, MC wrote:
> I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
> software updates.
>
> Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
> Store...

You can steal the -old version- of Software Update from
Lion, and put it into your Applications or Utilities folder,
double-click it, and it will run, "just like before".

MC

In article <501bfb67$0$14582$(E-Mail Removed) >,
John Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 8/1/12 1:50 PM, MC wrote:
> > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
> > software updates.
> >
> > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
> > Store...

> You can steal the -old version- of Software Update from
> Lion, and put it into your Applications or Utilities folder,
> double-click it, and it will run, "just like before".

I don't mind the new way so long as it works... and I assume it does.

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

Ant

Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
any updates yet though?

On 8/1/2012 10:50 AM PT, MC typed:

> Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
> didn't.
>
> I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
> software updates.
>
> Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
> Store...
>
> Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

--
"Number fourteen. The naughty bits of an ant." --Monty Python's Flying
Circus

MC

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 8/1/2012 10:50 AM PT, MC typed:
>
> > Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
> > didn't.
> >
> > I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
> > software updates.
> >
> > Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
> > Store...
> >
> > Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
> any updates yet though?

I haven't seen any.

--

"If you can, tell me something happy."
- Marybones

Ant

On 8/3/2012 11:12 AM PT, MC typed:

>>> Well that's interesting... You all probably know about this, but I
>>> didn't.
>>>
>>> I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
>>> software updates.
>>>
>>> Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
>>> Store...
>>>
>>> Looks like they're integrating a lot of things across the board.

>> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
>> any updates yet though?

> I haven't seen any.

Thanks. I wonder what it would look like if there were updates.
--
"I love ants. Do they have uncles? Ha Ha!" --Elmo from Sesame Street
(unknown episode)

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 8/3/2012 11:12 AM PT, MC typed:

> >> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
> >> any updates yet though?

> > I haven't seen any.

> Thanks. I wonder what it would look like if there were updates.

The App Store icon gets a number [of updates pending] badge.

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

*Hemidactylus*

On 08/03/2012 03:10 PM, Tom Stiller wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 8/3/2012 11:12 AM PT, MC typed:

>>> I haven't seen any.

>> Thanks. I wonder what it would look like if there were updates.

> The App Store icon gets a number [of updates pending] badge.

I think there's usually a number in a tiny red circle or something like
that.

When I clicked Software Update it takes me to the App Store where it
will say Checking for Updates then that none are available.

I went ahead and shelled out 20 bucks for the upgrade to Mountain Lion
last night. The only real complaint I have it it changed my resolution
from 720 ro 1080 and all the icons and text were tiny. I set it back to 720.

Camino wasn't launching, so I kicked it to the curb, which I was
thinking of doing anyway.

David Empson

Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yeah, I noticed that last week as well. I do NOT like it. Has there been
> any updates yet though?

Yes, I got updates to iPhoto and some other applications which I had
originally installed from DVD.

Things previously delivered via Software Update appear in a list at the
top of the "Updates" page in App Store, with a dividing line separating
them from App Store updates. The general appearance of each item is
similar to updates for App Store purchases, with the description and an
indication of whether a restart is required, but it doesn't have the
ability to go to a full window detail page like you can with an App
update.

The underlying mechanism for handling OS-level software updates is the
same as for Lion and earlier (e.g. the command line tools are the same,
and the online update checks and downloads come from the same servers).
It is just the user interface which shifted into App Store.

My only complaint about the new user interface: App Store does not show
the size of the downloads before you click on the button to download the
update. If I'm on a slow or expensive broadband connection, I want to
know whether I can justify downloading an update now, or should wait
until I'm at home.

The size is displayed after it starts downloading, and it can be paused,
so it is manageable, just a minor irritation.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Lewis

In message <501bfb67$0$14582$(E-Mail Removed) >
John Albert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 8/1/12 1:50 PM, MC wrote:
>> I installed ML and out of interest checked to see if there were any
>> software updates.
>>
>> Instead of the Software Update window I'm used to, it launched App
>> Store...

> You can steal the -old version- of Software Update from
> Lion, and put it into your Applications or Utilities folder,
> double-click it, and it will run, "just like before".

Why?

--
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN --Feet of Clay

Quake 4 Full won't install on Windows XP 64 bit. InstallShield Error Big surprise ! NOT !!! Skybuck Flying Nvidia 34 05-25-2006 10:33 AM
Big surprise from Dell Joel Dell 6 01-09-2006 11:05 AM
Software Update Surprise Henry Flam Apple 2 11-22-2005 04:56 AM
Pleasant surprise -- Doom 3 Performance deimos Nvidia 7 08-05-2004 05:34 AM
New fan, temperature surprise Bill Sudbrink Abit 1 04-22-2004 05:04 PM