sound card almost works

Elector

"peter gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fAHHb.300$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi every one,
>
> I have a Packard bell Pulsar 23 running windows 98se/. My problem is

that I
> have put a new soundcard in it and successfully loaded the driver.

The card
> works fine on start up but after about 20 minutes complete silence.
>
> I have tried everything but with no success, this one is driving me

nuts.
> I have searched the manufacturers and other websites but with no

joy. I am
> semi computer literate and all I can guess at is that is an IRQ

setting
> problem, is this a possibility? If so how do I change these settings
>
> Any help would be appreciated as I have been struggling with this

for almost
> a year and am considering a course of Prozac for my nerves!
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

Start-settings-control panel-system-device manager-sound,video & game
controllers

Look at the settings and see if there are any yellow exclamation
points or red exclamation points. Double click on the old sound card
if it is still present and select the "do not run in this profile" the
message may vary. Or follow the error message for the device showing
the conflict. After that is done restart the computer to set the
system details.

it should then work OK.

Also under the properties if there are any conflicts as IRQ or DMA you
can set them manually from the properties for the sound device in
Device Manager.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Simon

If you look in the control panel for the Sounds & Audio section just check
the following settings:

Default Device: <should display your 'new' soundcard, if not use the drop
down menu to select it.

Sound Recording Device: <As above>

Midi Music Playback: <As above>

There may also be a check box to make Windows always use the default
Soundcard...

Not knowing which type of soundcard you have added doesn't help but I hope
the above helps.

Simon

"peter gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2dIHb.315$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Elector.
>
> Unfortunately it didn't work, there are no exclamation marks in device
> properties and no conflicts showing up.
> Nice try.
>
> Peter
>

> "Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sLHHb.84887$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "peter gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:fAHHb.300$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi every one,
> > >
> > > I have a Packard bell Pulsar 23 running windows 98se/. My problem is

> > that I
> > > have put a new soundcard in it and successfully loaded the driver.

> > The card
> > > works fine on start up but after about 20 minutes complete silence.
> > >
> > > I have tried everything but with no success, this one is driving me

> > nuts.
> > > I have searched the manufacturers and other websites but with no

> > joy. I am
> > > semi computer literate and all I can guess at is that is an IRQ

> > setting
> > > problem, is this a possibility? If so how do I change these settings
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated as I have been struggling with this

> > for almost
> > > a year and am considering a course of Prozac for my nerves!
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >

> > Start-settings-control panel-system-device manager-sound,video & game
> > controllers
> >
> > Look at the settings and see if there are any yellow exclamation
> > points or red exclamation points. Double click on the old sound card
> > if it is still present and select the "do not run in this profile" the
> > message may vary. Or follow the error message for the device showing
> > the conflict. After that is done restart the computer to set the
> > system details.
> >
> > it should then work OK.
> >
> > Also under the properties if there are any conflicts as IRQ or DMA you
> > can set them manually from the properties for the sound device in
> > Device Manager.
> >
> > I hope that helped?
> >
> > Elector

Simon

Glad it worked...

Simon

"peter gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SRKHb.377$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simon, I checked the default soundcard box you mentioned and it has worked

> treat! Thanks very very much you have made my day.
>
> Mucho Grassyass Amigo
>
> Peter
>
> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8KIHb.6088$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > If you look in the control panel for the Sounds & Audio section just

check
> > the following settings:
> >
> > Default Device: <should display your 'new' soundcard, if not use the

drop
> > down menu to select it.
> >
> > Sound Recording Device: <As above>
> >
> > Midi Music Playback: <As above>
> >
> > There may also be a check box to make Windows always use the default
> > Soundcard...
> >

> > Not knowing which type of soundcard you have added doesn't help but I

hope
> > the above helps.
> >
> > Simon
> >

> > "peter gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:2dIHb.315$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks Elector.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately it didn't work, there are no exclamation marks in device
> > > properties and no conflicts showing up.
> > > Nice try.
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >

> > > "Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:sLHHb.84887$(E-Mail Removed)...

is

silence.

me

settings

game

the

you

peter gallagher

Hi every one,

I have a Packard bell Pulsar 23 running windows 98se/. My problem is that I
have put a new soundcard in it and successfully loaded the driver. The card
works fine on start up but after about 20 minutes complete silence.

I have tried everything but with no success, this one is driving me nuts.
I have searched the manufacturers and other websites but with no joy. I am
semi computer literate and all I can guess at is that is an IRQ setting
problem, is this a possibility? If so how do I change these settings

Any help would be appreciated as I have been struggling with this for almost
a year and am considering a course of Prozac for my nerves!

Cheers

Peter

peter gallagher

Thanks Elector.

Unfortunately it didn't work, there are no exclamation marks in device
properties and no conflicts showing up.
Nice try.

Peter

"Elector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sLHHb.84887$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "peter gallagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fAHHb.300$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi every one,
> >
> > I have a Packard bell Pulsar 23 running windows 98se/. My problem is

> that I
> > have put a new soundcard in it and successfully loaded the driver.

> The card
> > works fine on start up but after about 20 minutes complete silence.
> >
> > I have tried everything but with no success, this one is driving me

> nuts.
> > I have searched the manufacturers and other websites but with no

> joy. I am
> > semi computer literate and all I can guess at is that is an IRQ

> setting
> > problem, is this a possibility? If so how do I change these settings
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated as I have been struggling with this

> for almost
> > a year and am considering a course of Prozac for my nerves!
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Peter
> >

> Start-settings-control panel-system-device manager-sound,video & game
> controllers
>
> Look at the settings and see if there are any yellow exclamation
> points or red exclamation points. Double click on the old sound card
> if it is still present and select the "do not run in this profile" the
> message may vary. Or follow the error message for the device showing
> the conflict. After that is done restart the computer to set the
> system details.
>
> it should then work OK.
>
> Also under the properties if there are any conflicts as IRQ or DMA you
> can set them manually from the properties for the sound device in
> Device Manager.
>
> I hope that helped?
>
> Elector

peter gallagher

Simon, I checked the default soundcard box you mentioned and it has worked a