Sound distortion with WMP9/MovieMaker2 playing AVIs [CMI8738 onboard sound and DX sound hardware acceleration]

George R.

hi,

i was looking around on google and found that many others seem to have the
same problem.

The problem actually comes in two parts:

*** I have AVI videos which contain an 8bit PCM sound stream (as recorded by
my camera).

When i play these videos in WMP9 i get a 'swooshing' sound which resembles a
washing machine. First i thought it has to do with the camera, but yesterday
i found out i can get rid of the distortion by switching back sound hardware
acceleration two notches. (Basic Acceleration).

Any one a idea why i have to switch back h/w accerleration and what causes
the 'washing machine sound' ? Codecs ? WMP9 ??

*** MovieMaker2:

When i play my videos as clips in MM2 the sound is fine. But when i put the
clips in the time line and play the clips it sounds very distorted, like MM2
compresses the sound wrong.... high pitch and distortion.
I was reading around and i read that some people say certain codecs may
confuse each other...but this is easier said than done. I dont think that
blindly renaming codecs is a good solution. And, yes, i have both WinDVD5
and PowerDVD5 installed.

The problem is kind of serious because it makes the sound of all my videos
sound horrible, and as it seems it happens *only* ??? in MovieMaker2.

My config:

Win XP SP1, AMD1900+, Radeon8500, DX9a, Cmedia 8738 onboard sound, latest
drivers and bioses etc

SCW

I was having the SAME problems as you my friend. Simple solution...use
Pinnacle Studio 8! I have tried many editing programs out there and none of
them can beat this program. It is easy to use, has great tools and it just
plain works! It even works perfectly with my movies I make from my Fuji
FinePix F401 Zoom digital camera.

I have spent way to many hours and days trying to figure out MM issues and
I'm done with it. Until Microsoft can get their act together it will never
work correctly. This was not a problem with MM1, this started with MM2.

And why would you want to use MM anyways? You can only save in what 1 or 2
formats? Pinnacle lets you save in like 6 different formats. Why be
limited by MM?

"George R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bea6nb$2r7ot$(E-Mail Removed)...

> hi,
>
> i was looking around on google and found that many others seem to have the
> same problem.
>
> The problem actually comes in two parts:
>
> *** I have AVI videos which contain an 8bit PCM sound stream (as recorded

by
> my camera).
>
> When i play these videos in WMP9 i get a 'swooshing' sound which resembles

> washing machine. First i thought it has to do with the camera, but

yesterday
> i found out i can get rid of the distortion by switching back sound

hardware
> acceleration two notches. (Basic Acceleration).
>
> Any one a idea why i have to switch back h/w accerleration and what causes
> the 'washing machine sound' ? Codecs ? WMP9 ??
>

> *** MovieMaker2:
>
> When i play my videos as clips in MM2 the sound is fine. But when i put

the
> clips in the time line and play the clips it sounds very distorted, like

MM2
> compresses the sound wrong.... high pitch and distortion.
> I was reading around and i read that some people say certain codecs may
> confuse each other...but this is easier said than done. I dont think that
> blindly renaming codecs is a good solution. And, yes, i have both WinDVD5
> and PowerDVD5 installed.
>
> The problem is kind of serious because it makes the sound of all my videos
> sound horrible, and as it seems it happens *only* ??? in MovieMaker2.
>

> My config:
>
> Win XP SP1, AMD1900+, Radeon8500, DX9a, Cmedia 8738 onboard sound, latest
> drivers and bioses etc

George R.

"SCW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was having the SAME problems as you my friend. Simple solution...use
> Pinnacle Studio 8! I have tried many editing programs out there and none

of
> them can beat this program. It is easy to use, has great tools and it

just
> plain works! It even works perfectly with my movies I make from my Fuji
> FinePix F401 Zoom digital camera.
>
> I have spent way to many hours and days trying to figure out MM issues and
> I'm done with it. Until Microsoft can get their act together it will

never
> work correctly. This was not a problem with MM1, this started with MM2.
>
> And why would you want to use MM anyways? You can only save in what 1 or

2
> formats? Pinnacle lets you save in like 6 different formats. Why be
> limited by MM?

i think asking for the right video editing program would be the same as
opening a can of worms

However, i just got Sonic Foundry Vegas 4.0

Don't know about Premiere, Ulead, Pinnacle etc.

What programs did you take a look at and what did you like/dislike ?

greetings