Something running at startup

Bob

Every time I do a cold start with my Presario V5000 something is
running that hogs the CPU for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. This has been going on
for a week now. No, it is not a virus and does not try to access the
Internet.

How do I check to see what is running ?

Bob

HH

What operating system? If XP, right click on the Taskbar and select Task
Manager. There is a tab for open applications and one for smaller utilities,
etc., called Proccesses. Also, clicking the Performance tab will reveal how
much CPU usage going on.

HH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I do a cold start with my Presario V5000 something is
> running that hogs the CPU for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. This has been going on
> for a week now. No, it is not a virus and does not try to access the
> Internet.
>
> How do I check to see what is running ?
>
> Bob

Tester

On Tue, 08 May 2007 07:28:45 -0400, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Every time I do a cold start with my Presario V5000 something is
>running that hogs the CPU for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. This has been going on
>for a week now. No, it is not a virus and does not try to access the
>Internet.
>
> How do I check to see what is running ?
>
> Bob

There's a program called MSCONFIG. It is included with Windows but, at
least in my experience, it usually isn't installed.

Try running msconfig.

If that doesn't work, try running cmd and in the cmd box run the
following commands:

cd \I386
expand -r MSCONFIG.EX_
expand -r MSCONFIG.CH_
move msconfig.exe \windows\system32
move msconfig.chm \windows\system32

Now you can run msconfig

On the right tab you can see the startup programs and you can stop
them from running on startup.

You can also use Regedit to control what runs on startup but it is a
very sharp knife and you should always back up what you remove.

Almost everything that runs on startup runs in the branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

There is also RunOnce and RunOnceEx in both of these.

There is also a startup folder in your start menu.

There are also "services" and these are harder to find.

For example, I ran services.msc and changed the Lightscribe service
from automatic to manual because I don't have Lightscribe media and it
seems silly to have Lightscribe running when I can't use it.

It seems that every damned thing one installs seems to need a startup
program. A program that you run once a month needs to install a
startup hook that makes it load a few seconds faster but, in the
meantime, is eating up ram, disk space and cycles.

Programs need to check for updates. Apple's update program from
Quicktime wants to install Ituner. Ituner needs to install a service
to run with an Ipod whether or not you have an Ipod.

Bob

On Tue, 08 May 2007 07:28:45 -0400, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Every time I do a cold start with my Presario V5000 something is
>running that hogs the CPU for 1 ~ 1 1/2 hours. This has been going on
>for a week now. No, it is not a virus and does not try to access the
>Internet.
>
> How do I check to see what is running ?
>
> Bob

It turns out it was a "process" that was running. I could halt all
processes from loading at boot and the problem went away. I was in the
process of eliminating the process's from loading one at a time,
tedious. I am not certain, but it appears as though the CD player was
some how involved. Maybe the computer was looking for a lost disc I had
used some time ago.

While the problem was happening the "Autoplay" dialog box with the
wagging flashlight would briefly pop up. If I was extremely quick I
could click the "Cancel" button on that dialog box and the hard drive
would quit thrashing. That led me to insert a CD in the drive to see
what would happen. Nothing. The CD would not play. I gave up for the
day. This morning I booted the machine and presto, problem gone.

So for now, my laptop is back to normal. Hopefully it stays that way.
Or almost back to normal anyway. I still have a persistent keyboard
problem. The computer skips key strokes occasionally, very annoying. HP
says it is a keyboard driver conflict with one of the pieces of software
I have installed. HP said the Quick Launch Buttons software they use is
the keyboard driver for this notebook and it will not work without Quick
Launch running.

Bob